U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:34 PM

270 posts, read 313,285 times

Advertisements

Elizabeth Kellner Towne was born 23 March 1907. Her father was Charles Wayland Towne, her mother was Edith H. Kellner Towne. They married on 4 February 1906 in Plaistow, NH.

The US Census for 1910 lists Charles W. Town, age 32, living at 28 Broad Street in Newburyport with wife, Edith, age 25, and daughter Elizabeth K, age 3.

The US Census for 1920 shows Charles W. Towne, age 44, as a boarder, living in New York, Brooklyn.

The US Census for 1920 shows Edith H. Kellner Towne, age 35, living in Providence, RI with infant Nancy, age 4.

I was told by Nancy Towne, my mother-in-law, before she passed, that her parents were separated sometime between 1915 and 1920, and that her sister, Elizabeth, went with her father, and Nancy went with her mother. I cannot find any record of Elizabeth after the 1910 census. Nor can I find any divorce records. I know Elizabeth passed in 1974, her name was Elizabeth McColour at the time. She married Anthony Stokes McColour in 1933.

I have been working through Ancestry.com, but don't know how to find out what happened to Elizabeth. She never shows up on any census again, and she sure didn't go with Charles W. Towne on his escapades, and is not included as part of his other two marriages.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? This is an amazing forum, hope someone can help! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 12:42 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,156,486 times
Roberta ~ Since Elizabeth's married name is not a common one, zabasearch.com shows a Mary McColour in TX. There are several phone numbers for her. Why not try her? She was born in 1940.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:15 AM

Thanks! That is going to be a good lead. I'll try that! Bobbi

Old 03-17-2009, 11:17 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,783,534 times
What a great family history. Charles Wayland Towne is in Who's Who in America and Who's Who in New England. Edith Hahne Kellner's family was of the Hahne's Department store in Newark NJ. When I was young I spent many happy afternoons there with my mother. It was the nicest store in Newark.

Did C.W. Towne have any ties to Arizona? There was a Richard S Towne 1/22/1930 - 5/19/1997 place of death was Columbia MD, but SS# was issued in Arizona. It appears that family members are still in MD. Anne C. Towne (probably daughter) 443-535-0741.

Also, C.W. Towne co-authored many works with his cousin Edward Norris Wentworth:

Animal Science at Iowa State - Archives, EN Wentworth (http://www.ans.iastate.edu/faculty/wentworth/wentworth.html - broken link)

Title details ('The Genealogy of Edward Norris Wentworth')

Maybe there will be something in his history that may be helpful.

Found record of an Arthur Stokes McColour b. 5/7/1907 - d. 5/11/1975 Relative?
RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: BIrd, Fuller, Jeansonne, Ducote, Coleman, Harrist, Thompson, Williams, Hoff, and many, many more
Arthur's son Max b 2/3/1941 - d 2/26/1998

Last edited by ElizNJ; 03-17-2009 at 11:25 AM..

Old 03-17-2009, 04:40 PM

Hi ElizNJ!
You are right on, that is the correct family. I have been searching for Richard Sayre Town for several years, and did not know he is deceased. I will call that number and see if Anne is a relative. Thanks for the tip! Richard was the son of CW Towne's third wife. I had his birth year as 1939, maybe that's why I couldn't find him.
CW Towne also used the pen name Gideon Wurdz, and wrote several humerous books which have since been republished. I was able to get some information from Brown University (where he went to college) by way of one of his other grandsons by his second marriage. When we got in touch, the other grandson did not know that CW had been married before, or after. He didn't know anything about Elizabeth Kellner Towne either.
Thanks again for the tip and the information! I'll let you know what I find out.

Bobbi

Old 03-17-2009, 04:49 PM

I called Anne C. Towne, and she is the daughter of Richard S. Towne. She asked me to call her mother, Joan Towne, tomorrow morning, which I will do. She said that CW Towne ADOPTED Richard when he married Priscilla Sayre. This is very interesting. She didn't know that her grandfather had been married before.

Bobbi

Old 03-17-2009, 06:27 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,156,486 times
Good job ElizNJ!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:41 PM

1,830 posts, read 4,759,049 times
ElizNJ is always amazing.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:14 PM

I have learned much about Richard S. Towne's wife and children. They have wonderful things to say about Charles Wayland Towne, which is nice to hear. Unfortunately no one knows anything about Elizabeth Kellner Towne. Richard's wife said that he once mentioned that he had some daughters, but they never knew any of them. My search continues, but it is wonderful to have connected with another part of CW Towne's family, even if it is by adoption! Thanks everyone! I will continue the search on the McColour name, maybe one of them knows something.

Bobbi

Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 PM

1,830 posts, read 4,759,049 times
My guess:
Elizabeth was sent to live with Edith's parents. They aren't in the 1920 Census either. Sometime before the Census-taking, they took her to Europe as part of the proper education for a young lady of Society. While in Europe she met her husband the dashing Anthony Stokes McColour, who also seems to be missing from the Census.

4 yr old Nancy remembers her sister left when her father left, so in her mind they left together. But it wasn't feasible for a single man to have a young daughter with him. The Census shows he didn't, and since his later family has very little knowledge of her, she clearly didn't go to live with his parents. What makes the most sense is, she was either at boarding school or with the maternal grandparents. If Nancy has no memory of Elizabeth coming home for holidays, being with the grandparents in Europe seems most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search