U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:08 PM

10 posts, read 21,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Well Bob...I made my phone calls and I am sorry to pass on the information that your friend Tommy Acker has passed away, along with his wife. I found this information out from a gentleman named Ronald Alt. I basically called a bunch of Alt's as there was only one Acker in the phone book and there was no answer there.
I wish this would have turned out better for you. I am so sorry.
I LOVE PA,

As a direct result of your assistance I was able to go a lot deeper into locating Tommy Acker. I too spoke with Ronald, then his brother and on to the desendents of Tommy's Aunt Beth, all of whom live in and around Moscow, PA... they are really great people. Here is "the rest of the story" about how I began my search for Tommy.

Tommy was not actually an old friend of mine as you sumized in your message. Several weeks ago my wife and I were having dinner with a German couple, Erna and Horst, who live across the street. During the course of the evening Erna began telling us the story of her nephew who had tried unsuccessfully five years ago to locate his father. Her nephew was the son of Erna's sister and Tommy Acker. Tommy Acker's son was born around 1954 as a result of his father's relationship with Erna's sister that had developed while he was stationed over here. For reasons unknown to us Tommy was restationed to the States and the infant Tommy and his mother remained here in Germany. Erna's sister subsequently remarried; however, Tommy's new father, as I understand it, was abusive toward Tommy to such an extent the Erna and her mother raised the child. Erna has a heart of gold and I could easily imagine her taking on this additional responsibility and enduring the hardships it entailed.

THomas' mother back in America was aware of this situation and wanted to do whatever she could to assist. She was a deeply religious, very caring person. She tried to encourage Tommy Junior's mother to bring the baby to the States and marry Thomas' brother. One thing that she did, and this really assisted in my search, was to send a Christmas card and a one dollar bill to Tommy Junior every year. She would write a page and always signed off as Grandma, Grandpa and Aunt Beth.

While at dinner Erna handed me a folder that contained the results of Tommy Junior's initial search. It is my impression that Tommy Junior, who is now in his 50's, wanted to make contact for obvious medical information reasons but more important to address the large void in his life that this entire situation created. This feeling of not knowing affects some people more than others and I believe that it was constantly on Tommy Junior's mind.

In my search for information I came across a one of the sites for veteran's which contained a section for those looking for a parent or parents they had never known. A number of visitors had such scant family information that it was clear that only an act of God would help. They were searching for a needle in the haystack but they didn't even know what the needle looked like. The pain in their lives and the anguish of not knowing leaped from the page. This reinforced my efforts and lead me to this site where I posed my initial request. Two other great people responded and I was overwhelmed by they concern and efforts to assist. Your response floored me...I couldn't imagine someone calling around looking for information to assist someone they had never met. I sincerely appreciate your assistance, you are indeed one of Pennsylvania's greatest assets, an Ambassador of Hope.

As you mentioned the outcome was one that neither of us wanted. This story had the potential for significant happiness, but the turn of events is not all sad as it will assist in closing a chapter in Tommy Junior's life. He will unquestionable have other questions and I will contact his Aunt Beth for those answers. Yes, I did find her thanks to you and I also found that she is the mother of four great kids who have their own families. Who knows, maybe Tommy Junior can get over there some day and meet his big, extended family.

All of this was made possible by your efforts to help others. I am deeply greatful.

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 12:40 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,300,288 times
Quote:
Bob, I work for a family that has lived in Moscow for over 70 years...I'll ask them and get back to you.
Just wanted to give kudos to you for being such a caring person!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 01:15 PM

307 posts, read 664,881 times
Wow what an interesting story! Thank you for coming back to explain. I am so sorry I was unable to help, my mil has been in The hospital and the ICU and we were very caught up in that.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:43 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,792,059 times
Bob.....W..O...W....that was a beautiful story. Thanks so much for sharing, and I must sa...you have an utmost flair for writing...I felt like I was reading the first page of a book that you can't put down. I am truly happy that you have found some living relatives for Tommy Jr. Moscow is a beautiful place with sincerely beautiful people. Hopefully on day he can come for a visit.

It truly warms my heart that I was able to assist in a small way....I wish I could feel that way every day....just reach out to someone EVERY single day....make a difference. Your words are too kind....
Thnak YOU for the opportunity to assist you.

Donna

Old 06-05-2009, 10:40 PM

10 posts, read 21,940 times
Default Update

Quote:
Bob.....W..O...W....that was a beautiful story. Thanks so much for sharing, and I must sa...you have an utmost flair for writing...I felt like I was reading the first page of a book that you can't put down. I am truly happy that you have found some living relatives for Tommy Jr. Moscow is a beautiful place with sincerely beautiful people. Hopefully on day he can come for a visit.

It truly warms my heart that I was able to assist in a small way....I wish I could feel that way every day....just reach out to someone EVERY single day....make a difference. Your words are too kind....
Thnak YOU for the opportunity to assist you.

Donna
Donna,

The saga continues a bit further here and I thought you might be interested: I was able to locate the name of Thomas Acker in a SSN site that lists deceased persons. It provided the date and place (Texas) which enabled me to conduct an obituary search though local papers. Thomas Acker passsed away in March 2008. In reading his obituary it was clear that he had established his roots in Texas, after 26 years in the Army, and was blessed with a number of kids and grandkids. Had Tommy Jr been successful in his initial search five years ago he might have had an opportunity to meet his father. I passed the information to Erna, our neighbor, and she explained to Tommy that I had located his Aunt Beth and other family members, and although she indicated to Tommy that his father might have passed away, she could not find it within herself to discuss his father's actual death. I believe that she had seen Tommy live through his anguish over the years she did not have the heart to bring on more pain. She asked me to speak with him. Erna did add that Tommy and his family were in tears when he explained to them that his father had been located, but that the final news might not be good.

I met Tommy and his family (wife/daughter/son) a week later when they were attending Erna's birthday party. He expressed his appreciation for what I had accomplished and I asked him to come over to my place where we sat down and went over the results of my research. I showed him this web site and explained how you and several others had also given of your own time to assist in locating his father. He sincerely appreciates your efforts. I worked through the timeline of this search which lead me to the actual obituary about his father's death. In a solumn moment I expalined that his dad had passed away and subsequently handed him the obituary. We went over it word for word as Tommy does not speak a great deal of English...it was an emotional time.

Tommy has essentially nothing from his father and is interested in any photos that might be available. I have located the phone numbers of several Acker family members in Texas and will try to make contact. I have not yet been able to reach his Aunt Beth in PA but will continue to try.

That is where we are and the search goes on. Again, we would not be this far without your assistance. If you would like I would be more than happy to provide another update when we are further down the road.

Many thanks,

Bob

Old 06-22-2009, 06:06 PM

7 posts, read 9,071 times
Mr. Hase,

I am eagerly awaiting the "packet" you told my Aunt you were sending to me. To date I have not recieved it. I am very interested in finding out more about the "Tommy" you were speaking about. Thomas Acker was my Father.

Diane

Old 06-23-2009, 09:44 AM

86 posts, read 170,519 times
Maybe before people give out details on people they should think about it a lot more. It may be a safety thing. "Sometimes" people look for people for not so good reasons. Sorry don't mean to offend anyone here, but I believe in privacy.

I think in this case it may not be a concern, but just be careful all around.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:46 AM

86 posts, read 170,519 times
Oh I see, now all the details are posted. I should have read further. Glad to hear this was a search for a good reason. Best wishes to all.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:12 AM

2,833 posts, read 9,792,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livetolive View Post
Oh I see, now all the details are posted. I should have read further. Glad to hear this was a search for a good reason. Best wishes to all.
Yes...this was a wonderful story......

bob...I sent you a DM...didn't see the last post that you put here with the continuation....I feel so very sad for 'Tommy'.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:08 PM

7 posts, read 9,071 times
Bob, I still have not heard from you. I emailed you and have posted here. I can't do anything to welcome Tommy into the family if you don't allow me to. Please at least email me to let me know he doesn't want to pursue this or if he does how to get in touch with him. I have many German friends that are eager to translate for me. We are anxiously waiting. Diane

dianeb133@hctc.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or