U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 11:21 PM

120 posts, read 347,129 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I know this is not much informationm and I am sorry about this, but it is all I have. I am helping my grandmother to locate the last classmate that she has spent years, and I mean years wondering about.

His name is Richard Hastings, he attended Siuslaw Highschool until the 11th grade and then transfered and graduated from Eugene Oregon in 1942. We believe he is probably between the age of 83-85 now. He had one sister. He might have lived in Missouri at some point, but grandma's searching skill and memory are alittle rough.

It is possible his parents when alive may have owned a Hastings Texaco gas station in Oregon?

Any information or obituaries to help put her wonders to rest would be incredible.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 01:33 AM

842 posts, read 1,979,362 times
If he graduated from Eugene, Oregon high school in 1942, then he may have then gone into the service to fight in WW II. That is what a lot of the graduates were doing then.
I don't have Ancestry service, but many libraries do have it for free. Just call the library and if they have it, sign up for time on one of their computers and you can get the records. Some of the other searchers on this site have Ancestry and if they pick up on this thread, they may jump in and help. Since you can get the military records free online, it would be the census records you are looking for.
If you do a search for Richard Hastings in Ancestry in Oregon, it will give you among other things the 1930 census, which is handy in getting his middle name, family members, age, etc. It also shows
U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
There were two listed out of Oregon for WWII,
Richard N Hastings, whose residence state was Oregon and who enlisted in that state and
Richard R Hastings, whose residence state was Oregon and who enlisted in Washington.
They also have:
World War II Prisoners of War, 1941-1946
and following that link shows that the Richard N Hastings, residence state Oregon, was a Prisoner of War in WW II.
I found Richard N Hastings military records online on a free site:
NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records)
At that time, his residence county was Umatilla. He enlisted in Portland, OR on 2/21/1941. He was born in OR, but it looks like the year of birth was 1913. If I am reading that right, I don't think he would be the right one as he would be about 95 right now. But, maybe I am not reading it right. He had 4 years of high school. He was a machinist.
Go here:
NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - World War II Prisoners of War Data File, 12/7/1941 - 11/19/1946
and sadly, you will find that this Richard N Hastings died as a Prisoner of War on 5/25/1945 in Stalag 2B Hammerstein, West Prussia. Germany was the detaining power. He was in the Army Infantry. His report date had been on 3/30/1943.
The other Richard R Hastings, the Oregon native who enlisted in WA can be found here:
NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records)
His year of birth is 1922, so he is much closer in age to what you are referring to, but even so, he would still be either 86 or 87 right now, a bit older then the age you have. His residence county and state was Wasco County, Oregon. He enlisted 12/21/1942 in Spokane, Washington. He had 4 years of high school and his occupation was farm hand. I found a Richard Raymond Hastings in the Social Security Death Index:
RICHARD RAYMOND HASTINGS
BORN: 09 Apr 1922
DIED: 28 Oct 2007 (P)
PLACE OF DEATH: 97266 (Portland, Multnomah, OR)
SS# ISSUED IN: Oregon
I do not know if this is him, but it might be worthwhile to get his obit if you think it might be.
You also say he might have lived in Missouri. There is one Richard Hastings who lived in Lawrence County, MO when he enlisted. He enlisted on 9/30/1944. But it says this one was born in MO in 1925, and although that would put the age right, if your guy was born in OR it might not be him (although errors on paperwork are made). The other problem is with this guy not matching your guy, his education only went to grammar school and your guy graduated in 1942 you said. His occupation was general farmers.

If he graduated in 1942 and if he was 18 at that time, his year of birth would have been around 1924.
This site is really good for trying to place a location, age and relatives, though if you want the addresses, rather than pay you can use other sites to get the information for free. But you can put in Richard Hastings with a year of birth or an age and narrow it down. Here I put in 1925 and came up with a Richard N Hastings who they have in NY. But if you hit home at the bottom, you can play around with different ages or years or dates of birth.
MelissaData.com | People Summary
It will narrow down the number of people you are looking for. It will show you relatives.
There was also a Richard Raymond Hastings right in OR:
MelissaData.com | People Summary
Most likely the same on I listed above from the death index.
You can check the Social Security Death Index, a free search here:
Social Security Death Index Interactive Search
By clicking the Advanced Search button, you can limit the amount of info you get back by birth year, birth date, place SS# was issued, etc.
If you could have your grandma look at this information and see if it sounds familar and ask her if he went into the service in WWII to her knowledge. If you need more info, let me know.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:35 AM

1,830 posts, read 4,769,151 times
Here's the obit on Richard R. Hastings
Quote:
Richard R. Hastings

A funeral Mass will be at 11 a.m. Friday, Nov. 2, 2007, in St. Peter's Catholic Church in Portland for Richard R. Hastings, who died Oct. 28 at age 85. Recitation of the rosary will precede the Mass at 10:30 a.m.
Richard R. Hastings was born April 9, 1922, in Antelope. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe. He moved to Portland in about 1947, and was a millwright for Publishers Paper for more than 30 years. He was a member of the church for about 60 years and a volunteer for the St. Vincent de Paul Society. In 1950, he married Madonna C. Neiderer; she died in 2002.
Survivors include his daughters, Carole A. Donnelly and Debra K. Ginter; son, Richard W.; brothers, Ed, Bill and Jim; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Remembrances to his church. Arrangements by Mt. Scott.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 PM

Default Thank you all for this information however none of them fit perfectly with what we know.

I have further found out that he had 1 sister and NO brothers. His fathers name may have been Scott.

I have looked at Melissa Data, nothing there that really fits. I have looked at the SSI again nothing really fit. I have search for some obits, nothing really fits. It is almost as if this guy just disappeared.

My grandmother has a picture of him in the 11th grade when he attended siuslaw highschool in Florence Oregon. I looked at the alumni roster for Eugene highschool from 1942 but I saw no Hastings named Richard.

Thanks for all the help, everything is appreciated.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:37 PM

1,830 posts, read 4,769,151 times
There are only 4 Scott Hastings listed in the US in the 1930 Census. One of them, living in Redondo Beach, California in 1930 has a son listed as S. Richard Hastings, born about 1924, making him the correct age as your Grandmother's friend. The parents (Scott and Pearl) were born in Ohio, and S. Richard was born in California. Scott the father is listed as a Service Station Operator, which goes along with your grandmother's memory of his profession.

Checking the Birth Index: his birthday is 20 Jan 1924. That in turn leads us to Scott Richard Hastings living in:
POWELL, OH
BUCYRUS, OH

Possible Relatives:
HASTINGS, RONDA L (Age 49)
HASTINGS, DARLA V (Age 46)
HASTINGS, LEESA MADIN (Age 54)
HASTINGS, MARY LOU (Age 75)
HASTINGS, MARY L (Age 75)

I found both P.O box and residence addresses, but neither has a phone number listed:

Scott R Hastings
PO Box 752
Bucyrus, OH 44820-0752
phone number unavailable
Household: Mary L Hastings

Scott R Hastings
9466 Clermont Blvd
Powell, OH 43065-9163
phone number unavailable
Household: Darla V Hastings, Mary Hastings

Old 05-30-2009, 02:21 AM

so of course it is late at night, and I can't ask my grandma what she thinks about this, but I am sure we got the right guy.

She had mentioned something the first time she taked to my dad, was that she thought his name was Richard Scott after his dad, lol. And then on the next visit insisted she didn't say that. So it would make complete sense his name would be Scott Richard (after his dad).

I will let you all know how it goes. I thank you immensely for your time and endless selflessness for people you don't even know.

She is going to be beside herself with this information, in a good way. It is confirmed though, he is still living?

Old 05-30-2009, 03:02 AM

842 posts, read 1,979,362 times
Don't know if this is him or not, but it is the right city as the one above:
http://www.city-data.com/aradio/lic-Bucyrus-Ohio.html
Full list of 45 FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Bucyrus, OH:

Call Sign: KD8CET, Licensee ID: L01068843
Grant Date: 09/30/2005, Expiration Date: 09/30/2015, Certifier: Scott R Hastings
Registrant: Scott R Hastings, 1315 Lynne Ave, Bucyrus, OH 44820
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search