U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 06:30 AM

4 posts, read 16,057 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.As you can probably guess i am writing from Scotland.
I have been helping a gentleman from USA find his family tree.
The family came from a small village called CRIEFF.They moved to Marshall,SD
in 1883.I believe one of the family opened the first school in Marshall.
Does anyone have any information on this family.
William Morgan,his wife Elizabeth Morgan,(she died not long after there move)
william then married a Lady called Ada Platt.
Eliz and William already had 5 kids.Then william had another 5(i think )with Ada.
One of them was called Ruth.
Thats all i know.
Can anyone help please.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 12:56 PM

21 posts, read 63,767 times
This family homesteaded in Marshall County, South Dakota and are buried here. A few years ago I was contacted by a member of this family and found information for them. Just remember that it is Marshall County-not Marshall. Britton is the county seat for Marshall County. Hope that helps you.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:38 PM

4 posts, read 16,157 times
William Morgan was my husband's great great grandfather. According to the history given to my husband's grandmother (daughter of William and Elizabeth's son, George) Elizabeth and William had 8 children and William and Ada Platt had 4 children. Elizabeth and William's children's names were: George, John, Andrew, Catherine, Thomas, Hugh, Jean, and James. William and Ada's daughter's names were: Elizabeth, Nettie, Isabella and Ruth. I don't know what history you have, or whether you are looking for information about Scotland before they moved or South Dakota after they moved. We are looking for Information about Scotland. We know as far back as William and Elizabeth's parents. Anything you have would be appreciated. My dughter is in England right now studying abroad and is planning to go to Scotland in a few weeks. She would love any information you might have!

Old 02-27-2007, 03:58 PM

SCUBDOG
I have loads of information on the Scottish Morgans.I happen to visit the wee village ,Crieff, twice a year.I love to relax there.So let me know what you want and we could swap details.
I have the relatives,right back to 1750`s

Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 PM

Victoriax,

Please don't think me rude when I ask why you have so much information on the Morgan family. I am only curious! Are you related to them in some way? My daughter is extremely interested in tracing her roots. Unfortunately, her main source, Catherine Morgan Geiger (St. Paul, MN USA) has passed away. We have information as far back as William's parents, George Morgan and Jean McGregor. Apparently George owned a saw mill in Crieff. Their house was named Hosh House. Does this match the information that you have? Also, I do have a question for you. The information that we have is that William and Elizabeth's son,George, was born in South Dakota, USA in 1892. It sounds, from your first entry that all of William and Elizabeth's children were born in Scotland. This may be why we are having difficulty finding him. My daughter's name is Cassie. As I mentioned, she is studying in England and is planning a trip to Scotland. She is planning on going to Edinburgh, but wasn't sure she would know how to get to Crieff, especially in transportation,from there. She didn't think a train would get her there! Plus, she has no idea how to find the Morgan home. Do you have any information on the best travel mode and how she would locate the Morgan home?

It is amazing that I have found you. It makes the world so much smaller, doesn't it? You mentioned helping a man from the US in searching for this family. I don't expect you to give me a name, but, I am curious as to what his conection is to my husband's family.

I appreciate you taking the time for this. I can't tell you what it means. Grandma Geiger was very proud of her heritage and wanted me to pass it on to her grandchildren if I could.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:37 PM

Victoriax

At the risk of looking too much like a nube, I have found different information about William and Elizabeth's son George. He was indeed born in Scotland. He was 14 when they moved to South Dakota in 1891. The information we have is that they moved to Langford,South Dakota. George married Emmeline Impecoven in Langford, South Dakota in 1908. They moved to St. Paul, Minnesota. That is where Catherine Morgan was born in 1909 and Mabel Morgan was born in 1912.
George worked at the Soo Railroad. He was crushed between 2 trains and injured in 1920. He developed tuberculosis and died in 1921.

Sorry about the confusion! I'm working at it!

Old 03-13-2007, 06:32 PM

It is the correct family.We both have.They are not my relations.But,a gentleman who stay in USA,needed help to find them and i offered to do it as i live in Scotland.Easier that way.
It would make you two second cousins.My friends grandfather was william morgan.
One of williams daughters was this gents mum.
Could you send me a private message It would be much better.I dont want to give out 2 much on the forum.as i respect this gent.
I will send a private message to you with more info.I dont know how to send them on this site.
Get in touch.Thanks. I am.
Everything will become clearer,I do go on a bit.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:59 PM

victorax,
I tried to send a private message to you, but, you don't have it enabled in your options. If you go to your "control panel" and look under "settings & options" and then go to "edit options" and click on "enable private messages" you should be able to receive one from me. Please let me know when you are ready!
Scubdog

Old 04-25-2007, 05:50 PM

please reply.I do hope I can help.
victoria

Old 09-07-2007, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,843 times
Exclamation Grandparents

I am not sure whether this will do me any good but I will give it a shot. My grandmother was born in Scotland, I believe in Paisley about 1865. I have a birth certificate of when she gave birth to my aunt Janetta Wilson on July 20, 1895 in Paisley. She had married my grandfather James Wilson in 1888 in Paisley. The address on the certificate lists an address of 8 Gordons Lane in PAisley which I believe was her parents house. Her maiden name was Isabella McLean but I believe she was called Bella as a nick name. Where do I go to find out anything about her parents? I live in Springfield, Illinois USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search