U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,286 times

Advertisements

I write this from Australia as I and several cousins try to locate some long lost cousins, last heard of in the late 1800's. My gggrandmother Mary Dooley b c1826 immigrated on an Irish brideship to Australia 1853 without family as a result of the Great Famine in Ireland. Mary was said to be the daughter of an Edward Dooley (whitesmith) from Ireland (we suspect Co Galway or Offaly). It was said that she had many relatives whom immigrated to the US, but she preferred to go to Australia, where she said she would return to Ireland with her 'apron full of gold'. Incidently, many years later, she said she did find her 'apron full of gold' in her many children.
Getting back to the story, in 1890, Mary was contacted by her cousin Kate Murphy (nee Dooley) via a letter with the return address Mt Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania. In the letter, Kate refers to her father and mother (Larry Dooley and unknown whom were deceased by 1890), her brothers whom were living close by - Thomas, William, Martin and Larry Jnr. Another brother Patrick was said to be living in the Western States of USA and sister Bridget was said to have remained in IrelandUnfortunately our Australian Mary Dooley was illiterate and so it is unknown if she was able to reply to her cousins living in the US. However, there is currently a family of Dooley descendants living in Australia that would dearly love to get in touch with our Dooley relatives from Pennsylvania. We do not have much to go on, but we do know that the Dooley's were strong followers in the Catholic faithWe would love to hear from you if you think you could be connected to this family. God Bless Kerryn [
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,025 times
Hi Kerryn my name is John and I'm From Schuylkill County Pennsylvainia. My grandfather was Joesph Dooley and was born and rasied in Mt. Carmel Pa. It was always said that his family was the founding family of a small patch town called "Dooleyville" outside of Mt. Carmel. I had asked my grandfather about Martin Dooley before he passed away and was informed that he was my greatgrandfather(x4). Acorrding to a historian i know Martin was the man who founded "Dooleyville" And was also a bodymaster the Ancient Order Of Hibernians. There is to much info. to type it all out on here but i figured i would give you a brief discription of what I know. Feel free to ask any question's I've been trying for years to put all the puzzle peice's together but hit a few road blocks. Thank You for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,286 times
Smile Dooley's

Hi John
I'm sorry if I have sent this twice as I try to navigate my way around this site. I'm really excited to hear from you. Interesting that you are from Schuylkill, as I have found some records on some Dooley's from this area that I have put away. Are we able to swap emails on this site?
I would dearly love to hear from you again. I think we have lots to talk about.

Kerryn

Old 08-25-2009, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,025 times
Default Email

My Email address is coalminer4628@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search