U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 10:08 AM

35 posts, read 61,890 times

Advertisements

i haven't done this in a long time, so i guess it's time.
here goes.i never have any luck. i am searching for the family of a jimmy spears from around commerce okla area. You see he had a child that he had never met. i have heard that he passed away in the 70's around "76".
that child is me. i want nothing but to meet family. i am grown with kids and g-kids of my own. would like to learn health history and maybe some new friends. i have searched for years. he had a sister named barbara i believed she has passed and an other sister and i can't think of her name. i have been told he possible had a set of twins. that is about all i know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 11:54 AM

132 posts, read 340,635 times
As a person who loves genealogy and has an extensive knowledge of libraries/research, my first question to you is, have you posted this directly on an Oklahoma forum? I'm surprised to see this in the Missouri forum, especially since you don't mention any Missouri ties. According to Google maps, I see that Commerce is in the far northeastern corner of Oklahoma, not far from Joplin, MO. Second, you should re-post with a more specific subject thread. "Searching" is just too plain and many readers will ignore your post. I would suggest "Searching for relatives from Commerce OK."

Here are some ideas to jump start new life into your search. Find out if there is a newspaper, library or vital records office in or near Commerce. Libraries may have older phone books where you can look up former addresses. The newspaper may have an obituary index, or perhaps you can go through old issues on microfilm and look for obituaries around 1976. A vital records office specializes in birth and death certificates, but you may need to know more specific info upfront before they can help. Also, there is unlikely to be a vital records in Commerce. Most likely it will be in the county in which Commerce is part of, or at the state level. You can also try putting a personalized ad in a local newspaper, asking for anyone who has info to contact you.

No matter what you do, contacting a library (preferably the biggest, public library you can find in that area of the state), is the best place to start. Most public libraries are used to helping in genealogy requests, though the level of help will greatly vary from one library to another. They should also know if local death records or burial records are searchable online, and whether or not any old church records may help you.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:58 PM

35 posts, read 61,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCityGal View Post
As a person who loves genealogy and has an extensive knowledge of libraries/research, my first question to you is, have you posted this directly on an Oklahoma forum? I'm surprised to see this in the Missouri forum, especially since you don't mention any Missouri ties. According to Google maps, I see that Commerce is in the far northeastern corner of Oklahoma, not far from Joplin, MO. Second, you should re-post with a more specific subject thread. "Searching" is just too plain and many readers will ignore your post. I would suggest "Searching for relatives from Commerce OK."

Here are some ideas to jump start new life into your search. Find out if there is a newspaper, library or vital records office in or near Commerce. Libraries may have older phone books where you can look up former addresses. The newspaper may have an obituary index, or perhaps you can go through old issues on microfilm and look for obituaries around 1976. A vital records office specializes in birth and death certificates, but you may need to know more specific info upfront before they can help. Also, there is unlikely to be a vital records in Commerce. Most likely it will be in the county in which Commerce is part of, or at the state level. You can also try putting a personalized ad in a local newspaper, asking for anyone who has info to contact you.

No matter what you do, contacting a library (preferably the biggest, public library you can find in that area of the state), is the best place to start. Most public libraries are used to helping in genealogy requests, though the level of help will greatly vary from one library to another. They should also know if local death records or burial records are searchable online, and whether or not any old church records may help you.
thank you so much for your help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search