U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,661 times

Advertisements

Maxine , My name is Greg Broken Rope - I too am a descendent of Godfrey Broken Rope-I live in SLC, UT. I dont Know much about the man, But i do know that we have relatives in S.Dakota and Montana, and Washington. I would try to look for Alvin Broken Rope over in SD - check around Eagle Nest and Kyle area out in the sticks - or see about finding a Mercy Makes Good (Broken Rope)over in Rapid City thats the onlt things i know for certain may help you in your search

Old 03-06-2008, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,324 times
hi my name is thomas brokenrope im from billings mt my grand father is godfrey brokenrope my father is joe his brothers are alvin broken rope and john brokenrope his sisters mercy brokenrope

Old 03-07-2008, 03:08 PM

4 posts, read 21,444 times
DO YOU KNOW THOMAS BROKEN ROPE JR? I WISH I KNEW MY RELATIVES. BUT I DON'T.HOW OLD ARE YOU? I'M 37YRS OLD. WRITE BACK PLEASE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Broken Rope View Post
Maxine , My name is Greg Broken Rope - I too am a descendent of Godfrey Broken Rope-I live in SLC, UT. I dont Know much about the man, But i do know that we have relatives in S.Dakota and Montana, and Washington. I would try to look for Alvin Broken Rope over in SD - check around Eagle Nest and Kyle area out in the sticks - or see about finding a Mercy Makes Good (Broken Rope)over in Rapid City thats the onlt things i know for certain may help you in your search

Old 07-03-2008, 05:34 AM

1 posts, read 5,273 times
Other than what is here and elsewhere, I have an original Brokenrope painting that I am considering selling (auction actually) on the first of August 2008. I recently retired from my barbershop in Billings and I obtained this through my work here. He was a fine artist that is for sure.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:35 PM

1,830 posts, read 4,767,311 times
Hi Broken Rope family! Found this article in the 1959 Stars and Stripes newspaper that mentions Godfrey. Bottom of the right-hand column: "Map leads to Rifles Indians Stole in 1870's"
Thought you might find it amusing.
Attached Thumbnails
Godfrey Broken Rope-gbr.jpg  

Old 07-04-2008, 12:11 AM

So were cousins huh? So do you know any of the broken rope's? I wish i did. I grew up in rapid city,sd. Thanks for your comment greg.hope to hear from you again!!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:13 AM

My name is maxine broken rope, is the painting from carisle broken rope? He was my grandpa.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,107 times
Hello to all the Brokenrope's!

I am Thomas Carlisle Brokenrope's son, Nathan C. Brokenrope. I would like to meet the family. I have emailed one part of the family in Eastern Washington.

We have the Brokenrope Foundation that we started in Southern California, we have expanded to Seattle, WA. Still active in both places. Carol (my wife) and I have been trying to help American Indians that are in cities and promote our culture.

Everyone who is Brokenrope can email our website and maybe we can get something together. I know that my dad Thomas Carlisle was a good artist/painter and there are people who have contacted me about him. But I never met him.

Look up our website [URL="http://www.brokenrope.org"]www.brokenrope.org[/URL] and start to get to know us! Let's keep in communication!

Thanks!
Nate

Old 11-19-2008, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,035 times
Default Broken Rope painting

My grandmother lived in Tucson, AZ. and was a nurse. Family story says Godfrey Broken Rope would travel there occasionally and stay with Gramma's coworker. Broken Rope had given the coworker a south-west landscape painting which Gramma greatly admired. (this was around the 1960's or early 70's ?) At some point thereafter Gramma had been given a prairie landscape painted by him after she moved back to S.D. in the mid-70's, where she had been born and raised.

My mother has told me on many occasions that she remembers seeing him painting outside on the street(s) in Sturgis, SD. She said he would use any kind of paint (even house-paint) and would create beautiful pieces for sale in 15 or 20 minutes. (She says this must have been in the late 1940's.) Once, a woman said she would like to buy a painting, but wanted a deer in the picture. Broken Rope told her to go into the nearby drug store and bring him a postcard with a deer on it. He painted the deer in for her and she bought it.

Mom has wondered for years about the man and his paintings, and wants very much to see some of his south-west paintings , if they are "out there" somewhere.

Mom still has the one that belonged to Gramma.

Last edited by Niecie; 11-19-2008 at 08:28 PM..

Old 12-18-2008, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,944 times
Default brokenrope

i see that alot of you are looking for some brokenropes...well im am the grandaughter of alvin brokerope, son of godfrey. i have been telling him about alot of you and he wanted me to try in get ahold of you guys and let you know that he would like to meet you guys! so if you like you can e-mail me for the number or the address!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search