Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 7,904 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My name is Zac Brokenrope, my father is Godfrey Brokenrope, my grandfather is Frank Brokenrope, and my great grandfather is Godfrey Brokenrope.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 30,417 times
Greetings to all! I put out a note on this forum a couple of years ago requesting information pertaining to Godfrey Broken Rope. I have had come across a few of his paintings and given nearly all of them away except a small one that hangs in my den. Nearly all of the paintings that I seen have been framed in a hand made frame with some wood carving. I have seen some of his work "signed", "signed with a year" or not signed at all. The one painting that I am looking at on my wall has his GBRope signature on it and as I recall the others were signed the same way. By just looking at the signature GBRope, I initially thought that Rope was his last name, but as time passed I learned that the last name was Broken Rope. I do enjoy learning more about this man. Thanks for all the information that I have acquired.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 7,856 times
Hi I am Marji, I have a painting of Rev Godfrey Broken Rope, that was given to me in the late 60's or early 70's by a Indian young man at Fitzsimons Army Hospital he worked for me
under a goverment program, he was going to be a senior in high school in the fall. His dream was to be a doctor, I have often wondered whether he did so. He spent the entire summer with me. I trained him on many clerical & key punch machines & etc. I wish I could remember his name. He was a wonderful young man, he certainly made my summer enjoyable. He gave me this painting by Rev Godfrey Broken Rope, the info on back of this painting was from some newspaper, he at that time was painting a La Junta, Colorado. This article also states he was a full-blooded indian from Sioux Falls, SD. He was a pastor for a small Indian church on the SALT RIVER Arizona. The painting that I have, is 28 inches wide by 17 inches, it is a mountian scene, lake, aspen tree, pine trees, it look a like the mountain could be Pikes Peak ?? The frame is hand carved, I don't know whether he hand carved it or not. I must say that it is a beautiful mountain scene. I have treasured this painting for years, I am getting older and thought maybe I could find his family, and see if anyone was interested in this painting. I live in Colo.. Marji
My email address is mjs5823@comcast.net

Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 7,846 times
I met Godfrey when I was 8 yrs old and he painted my mother 2 pictures which I still have. We were in Tuscon, AZ at the time and I believe he was there doing some work with a church as he prayed over me when I had the flu. That was in 1955.This man peaked my interest in Indian art and Culture. I would love to know what his old paintings is worth.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 7,764 times
Hello to all my name is Lona Broken Rope, My fathers name is Alvin Broken Rope and my grandpa is Godfrey. Just wanted to give you all a little info on the family. Godfrey was married to Lucy Brown Thunder and they had 8 children, 6 boys Vine (deceased MT), Frank (Crow Agency MT), Alvin (Malott WA), Joseph (deceased MT), Raymond (deceased SD), John (deceased WA) and two girls Edna (deceased MT) & Mercy (SD). My grandpa was a talented artist as was most of his children. He did travel all over the U.S. painting at numerous places and preaching the word. In his last years he lived here in Washington with my parents and returned back to South Dakota just before he passed on. I seen on a previous blog a comment from a child of John Broken Rope, I would really like to meet you. He was a really great person and I loved his so. I have also named my son after him. Although my son never got to meet him due to John's death. He was living in Seattle WA at the time of his demise. I dont know alot of my family due to living so far from my roots but I do know alot of my cousins from Joe, Edna, and Mercy. But I do know that John had kids that were adopted and would really like to meet them. And Frank has kids that I have never met but my sister remembers playing with Godfrey John. So if any of you would like any more information you can contact me via e-mail, lrbrokenrope@gmail.com.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,650 times
Hi to all looking for Godfrey Broken Rope.....I have been searching for information about this preacher/painter as well. I did make contact with rosebud who identifies herself as his grand daughter. She told me in 2007 that her brother was a poilice officer in Aurora Nebraska.....Thats all I know about Godfrey....his paintings are fabulous.

jdieck9065@aol.com

Last edited by longstory; 06-15-2009 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: email address

Old 06-22-2009, 11:12 AM

5 posts, read 30,417 times
Smile Godfrey Broken Rope (Thanks and keep it coming)

My THANKS for all the input I have received pertaining to Godfrey Broken Rope. I still have an interest in following the "works" and “activities" associated with Mr. Broken Rope, and at the same time, have other interest coming into my life more recently. In the last 3.5 years we have had (6) SIX grandchildren become a part of my heritage and I have enjoyed seeing them grow at every opportunity that I have. The closest grandchild is about 1 hours drive away and the furthest is near Barstow CA, nearly 1600 miles and 24 hours of drive-time away.

I still have a very strong interest in Godfrey Broken Rope for an indefinite length of time, since he was only the second person in my life that I have pursued a family history of. My first experience was looking for a half-brother of my father following the death of my Dad. That was a successful attempt to locate someone and I feel very good finding more information about Mr. Godfrey Broken Rope as well.

Blessings to all who have assisted and contributed to my search of Mr. Broken Rope's personal history please continue to provide any information you have of Mr. Broken Rope... as each time I look in my mail and find another "thread" of information; it ALWAYS put a smile on my face and lifts my spirit.

Sturdy1

Old 07-11-2009, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 7,554 times
My name is Mark. I have only recently come across this information on Godfrey Broken Rope. We have two Broken Rope paintings in our family. The first is a desert scene that my parents bought roadside in Mesa Arizona in the 60s, which we watched him paint. The second is a forest scene with a lake that he painted as he addressed the Mens group at the Methodist church. He called himself "Gods Broken Rope". I was young then but I remember him pretty well. I still have my GBR and would never part with it.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 7,155 times
How funny to see this name again in my lifetime... When i was a small child about 5 living in Flagstaff Arizona there was an Indian Artist that painted oil paintings on peices of wood, framed in a wooden hand made frame...not a big deal you say until you know the rest of the story on HOW the paintings where painted. My father owned the local auto parts store in Flagstaff at that time and Mr. Brokenrope came by to purchase some brushes...my father thought they were for automotive use. Until we found out that with a stiff carborator brush, and home painting brushes Mr. Brokenrope painted his paintings...all in about 10-15 minutes! It was truely amazing. My family has owned 6 of his paintings since around 1960's and we still have several of them hanging in the family room. I actually believe my dad traded the brushes for the paintings. Wonderful thoughts of my childhood.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 7,092 times
I just bought 3 beautiful black and white paintings by Godfrey Broken Rope.
They are not signed but each one has on the back "Painted by Godfrey Broken Rope, Rosebud Indian Reservation, South Dakota, 1951" They are beautiful. I didn't buy them to turn a profit...but if anyone is interested in seeing them...especially family members...I can send some pics. Each one has slight imperfections...small water marks, a nick or a scratch.

I have enjoyed learning about the artist on line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search