U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,548 times

Advertisements

I found a beautiful (hieroglyphic-style) painting dated 1935 by Broken Rope of Custer's Last Stand in word pictures that my, now 81 year old dad, bought on a family trip to South Dakota when he was young. Is this the same Broken Rope who was painting in the 1960's? Is there a re-sale market for it?
Thanks

Old 07-11-2010, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,520 times
We own two of Broken Ropes works that were painted on the street in Sturgis, SD in the early 1950s. One of the pieces has been framed and the other remains unframed. The work was done on a piece of lightweight cardboard.
My husband was just a small child and does not remember first hand, but his parents told him that the artist would use regular housepainting brushes and housepaint and do the work on the spot.
We are very interested in learning more about this very talented artist.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,414 times
Default Godfrey Broken Rope

Yes, Godfrey did paint some paintings in North Dakota. Bonanzaville is one of the places where his paintings did exist in the 90's. I have not visited the museum since I was young, so I can't verify they are still displayed in the museum. However, my Grandparents somehow met him many years ago, and gave him a job working on their farm just outside Fargo, ND so he could raise some money. The stories I always heard about being an alcoholic before turning his life over to God are true (according to my Parents' recollection). In return for the money my Grandparents paid him, he also painted around 10 paintings. My grandparents gave all 8 of their children one of these paintings, which my parents to this day still have. My Grandfather passed away in the mid 90's, but my Grandmother is still alive. She has a mural painting in her farm house that is at least 8 feet wide by 5 feet tall. The mural is beautiful, and represents the 4 seasons of North Dakota. I hope this helps your inquiry. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,326 times
I would like to have information on a T Brokenrope, a WWII Vet and artist. We have a painting of his and know he lived in SD around 1949-50.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,526 times
so your my relative? can u email me at max1970_@yahoo.com plz

Old 05-18-2011, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,526 times
your looking for tbrokenrope ? would that be thomas ?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,113 times
Godfrey is my granpa i own a lot of his art work an there not a copy

Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,063 times
Default Painting by T I Brokenrope

I just found a painting in storage signed,
To Art (and below that) T I Brokenrope (the 'I' might be questionable)
Arthur Harris was my father. Born in 1929 and has since passed. He lived in New Rochelle, New York. He came in contact with all kinds of artists mostly through his job in advertising on Madison Avenue at Y&R - Young & Rubicam over the course of 45 years.

He had many assistants I believe that went on to have very successful careers.

The painting looks about 14" x 16". A landscape of trees in the foreground mountains in the back. Bluish green tone done in oil on a thin wood pressboard.

I just did a search for the name T I Brokenrope and found this webpage. I'm wondering if anyone knows the identity of the artist and the story behind how he knew my father. Any information or guesses would be appreciated. Below is a poor scan of about half of the image.
Thank you, Tim Harris
Attached Thumbnails
Godfrey Broken Rope-scan.jpg  

Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,992 times
I am one of the granddaughters of Mercy, daughter of Godfrey Broken Rope. I am interested in seeing pictures of my great-grandathers paintings

Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,949 times
Hello, My name is Garry Swenson. I am originally from North Dakota, but have a best friend living in Billings, Mont. While in Billings, my friend met Joe and Alvin Broken Rope. He bought an ink sketch that Alvin had done. It is a beautiful drawing of "Big Foot in Death Face" at Wounded Knee. He introduced me to Alvin once while I was visiting in Billings and I bougt a sketch of his; "Wolf Robe" as well as a small painting that Joe had done. I was never fortunate enough to have seen any of Godfrey's work, but if he painted as well as his sons painted and drew, than he must have been very good.
I never knew that Alvin left Billings for Washington. No wonder I could never find him again.
I wish now that I had bought more of Alvin's work. Maybe I'll find some in the shops around Billings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search