U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,175 times

Advertisements

I have 2 G.B.Rope paintings still in my possession. So glad I found a bit of background info of the artist before letting these go. I had watched him paint each of these beautiful landscape paintings in just one half hour, using a 4" brush! Absolutely amazing! He had a little record player beside his little "artist's booth" on the street of Cody WY playing Christian music. A small sign read something similar to "Don't talk to me except about Jesus."

Old 11-12-2012, 02:36 PM

5 posts, read 26,024 times
Thanks for letting me know. I have heard a very similar story that took place in Mitchell South Dakota.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:32 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,085,220 times
This is a fascinating thread and I have enjoyed following the search for Godfrey Brokenrope. You all should get together and form an association....I would love to see some of his pictures, he must have been a very talented man, as well as, some of his children. Again, fascinating.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 AM

10,780 posts, read 14,725,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
This is a fascinating thread and I have enjoyed following the search for Godfrey Brokenrope. You all should get together and form an association....I would love to see some of his pictures, he must have been a very talented man, as well as, some of his children. Again, fascinating.
Good idea AnnieA.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,039 times
I got to know Godfrey in 1961 in Lewistown Mt. and saw and visited with him until 1964 or 65. I have several of his paintings and all are signed "G BRope" in the lower right hand in a kind of flowery printing in white. All the pictures I own are painted on 1/8" tempered masonite and I got them from Godfrey unframed. Some I bought, sometimes I would trade him several pieces of masonite I cut up for him for a picture. Many of the pieces he sold were framed (very crudely) so he must have had access to some kind of workshop for at least part of the year. I was an active photographer at the time and I used to give him copies of Mountain and lake and general scenic shots I had taken. Two of the pictures I have were painted from those photos. He would paint a picture in just a few minutes and used to carry his supplies in a very small leather hard sided suitcase type box. He used to work for my Father doing day jobs when he needed a little money. I believe I can remember him being at the Lewistown Fair and painting and selling there but I won't swear to that. Although it has been a long time ago I don't remember anything religious about him and I never saw any outward sign of it. He used to spend a lot of time in the local bars but that is where he sold most of his work and I don't remember his drinking. He used to show up in town once or twice a year and stay for an indeterminate time. I do not believe it was on any type of schedule although some of the locals said that he was working on a large sheep/cattle ranch North of Lewistown up by the Rocky Boy Indian reservation. He was also around Billings Montana on occasion and a local art gallery used to re-frame some of his work and have it for sale. I never did know his age but would have guessed him to be 50 or so. He was always a kind hearted, very soft spoken man who from the look of him had led a very tough life. I have always wondered what happened to him and have always valued his art and his friendship.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,085,220 times
Gpalarrymac, what a great story for the Godfrey BrokenRope followers. Thx.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 928 times
my grandparents knew godfrey brokenrope, although my grandma couldn't remember his first name. he was 'brother brokenrope' to them, as they called everyone in their church sister or brother. i've looked at the two paintings they have of his my entire life. one now lives with my uncle, a colorful mountain scene in a simple carved frame. the other is still at my grandma's which she will be giving to me eventually. it's monochrome, a lovely indigo with white, again, a mountain scene. that one has a beautiful two tone wood frame that mr. brokenrope made for the painting. both paintings are about 3ft by 2ft, or maybe 18inches in height.. actually, i should measure the one at grandma's house. the colorful one is signed, the indigo scene isn't. both are beautiful

Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 859 times
Hello, Mr. Brokenrope. My name is Scott Kroger. I saw on Facebook that a Mr. Godfrey Brokenrope has passed away, and I was looking for information about him. I didn't know him before, but I'm sure he was a great man. If I can help you, my e-mail address is sdkroger@hotmail. I'm sorry about the loss. Sincerely, Scott.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 AM

5,126 posts, read 10,229,440 times
This thread has turned into a discussion about this gentleman's art work and the focus of the "People Search forum" is reuniting folks with missing lost family, friends, or loved ones. I will close this thread. You can still send the OP a direct message, if you have further info for him.

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search