U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-22-2006, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,526 times
Default Paradise -Looking For Relatives of Sgt. Leegrand Koller

Hello -

We are hoping that someone can assist the armyairforces.com forum in the search for relatives of a B-17 Tail Gunner Sgt. Leegrand Koller, KIA on March 2 1942.

This is an incredible story regarding a class ring that was found in Austria at the site of his plane crash. It is hoped that this ring can be returned to his relatives.

Sgt. Koller was from Paradise, PA. Please refer to the attached message regarding this request.

Any relatives or anyone who knows of any relatives of Sgt. Koller can contact the forum or reply to this message.

Thank you for your consideration.
Regards,
Bernadette

http://www.armyairforces.com/forum/m_86942/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#91425 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2006, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,528 times
Default Sgt Koller's ring

In the process of looking for relatives of Sgt Koller, I am across you note on City.com. I got the "assignment" from Herb Harper in Tennessee ( I think that is where he lives). To date I have turned up nothing but I have the library and a reporter working on it. To date, no luck. You found anything?

Old 10-27-2007, 07:24 PM

103 posts, read 206,131 times
Name:Leegrand H KollerBirth Year:1924 Race:White, citizen (White) Nativity State or Country:Massachusetts State:Pennsylvania County or City:Lancaster Enlistment Date:31 Jan 1942Enlistment State:Pennsylvania Enlistment City:Harrisburg

There are only 2 families listed in Lancater, Lancaster County in 1930
Charles KollerMarion
Frank J KollerAmelia

both sons named after their father

Old 10-27-2007, 07:36 PM

I did read the other board, and I went back to the enlistment sheet to re-read it.
The Leegrand Koller I pulled up was a single man
and he ... well let me just cut and paste for you.

Civil Life Education:3 years of high school Civil Occupation:Actor (Motion picture actor. ) or Director, Motion Picture (Motion picture director.) or Entertainer Marital Status:Single, without dependents

The military would not make that up would they?
And he is listed not married. I am sure that could have changed during boot camp.

So that means the Leegran belongs to one of the above fathers and mothers.

Now for me to figure it out.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:47 PM

I stongly suspect the 'HJ' in the class ring to be the hallmark for a company named Herff Jones

It is for Herf Jones, I have done print work for a rep, and it always on the rings

Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 PM

American Legion should have info

Old 01-22-2010, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,820 times
Oh, my goodness . . . I am Sgt. Lee Koller's daughter!! PLEASE contact me via this forum!

Old 01-23-2010, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,820 times
Default Sgt. Leegrand H. Koller's Daughter

For any of you kind folks who were even slightly involved in the search for a relative of Sgt. Koller and who are in the Lancaster/Paradise, PA area:

I AM Lee Koller's daughter, Karen Beth! There were a couple of mistakes in that original post by Bernadette - my dad's plane was a B-24 and he was KIA on March, 2, 1945, a tragic mid-air collision over Austria that took the lives of 19 young American airmen, 1 survivor.

I have been able to learn that the search for the proper recipient or inheritor of that 1941 class ring has been underway since 2005 and, altho it seemed fruitless, never really ended. The ring was found by a woman hiking in the Tirol region of Austria in the vicinity of the debris area (which I understand still exists) left from that 1945 crash. It was given to the family members of survivors who attended the dedication of a memorial to those young (oh, soooo young) Americans.

As for the class ring - I have joined the effort to determine if it is, indeed, from Paradise, PA HS. I've sent photos and an account of this mystery to the Supt. of Schools for the Pequea Valley School District, hoping someone there will be intrigued and interested enuf to locate a living 1941 Paradise HS grad or a family member who might be able to offer a final "Yes" or "No" to that class ring. If it turns out to be, then I will proudly claim it, close that chapter to the memory of my dad and prepare to see that my 18 month old grandson (his middle name is "Koller") will inherit. If it is not . . . the mystery will continue a little longer!

Thanx to you all for your interest,
Katy (Karen Beth Koller) Doran
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search