U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:19 PM

31 posts, read 43,659 times

Advertisements

Hi hcgCali,

Once again your hard work has paid off. I have made contact with Margaret Callaway and she will be sending a picture of her brother-in-law. You must have great contact information. I have been tying to find Canadian family members and I have been phoning everyone in the town with the same last name as the soldier that was KIA. I am never sure if they are family or not, I am just phoning blind.

Once again I thank you. So far, your three for three on contact numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 06:45 PM

1,611 posts, read 1,951,045 times
So far, your three for three on contact numbers.

That's because HcgCali is an awesome searcher.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:10 PM

1,830 posts, read 4,774,543 times
Thanks, Dad!

Ok, the last one:
John Jacob Hooper
Son of Mrs. P Hooper from Detroit
Wife of Sheila Hooper from Wallasey, Cheshire

I haven't found anything definitive with so little to go on, and I found nothing on Sheila in the US. So here is my best guess based on "Mrs. P Hooper."

There is a Phillip Hooper family in Detroit in 1930, with a son named John.

1930 United States Federal Census
Name: John Hooper
Home in 1930: Detroit, Wayne, Michigan
Estimated birth year: abt 1916
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: Phillip
Mother's Name: Mary
Race: White
Household Members: Name - Age
Phillip Hooper 42
Mary Hooper 46
Edward Hooper 18
Florence Hooper 15
John Hooper 14
Rose Mary Hooper 13
Charles Hooper 9

Looking for Charles Hooper born in Michigan in the latter half of 1920 or in early '21, I found 2. I selected this one, in Wayne County, but if it turns out to be incorrect, I'll search further on the second one, who's last residence was in Texas.

Charles S Hooper
Born 7 Aug 1920
Died 19 Jun 1978 Westland, Wayne, Michigan

Relatives:
HOOPER, THOMAS EDWARD (Age 49)
HOOPER, LEONA M (Age 87)
HOOPER, ANNE M (Age 44)

I only found an old address for Leona, and she's no longer there. So here is Thomas, presumably her son:

Thomas E Hooper
7915 Stonehedge Valley Dr
Gregory, MI 48137-9752
(734) 433-1258

Again, this one is all speculation. I have no idea if I started with the right family.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:20 AM

31 posts, read 43,659 times
Hello again hcgCali,

Once again I thank you for your hard work. The phone number for Thomas Hooper that you sent has been disconnected. So we may have hit a dead end with this lead.

Your efforts have taken three members off the wish list of the 48th Highlanders Museum. A 75 % success rate is great.

My own efforts are about 20%. So I have a lot more work to do to catch up to you.

Have a great day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post
Thanks, Dad!

Ok, the last one:
John Jacob Hooper
Son of Mrs. P Hooper from Detroit
Wife of Sheila Hooper from Wallasey, Cheshire

I haven't found anything definitive with so little to go on, and I found nothing on Sheila in the US. So here is my best guess based on "Mrs. P Hooper."

There is a Phillip Hooper family in Detroit in 1930, with a son named John.

1930 United States Federal Census
Name: John Hooper
Home in 1930: Detroit, Wayne, Michigan
Estimated birth year: abt 1916
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: Phillip
Mother's Name: Mary
Race: White
Household Members: Name - Age
Phillip Hooper 42
Mary Hooper 46
Edward Hooper 18
Florence Hooper 15
John Hooper 14
Rose Mary Hooper 13
Charles Hooper 9

Looking for Charles Hooper born in Michigan in the latter half of 1920 or in early '21, I found 2. I selected this one, in Wayne County, but if it turns out to be incorrect, I'll search further on the second one, who's last residence was in Texas.

Charles S Hooper
Born 7 Aug 1920
Died 19 Jun 1978 Westland, Wayne, Michigan

Relatives:
HOOPER, THOMAS EDWARD (Age 49)
HOOPER, LEONA M (Age 87)
HOOPER, ANNE M (Age 44)

I only found an old address for Leona, and she's no longer there. So here is Thomas, presumably her son:

Thomas E Hooper
7915 Stonehedge Valley Dr
Gregory, MI 48137-9752
(734) 433-1258

Again, this one is all speculation. I have no idea if I started with the right family.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Don't give up so easily!

That was the wrong family, anyway. I just revisited the search and I found a family tree with John Jacob Hooper in it. This is truly serendipity, because this tree didn't show up with my previous search, and the owner is active - updated it today.
Here's what they have:

John Jacob Hooper
Birth: in (Maybe) Detroit, Michigan,U.S.A. (mother's Address When KIA)
Death: 26 AUG 1944 in WWII, Gothic Line, Italy
Spouse: Sheila Maisie Woodburn
Military Service: Europe WWII A/22196, Corporal 48th Highlanders of Canada, R.C.I.C.
Burial: MONTECCHIO WAR CEMETERY III. F. 13.
Spouse: Living Woodburn

According to the tree, Sheila is living, has a living brother, and lost a brother in WWII. She remarried - "Living Haynes" and has a son and daughter.

I've writen to the owner of the tree through the message system and asked him to put you in contact with Sheila or the children. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from him. If he doesn't respond, then we look for Sheila Haynes.

I ain't no 75-percenter!

Old 12-16-2009, 01:28 PM

Score! 100%! He's Sheila's cousin and he has a picture of John for you.

I'll send you a direct message sharing what he wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search