U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2006, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,431 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am looking for some family history information and have found that a good portion of my family came to Metuchen, NJ and curious if anybody happens to have any info of where I should look, or might by chance have come across these names in any family history research.

-James Bradstreet came to America in 1901 from Manchester, England
-James had James Bradstreet for his son
-The 2nd James Bradstreet married Minnie H Peterson
-The had 6 kids, James W, Mildred M, Clarence Frederick, Edward T, Walter R, and Alfred.
-Alfred had James Alfred Bradstreet (my grandpa), then there's my mom Jane Bradstreet (was Greek, now Sheridan), and then had me, Tim Greek

Any info would be great as far as where to look, or if you can provide info related to this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 03:19 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,265,130 times
Have you tried any of the genealogy websites? The Mormons in Utah have the LARGEST collection available. You can access a lot of it online or go to one of their churches and use their computer. There is also a website that has lists of ship passangers (they go all the way back to the 1600's). I have done a lot of my genealogy and my husbands. It has been rather interesting (found out I am a Mayflower descendant, WOW. REALLY!!!). LOL!!! There are three websites that I have found very useful and they are free. The only thing I will caution you on is the accuracy. Many of the family trees you will find have been posted by other researchers. They may not be accurate and some do not have all of the marriages and/or children listed. You can post your own family tree on these sites. You can also post inquiries. Rootsweb also has links to websites that are based on state/county and city/town. These can be AWESOME or not. The better ones have copies of census records online and accesible. Some even have the information on headstones in the cemeteries. One county in Texas that I have relatives in has all of this plus all of the death certificates and funeral home records. As for some of the accuracy, I have a great grandmother that her own step siblings did not even know that she was indeed their fathers own daughter. Her mother died when she was a baby and he remarried. The stepmom told their kids it was their "aunt". So she is not listed as one of his children on the family trees that have been posted by some of their family members. I knew her very well as she passed away when I was about 20 and had spent a lot of time with her so I actually knew her history firsthand.

Good luck, it can be addicting.

Here are some of the sites to try and you might also try googling the persons name and the state/city:
rootsweb
genealogy
familysearch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search