Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times

Advertisements

How can a lay person obtain a current mailing address for someone at little or low cost? Are the "411" people search sites reliable?

I am just starting the process of adoption of my GD, as I have had a court-order for "temporary" custody for 8 years and she has been with me for 12 years. I want to do as much work as possible on my own to keep the cost down and one of her parents is on the west coast. I have additional info from the parent's FB page, but don't want to spook her, as I don't want her to move again before she is served.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 04:09 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Go to the california government webpage, find the town you believe she lives in, and look on the voter registration list. it's public information

Old 05-25-2010, 04:11 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Many facts are public record and can be found with some work on the PC, phone acct, gas bills, property tax. You may need to contact the IRS to find the last address. Maybe the Sheriff. Not much anyone could do if she runs after being served. But it would likely give you custody. The court might have provisions if she never sought visitation.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:35 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Go to the california government webpage, find the town you believe she lives in, and look on the voter registration list. it's public information
Shoot- I just tried it, but they need a DOB, which I have, and a house number, which I don't have. Maybe her SSN will be on my GD's birth certificate.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Ferret- I will do some searching for those records, thank you. The sheriff's office is a good place to try, as well. I'm not worried about her running after being served. I don't care what she does any more. I just know that if she is served, the process will be speedier. I have a feeling she has been getting assistance for this child and a younger one that is now living with an aunt. Maybe social services, as well as IRS.

As for visitation, she has always had open visitation and did come once and stayed with us for a few days, I've also taken my GD out there three times. I don't anticipate a problem with getting it approved by the judge, my GD is the one that brought it up. I just want to get my ducks in a row, serve her, go to court and have it done. The more I can do, the less it will cost for an attorney.

I really do appreciate all the ideas and will follow up on them.

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 05-25-2010 at 06:50 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 07:10 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,381,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
How can a lay person obtain a current mailing address for someone at little or low cost? Are the "411" people search sites reliable?

I am just starting the process of adoption of my GD, as I have had a court-order for "temporary" custody for 8 years and she has been with me for 12 years. I want to do as much work as possible on my own to keep the cost down and one of her parents is on the west coast. I have additional info from the parent's FB page, but don't want to spook her, as I don't want her to move again before she is served.
I have had good luck with "White Pages" and it appears to be current and is free. I have also used "Melissa Data" but they give the last few known addresses and you may assume the last on the list is the current one. They charge $1.95 for one look-up, or you can get "unlimited" 24 hour searches for 14.95.

Unfortunately none of them are "fool proof". I have paid for a search then didn't know for sure it what I got was what I needed.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:12 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,381,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I have had good luck with "White Pages" and it appears to be current and is free. I have also used "Melissa Data" but they give the last few known addresses and you may assume the last on the list is the current one. They charge $1.95 for one look-up, or you can get "unlimited" 24 hour searches for 14.95.

Unfortunately none of them are "fool proof". I have paid for a search then didn't know for sure it what I got was what I needed.
I should have added here; If they have an unlisted # it will not be found by the above services.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
I've used 411.com several times. Get addresses, phone numbers, reverse phone, etc. And it's free. They will have sites where you can pay for a look up but I've never needed it.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search