Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you carry a Credit Card?
Yes 80 86.02%
No 13 13.98%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:40 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,734,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
I was one of those "smart" people who paid off their credit cards every month. Until i got on a budget, now instead of spending $1500 a month on nothing i spend $50 a month on one thing. I save the rest.
Some of don't care to have a budget. And as long as we live within our means I don't see a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 07:48 PM

31 posts, read 98,934 times
yes my wallet is lined up this way- VISA VISA VISA VISA VISA MASTERCARD VISA
the mastercard gives some variety!

But I paid most of them off, 2 are check cards that I prefer to use.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:00 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,451,619 times
I have one credit card. It is linked directly to my bank account. Each month-end, the charges are automatically deducted. It is not a debit card - but I treat it as one. I carry no balance each month-end. In the meantime, I accumulate "reward points" for every dollar spent. Other than lunch, newspaper, tea, taxis - I rarely use cash. I generally get out about $300 a month in cash from the ATM for emergencies. It is a RARE month when I need more than that in cash.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:03 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,023,162 times
the only way to BUILD credit is to carry and use credit cards...not just one....2 or 3....and also some installement loans such as a car loan.

I see young kids that under the false impression that if they don't get a credit card, they will SET for life. Wrong ! When it times to buy a car or house....you are up the creek without a paddle without a strong credit history and strong score !

Old 06-12-2010, 08:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,542,364 times
I have a debit card, not a credit card. If I don't have the money to pay for it, I don't have it.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,163,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I have a debit card, not a credit card. If I don't have the money to pay for it, I don't have it.
Same with me, if I can't afford it I don't buy it that's a good way to handle your finances.

I do it with a credit card though.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:09 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
the only way to BUILD credit is to carry and use credit cards...not just one....2 or 3....and also some installement loans such as a car loan.

I see young kids that under the false impression that if they don't get a credit card, they will SET for life. Wrong ! When it times to buy a car or house....you are up the creek without a paddle without a strong credit history and strong score !
You don't need credit to buy a house, and i feel that a person shouldnt go into debt for a car. Having a high credit is only proof of giving your money to other people through interest. Save and buy.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:27 PM

5,027 posts, read 7,446,552 times
I ditched my credit card a few years ago. Only carry a master debit card now.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:44 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,779,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Lately I have been taking personal finance more seriously. I have carried a credit card since I was 19 years old (I am 24 now). I always thought I could charge everything and get rewards/points for it! You can guess how that worked out - I started spending money I don't have.

Last week I finally pulled the trigger - I no longer carry a credit card. Anything I buy is with cash or debit card. It has been a major change, it is very strange to consciously think about my bank balance before every purchase. I simply don't have the self-control to use a credit card responsibly, so I need to just not have one.

Here is my question, do you carry a credit card or not? If you do, do you feel you have the self-control to not run up the balance?
I use one credit card for everything and pay it off when it comes in. There is no trick; you set a limit you can pay and as you spend, write it down and add it up. If you have no self control, forget the card and cut it up. Don;t close the account. [Closed by consumer status can hurt your credit; keep the card, don't use it]

Old 06-15-2010, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,571 times
Ive never had a credit card,if i WANT something i will usually just save until i can buy it ,put it on lay away or buy here pay here.

every once in awhile i,i NEED something and cant get it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance