U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-12-2010, 02:24 AM

2,496 posts, read 5,671,739 times

Advertisements

While going through some old paperwork, I found a refund check that was issued to me in July 2008 by a business (Barneys New York) for a defective item I returned.

Here's the thing...I *think* I may have thought I misplaced the check and got it reissued, but there's a chance I just didn't go through with having another one sent, and chalking it up to being my fault that I couldn't find the check. I just cannot remember!

My question is--is there a way to find out if the check is still valid/could be cashed? There's nothing on the check about it being void after a certain time period.

If I'm SOL that's fine, but it's for $70 so I figured I'd just post here to see what you all think.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 07:33 AM

4,850 posts, read 6,091,677 times
Checks are good for 1 year from date of issue, The bank (or mostly likely Barneys (will electronicly notify the bank)) will reject the check as being stale. And your bank will hit you for a returned check fee then.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:07 AM

3,651 posts, read 5,581,917 times
Checks vary on how long they are good. Some it's as little as 90 days.....I think personal checks vary by state but typically 5 yrs.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:35 AM

5,221 posts, read 6,057,798 times
I think it is quite humorous that people in this thread seem to be making up information as they go: is it 90 days? 1 year? 5 years?

Rather than wondering or guessing OP, why not just go to the law? The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) sets the standard that all banks follow. The answer to what constitutes a stale-dated check is simple; however, whether a bank will cash a stale-dated check is not.

Very simply, the UCC makes clear that a bank is under no obligation to cash a check that is more than 6 months old; however, it may choose to do so.

Here is the official info:

Uniform Commercial Code - Article 4

FDIC Law, Regulations, Related Acts - Consumer Protection

Old 06-12-2010, 11:54 AM

7,551 posts, read 10,483,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I think it is quite humorous that people in this thread seem to be making up information as they go: is it 90 days? 1 year? 5 years?

Rather than wondering or guessing OP, why not just go to the law? The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) sets the standard that all banks follow. The answer to what constitutes a stale-dated check is simple; however, whether a bank will cash a stale-dated check is not.

Very simply, the UCC makes clear that a bank is under no obligation to cash a check that is more than 6 months old; however, it may choose to do so.

Here is the official info:

Uniform Commercial Code - Article 4

FDIC Law, Regulations, Related Acts - Consumer Protection
Jeez -- I can't rep you for this -- but you are correct. I spent 13 years in banking at two banks -- staledate is 6 months.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:34 PM

2,496 posts, read 5,671,739 times
Thanks for the info everyone! I actually today found record of me depositing a reissued check for that amount, so I've already got the amount that was owed (back in 2008). Into the shredder it goes.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:51 PM

3,651 posts, read 5,581,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I think it's humorous that you think it's all about the bank. The company who issued the check might have something to say about it too, FYI. In fact I know I have gotten checked on which it plainly said on the check "not valid after 90 days."

Re. the 5 years, that's why I said "I think" - but in hindsight I was thinking of a statute of limitations on a financial obligation vs a particular check itself.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:03 PM

11,699 posts, read 26,955,280 times
Interesting how Statute Of Limitations has the same acronym as something else...

In AL, the SOL on open accounts is 3 years. Again, it varies by state.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:06 PM

2,540 posts, read 482,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Checks are good for 1 year from date of issue, The bank (or mostly likely Barneys (will electronicly notify the bank)) will reject the check as being stale. And your bank will hit you for a returned check fee then.
almost

Presented to the paying bank six months or more after the original issue date. Banks are not required by the Uniform Commercial Code to honor stale-dated checks and can return them to the issuing bank unpaid. The maker of a check can discourage late presentment by writing the words "not good after X days" on the back of the check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance