U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:42 PM

275 posts, read 351,312 times
Default Making extra payments on car loan question

I have a car loan at 3.99% for 5 years since last October. I have a little extra money that I want to throw towards the principal. But I'm going to have a little more extra money from work OT in about 2 months. I was going to hold off on paying more until I could throw a nice big fat piece of change at the principal.

I guess my question is, is it more prudent to pay extra whenever I have it or just save up and make one big payment towards the principal?

And also, since this is my first car loan ever, how do I make sure the extra money I send to the credit union is going towards the principal?

Also, what happens if/when I send the extra money? Does it lower the monthly payment due or just shorten the length of the loan?

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 01:55 PM

4,759 posts, read 5,757,913 times
When you send in the money, On the Coupon there should be a spot for additional Principal payments, Put it there. Sending it in now will reduce the total interest pay'ed on the loan by a little.

It will reduce the length of the loan, you still have to play the 'normal' amount until the loan is pay'ed off.
Check the loan online at your credit union, or call them few day after the payment is made and they can look it up to be sure it was done correctly

Old 06-30-2010, 03:51 PM

5,361 posts, read 10,235,040 times
It depends on the rest of your financial situation. Assuming you have sufficient savings to weather emergencies that might arise (like a job loss), and assuming that the money isn't making more than 4% where it currently is, then it is best to pay extra as you have it available. You'll save on the interest.

3.99% is pretty cheap interest, so if you don't have 6 months of living expenses saved up, I would keep the money in savings instead of paying extra.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:12 PM

41,633 posts, read 44,854,191 times
Why not just call the lender to ask these questions. Alot depends on the terms of teh loan as some how days from waht I have heard do not allow early payoff as far as being cheaper.In most loans it is going to lower monthly payents but payoff the laon with less interest paid.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:33 PM

5,361 posts, read 10,235,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why not just call the lender to ask these questions. Alot depends on the terms of teh loan as some how days from waht I have heard do not allow early payoff as far as being cheaper.In most loans it is going to lower monthly payents but payoff the laon with less interest paid.
On every house and car loan that I've ever encountered personally, extra payments shorten the life of the loan, but monthly payments do not change. My husband just did this on a car loan with Chase, and the payment every month was $251.04 even though he was paying $500 to $1000 at a time.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:13 PM

5,154 posts, read 9,052,078 times
My experience has been that if you pay the extra with the regular payment, it reduces your principle. With some loans, they'll also treat it as extra payments, extending out the date before your next payment is due. If you pay extra between regular payments they'll usually charge interest up to that day and the next payment's interest portion will be less. In any case, the earlier you make an extra payment, the less interest you'll pay over the life of the loan.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:54 AM

15,514 posts, read 15,154,703 times
If you have 6 months expenses saved up in a CD or Money market for rainy days then yes I'd add a little extra on each payment. Paying off your car is often the best raise you can give yourself. If you have cc debt I'd pay that down first as its higher interest.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:51 PM

900 posts, read 1,049,847 times
On most car loans, making extra payments will reduce the principle, not the monthly payments. Make sure you have 6-9 mo. emergency fund in place, then attack the car debt systematically each and every month. I agree with Oildog, make sure you don't have any other debt with a higher interest rate. If you do, kill it first.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:54 PM

12,673 posts, read 13,067,761 times
I only pay cash for a vehicle.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:33 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,255,556 times
My current vehicle loan is through Chase Auto, and I've always 'rounded up' a bit when I've sent in my payment. If you don't specify otherwise, they've been rather random in how much of that overage goes straight to princpal and how much they say they're reducing the next payment by. And since I pay them through my CU's online banking option, I can't really specify which way to go. But to me it's just not worth sorting it out; I'll just be glad that the car's getting paid off three months early by rounding up by a couple frappacinos every month from the original monthly payment amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance