Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,556 times

Advertisements

I am in a very similar situation. I owe around 15,000 in cc debt and have student loans. Well student loans i'll be paying off but it would be impossible to pay the cc debt.I am an international student so i am going back home. but i wanted to know if they give it to debt collectors, what happens and how much time can they be behind me and how long does it show on my credit history. Please advice ( cc debt was not accumulated due to large living but due to hospitalization).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 40,339 times
Yes I do. just started my doctoral program

Old 02-25-2011, 03:15 PM

11 posts, read 43,186 times
OMG!
I am also in the same situation too!! I have been an international student in the US since 2005 to 2010, and I also can't find a job!! It's been almost a year now. so saddd (

I am currently working at a minimum wage job and volunteering at university. I barely make $600 a month. I am sleeping on my friend's bedroom floor.

I owe around $10,000 total and I have been paying the minimum fee. I always pay the debt (the min payment) on-time, and I made this calculated risk when I was in college that as soon as I graduate and work as a chemical engineer. I can pay off the debt in several months.

I graduated with a B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering. Entry level chemical engineers make around 65K-70k a year. Lets say I would make 60K that means I will make 5K a month and I could use 2k a month to pay off the debts and I will be debt FREE in 5 months!! Unfortunately, I am still jobless right now..and I am getting a job in my home country.

In my home country, I would make much less than in the US. I will make around $400 a month.

My minimum payment is around $200 a month and if I only keep paying the min payment it will take me 28 years to pay off the debt and I would end up paying $17.5K (due to the stupid finance charges)

My questions:
Is it worth it to I keep my US bank account open and pay off the debt slowly?
Paying $200 a month when you make only $400 is A LOT of money, and I have to deal with it for 28 years ((

So should I just "forget about it" for now and as my career advanced, I will be a successful engineer and entrepreneur and I can easily pay it off.

I really want to be able to pay off the debt. I don't want to do anything illegal. I was in 10K debt due to the dentist and some academic related fee. I didn't want to burden my parents.

Please help me!

Thanks for reading my post

Old 02-25-2011, 03:40 PM

22 posts, read 47,058 times
you can still pay your debt from another country.

has no one heard of the mail system? Mail your check in US funds to the credit card company and be done with it. i have friends who live in different countries... they still pay their bills.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:23 PM

*bump*

Old 02-25-2011, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 40,339 times
yes

Old 02-26-2011, 08:43 AM

22 posts, read 47,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croce1 View Post
yes

Super!

Then those that are trying to leave this country, and their debt behind, can rest assured... this is the computer age, the debt will follow them.

The funny part? If they move to Europe, they will have to repay in Euros, converted into US funds...

The reality is... leave without fully paying the debt while you are here, and you will have to pay more in the long run..

What is the Euro at now? Last I checked it was like 1.20 per 1. US...

Old 02-28-2011, 05:01 PM

441 posts, read 1,322,035 times
If bank gives 20k credit to person without a job, with student loans and on temporary student Visa from 3rd world country, they 100% deserve it.

And well, 60% of bankruptcies in US are due to medical expenses, so not like your case is so unique.

I don't think he is going to EU (400$ per month is maybe rural Romania only). So he can sleep well, unless he wants to return to US and even that, it's highly not probable you get any problem with deportation/incarceration assuming there was no fraud/felony involved.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:23 AM

can anyone answer my post? thanks

Old 03-01-2011, 09:31 PM

441 posts, read 1,322,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry4nkidz View Post
can anyone answer my post? thanks
A lawyer can answer it for you.

There is no simple answer, there is a lot of "depends" and we have just your version of story. These are grey areas. You are not supposed to do what you are doing, but except for some rare cases it's not felony, so you should be OK.

You wanna be 100% sure? Repay your debts/file bankruptcy or don't attend the graduation. Here's your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance