Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 47,829 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,

i have some questions regarding my situations right now.
trust me, i have researched before starting a new thread like this.
most of the result that i got was about how people cannot be jailed for not paying credit card debt, but does that work for non us citizen?

i have been an international student in US for 5 years (2005-2010), i obtained some credit cards through social security number that i got from college legally. my credit score was pretty good (780ish) because i NEVER owe them money. i always pay the balance in full, until last december 2009 where i started to make installments to pay. but until today, everything is still in good standing.

the problem is, i have graduated and by law i have to leave the country within 60 days of graduation unless i got a job in here. right now i have around $20k debt which i still owe to 4 credit card companies that i plan on pay over time. turns out i couldn't get a job and have to leave US.

the thing is, i HAVE to return to US next year AS A TOURIST to attend my fiance's graduation. will they arrest me upon arrival? can a bench warrant be issued to a non US citizen? my ID is a washington ID, while i obtained those credit cards in California. so which SOL will apply to me?

oh one more thing that's kinda OOT, i was also hospitalized recently and the bill will arrive AFTER I LEAVE the state, will they also sue me for this? technically its not my fault that the bill came late

here are some research that i've made, and none of them answered my question..

[url=http://debtprison.net/wordpress/247/will-debt-follow-you-abroad/]Can you leave the U.S. to avoid debt? | Debt Prison[/url]
[url=http://www.city-data.com/forum/personal-finance/409464-unsecured-debt-leaving-abroad-contempt-court.html]Unsecured debt and leaving abroad = contempt of court? (credit card debt, paycheck, lawsuit) - Personal Finance -debt, loans, credit cards, banks, insurance... - City-Data Forum[/url]
[url=http://debtprison.net/wordpress/47/can-you-go-to-jail-for-not-paying-your-debts/]Can you go to jail for not paying your credit card debt? | Debt Prison[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:22 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
Since you say you plan on pay over time;then as long as you make the minium payments you good . I see no civil action coming then.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:43 AM

2 posts, read 47,829 times
i WAS planning to pay overtime by assuming that i'm getting a job after graduation,
but since right now i have been "kicked out" of the US, i can't pay them anymore and i have no asset whatsoever left in US. so what do you think?

will they screw me during the immigration check?

Old 07-02-2010, 01:07 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,885,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takuthutang View Post
i WAS planning to pay overtime by assuming that i'm getting a job after graduation,
but since right now i have been "kicked out" of the US, i can't pay them anymore and i have no asset whatsoever left in US. so what do you think?

$20,000 ! Thats what they get for allowing a foreign student to charge like a drunken sailor . I don't know if they can lock you up or not, but i do know you were living large while it lasted . Don't blame you though we Americans are stupid suckers who are on the way out .

Old 07-02-2010, 10:42 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,252,574 times
Do you still have a U.S. bank account open? If so, and if you will have a job overseas, I would recommend simply wiring money to your U.S. account every so often and making payments to the CCs from that account.

If you will be unemployed abroad and won't have money, just forget about it. I'm also of the opinion that the bank should eat it for taking the risk of lending so much money to a foreign student.

This is a civil issue. You cannot be arrested for this debt upon returning to the U.S. The only exception I could see is if the CC company gets a judgment against you and you fail to appear in court, but I honestly don't see that happening before your return. I don't actually see that happening at all to tell you the truth.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:23 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
Alot of teh conseqauence will be more like from your own country and how they view debt. Here they its not jail here unless their was fraud involved.But walkig away from debt scot free is not like it was in the recent past where thery just wrote it off and took no further caction. Judgements and writring off with issued 1099s are more common.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:26 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,359,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takuthutang View Post

I hope they do.

People can say the CC company was irresponsible for handing you the credit.

But YOU'RE completely irresponsible for piling up the debt.

Assuming
you'd have income to pay it later is just immature and reckless.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:28 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,252,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I hope they do.
The very last thing we need is for our immigration service and border guards to be getting involved in private debt collection issues.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 40,334 times
I have a similar case but the difference is I will pay my debt before leaving.

I'm an international student in the US that has been unemployed for a year that resulted in a debt of around $8000 in tuition/living costs. I can not get employed at the moment due to VISA status and I have no income at all. Living in a small studio apartment (rented) with textbooks and a 2 year old laptop. That's all. Nothing else.

What measures can I take to clear off the debt?

Please, only serious answers, everybody screws up, I know my mistakes already.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:20 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,900,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croce1 View Post
I have a similar case but the difference is I will pay my debt before leaving.

I'm an international student in the US that has been unemployed for a year that resulted in a debt of around $8000 in tuition/living costs. I can not get employed at the moment due to VISA status and I have no income at all. Living in a small studio apartment (rented) with textbooks and a 2 year old laptop. That's all. Nothing else.

What measures can I take to clear off the debt?

Please, only serious answers, everybody screws up, I know my mistakes already.
Are you still in school here in the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance