Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:45 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,385,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1carlitos13 View Post

An open letter to American Express and to Mr RUBEN ELBERG ... from American Express.

And you expect them to respond to you here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,152 times
Default does this apply to student loans as well?

I graduated in 2001 and immediately after moved to Slovakia. I teach English here. I tried making some payment for a while but they were minimum and several years ago got into a messy divorce / custody battle. Since then I am a single parent with two children (both have dual citizenship) but for at least 5 more years the father has forbid them to move and live in US, they can only visit as we have share custody. My income is less then 10000$ when I change the currency. Last week a collection agency called me. Am not sure at all what I can or should do? There is no way can I pay the dept off or even the interest. I do not have any assets here or in US. I did this year set up a business here in slovakia in hopes of bringing me extra income but is has not yet even been functioning as I am still dealing with paper work etc here. The collection agency threatened me that they can stop that business (although there is no money in it). Is that possible? Can they show up on my door steps here in Slovakia and force me to go to court / jail in US and leave the kids behind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
My advice is always SCREWUM. They can not come after you outside USA borders. If you never respond to them by any method then the statute of limitations clock starts from the day of your last contact or last payment to them. Once you make a payment of any amount then the statute of limitations will reset to that day. Depending on what state the debt originated, the statute will run out in anywhere from 4 to 10 years and you are home free.

As already said, sticking it to a corrupt crooked immoral bank is not against the law. But it is in the debtee right to make every attempt to collect. And they are not often successful. They scare the debtor by piling on interest that is .001 shy of federal usury laws and add to that with unlimited legal fees because there are no laws specifying how much they can charge for that. It's a big joke. Just laugh at them.

Technically a medical debt can not be put on your credit report. President Clinton had that law put into effect back in the 80s. But the law has more loopholes then swiss cheese and those doing the collecting manage to get around that weak law. If the original medical debt was not collected then it is sold for 10 cents on a dollar to a collection agency who does have the right to put it on your credit report.

Just go and don't let these idiots scare you. When you come back to the states you will be home free from the wolves. You can also visit during the statute time. They won't know you are here. Even if they did there is nothing on Gods green earth they can do to you. When you do leave, leave no forwarding address and cancel your cell phone and drivers license. Leave NO money in US accounts as they can get a judgment against you and just take it without your permission.

Creditors have easy free access to everything you might think is personal information. Creditors have access to anything that law enforcement has. If you have just $25 in a savings account in Anytown, USA pop 50 they can find it and take it. A judgment can go against you simply because they claim they notified you of a hearing and of course you did not show up because you did not know about it. The laws are vague here. This judgment gives them the right to get a writ I think it's called (maybe not, I can't remember what it's called) which means they can take your money and your bank has to let them. The laws are in the wolves favor but us peasants can win. Pizz on banks.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:28 PM

23,013 posts, read 12,202,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crat1070 View Post
I graduated in 2001 and immediately after moved to Slovakia. I teach English here. I tried making some payment for a while but they were minimum and several years ago got into a messy divorce / custody battle. Since then I am a single parent with two children (both have dual citizenship) but for at least 5 more years the father has forbid them to move and live in US, they can only visit as we have share custody. My income is less then 10000$ when I change the currency. Last week a collection agency called me. Am not sure at all what I can or should do? There is no way can I pay the dept off or even the interest. I do not have any assets here or in US. I did this year set up a business here in slovakia in hopes of bringing me extra income but is has not yet even been functioning as I am still dealing with paper work etc here. The collection agency threatened me that they can stop that business (although there is no money in it). Is that possible? Can they show up on my door steps here in Slovakia and force me to go to court / jail in US and leave the kids behind?
My first suggestion is to talk to a lawyer where you are living.

Is it a federally backed student loan or is it a private loan (not backed by the fed)?
If it is a private loan, had it been sold to the collection agency (CA)?
Is the CA, who is contacting you, based in Slovakia or is it a US CA? If it's a Slovakian CA, is it still in the hands of a US CA and only assigned to a Slovakian CA?

Typically a federally backed student loan is assigned to a CA instead of being sold to a CA. That CA may still hold the assignment but may assign it to an out of country CA, and if so then since the US based CA still holds the debt the actions of 'any' CA is still subject to the FDCPA - where threats are not legal.

Unless fraud is involved (which would make it a criminal case instead of a civil case) they cannot force you to come back to the US for a debtor court trial (which is a civil case). And, since you'd been making payments on it in the past then they have no real basis to claim fraud and probably could not force you back for a fraud trial (re: the jail comment in your question).

If they sue you in the US, in the state you'd lived in when you created the debt, then they can only go after assets you have in the US. It's generally not cost effective to pursue a US debt in another country, meaning suing you in a court in the country that you're currently living in, in order to garnish your wages or attach any property you may have in the foreign country.

If it's a federally backed student loan then there is no statute of limitations (SOL). If you ever move back to the US, even 30 years from now, they can still go after you.
If it's a private loan then there is a SOL, though they may try to claim the SOL is tolled since you are living out of the country. But, since the CA is contacting you in Slovakia you may be able to have their claim of tolling tossed, since they know where you are to be able to serve you a summons.

Many people believe that student loans cannot be included in bankruptcy (BK). That thinking is false. Though it is very difficult to BK a student loan, it may be possible as long as the debtor meets the qualifying standards. The student loan debtor would have to file an undue hardship petition and would then have to satisfy three conditions - !. The debtor cannot repay the student loan and also maintain a minimal standard of living based on their income and expenses. 2. The debtors financial situation would remain the same throughout the (time period of the) repayment period of the loan. 3. The debtor had made good faith efforts to repay the loan.

Again I suggest that you speak with a lawyer where you are living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance