Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,936,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
If she was truly a friend she would gift you the 7k back.
Wouldn't she though? Wishing won't make it so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 07:08 PM

You know, I'm not a mean or vengeful person, usually. But this has made me quite angry. I hope I find a way to deal with this in a positive manner but I just can't right now.

My evil twin is busy thinking of 7K worth of phantasmagorical revenge plans. BTW....that's a joke. I've never done a revengeful thing in my life. Darn it. I would like to find a way to start because I'm tired of being a doormat.

Last edited by yellowsnow; 07-08-2010 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-08-2010, 07:39 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,084,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
You know, I'm not a mean or vengeful person, usually. But this has made me quite angry. I hope I find a way to deal with this in a positive manner but I just can't right now.

My evil twin is busy thinking of 7K worth of phantasmagorical revenge plans. BTW....that's a joke. I've never done a revengeful thing in my life. Darn it. I would like to find a way to start because I'm tired of being a doormat.
Ohhhh man. You need to try to forgive yourself. And, trust me, this is coming from someone who has a very very hard time with this. It's not easy.

I also tend to be "too giving". It sucks big time when someone takes advantage of our generous nature.

The one burning question I have: does the fiance know about this debt? Because I really cannot see an upright and honest business person( ???---you described him as wealthy) being "ok" with how she is handling this. It sounds like he doesn't want to take on her debt, but surely her credit score will take a hit and possibly impact them as a couple?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,206,481 times
Did you talk to her ? Did you ask about the loan and if she will pay you back once she's married ?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Did you talk to her ? Did you ask about the loan and if she will pay you back once she's married ?
Wish I could. According to the letter I got from the Bankruptcy Court, I am not allowed to make any attempts to collect or I can be prosecuted.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Ohhhh man. You need to try to forgive yourself. And, trust me, this is coming from someone who has a very very hard time with this. It's not easy.

I also tend to be "too giving". It sucks big time when someone takes advantage of our generous nature.

The one burning question I have: does the fiance know about this debt? Because I really cannot see an upright and honest business person( ???---you described him as wealthy) being "ok" with how she is handling this. It sounds like he doesn't want to take on her debt, but surely her credit score will take a hit and possibly impact them as a couple?
Her credit score was in the tidy bowl before she filed for bankruptcy. Her intended knows this and just doesn't want to get stuck with her bills. I think things have changed....he doesn't want to be feel taken before he even takes the plunge. I am pretty certain the idea of living up to your responsibilities has gone the way of the Dodo Bird. It's just not done anymore.

Here's something interesting. The reaction I have gotten from people I've told is an amazing commentary on how people think now. "Gee, that's too bad. If the government will let her do that to you, you need to go out and run up big bills so you can do it too."

And I'll admit it was a tempting thought. I wonder if there is a domino effect associated with bankruptcy?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:08 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,378,557 times
Quote:
Don't ever do what I did. Ever. I need to go have stupid tattooed on my forehead. I hope all of you learn from my mistake.

I loaned a friend 7K. I got a letter from the Bankruptcy Court today that she has filed Chapter 7. It was just a loan between friends so I have no paperwork to use to file a proof of claim. I guess I just lost all that money I worked for. Every last cent.

Sad thing is she is now better off than I am.
Quote:
Her credit score was in the tidy bowl before she filed for bankruptcy.
Print out the above and paste it to your refrigerator.

Read it the next time a friend asks you for money!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:29 AM

105,979 posts, read 107,937,321 times
IT can be a little sticky , im no expert but heres what i believe.....

you must charge market rate interest in order for the irs to consider it a loan and not a gift.....

that required you to report the interest on your taxes each year .....

the irs has rules about how this is all computed and you really need to read them...they get quite complicated

your write off could be dis-allowed as a gift if you didnt do things properly..to add insult to injury you may have to pay imputed interest taxes and penaltys before it may be allowed to be a loan and not a gift...

http://www.fool.com/taxes/2002/taxes020816.htm

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-09-2010 at 08:38 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 09:10 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,686,342 times
Thumbs down possible action

How long before she took the 7 K from you did she file BK ?

You can prove fraud and intent if she took your money and then filed BK KNOWING she would never pay it back.

She is no friend. I hope she gets whats coming to her if she married for money...

Think about that for a minute. People can't go around taking large sums of money and then filing BK. Well some do.. but maybe you can find out from an attorney if you have any recourse....

Old 07-09-2010, 10:24 AM

19 posts, read 60,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan

Wish I could. According to the letter I got from the Bankruptcy Court, I am not allowed to make any attempts to collect or I can be prosecuted.

Really?? I'd get some legal advice. If this is a legitimate debt, I can't see why you can't pursue collection since you were contacted first about the debt verifying that it exists!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance