Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:07 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,815,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I merely wanted to make a point that it seems with making a higher income, one adjusts their lifestyle to spend more as well. Didn't really need a lecture on how to spend my personal money although I'm hoping to see myself on a motorcycle pretty soon.
Yes, if we do what comes naturally, most of us will spend everything we make. That's why there are things like education and developing good habits to counter those natural, but unhealthy tendencies. Partly because our schools don't teach any of this stuff, most people don't ahve the financial education/habits they need and it seems many are not even interested, yet complain they don't have enough money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
LOL ... you're right, there are lots of sheep in NZ. However our farming methods are not as clean and green as many people imagine.
Lamb is pretty inexpensive.
However, an organic chicken is about NZ$20 and organic quality ground beef is about $24 per kilo. Organic steak is a silly price.
I wish organic was cheaper here ....but alas it's not. Probably the small market is the problem
Why not just go vegetarian or eat meat/chicken less often?

You can get all the protein you need from beans (which are cheap) and tofu.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
Sometimes it's easier living in a less monied and status-conscious place. I have a friend living in Scottsdale and she says it's pretty posh.
It's easy to increase ones spending in response to ones environment - happens very easily.
You still sound like you are doing pretty well though ...good for you
Yes, actually the authors of Stop Acting Rich noted this. It's easier to spend less if you live in an ordinary neighborhood because the stores in expensive neighborhoods, even the grocery stores, tend to be more expensive and have more "high end" merchandise you really don't need. Plus, we all tend to emulate our neigbhors even if we think we don't. So, if everyone around you spends a lot, you will pick up on that to some degree.

....This is yet another reason why it's important to resist stretching to live in a neighborhood if you can't easily afford, because you're going to feel poor, even if you're not.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
“The rich buy assets. The poor only have expenses. The middle class buys liabilities they think are assets. The poor and the middle class work for money. The rich have money work for them.” -- Robert Kiyosaki.
Kiyosaki is a charlatan, but he was absolutely right about this.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Then of course we eat better now so that adds up. Then you have the pressures of society on your material wealth. Hubby and I just got cell phones with internet access. Do we really need to pay an extra 60 bucks a month so we can check facebook? Then we kept getting texts from everyone that put us over our allotted 20 texts per month so then we upped our plan to get unlimited texting. Now we are back down to about 15 texts per month but I know as soon as I drop the unlimited everyone is gonna start texting us again.
So, um, why did you get a phone with texting then?

I think you can call your provider and get text messages blocked from your phone.

I tell my friends not to text me because I don't want to pay for it. I usually get a response like "It's only $5 a month". And I say "Ok, if you want to pay for it for me, I'll take it. Otherwise, leave a voice message". They never offer to pay for it but always manage to leave voice messages.

Same thing with cable. You can get a lot of shows online now. Hulu even has a subscription service that's a lot cheaper than cable.

I personally don't even have a TV and get TV shows and movies from the library or occasionally rent DVDs from the kiosk at the grocery store.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,746,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, if we do what comes naturally, most of us will spend everything we make. That's why there are things like education and developing good habits to counter those natural, but unhealthy tendencies. Partly because our schools don't teach any of this stuff, most people don't ahve the financial education/habits they need and it seems many are not even interested, yet complain they don't have enough money.
Credit card companies love to give credit 18 year olds. They know these kids go shopping with it.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, actually the authors of Stop Acting Rich noted this. It's easier to spend less if you live in an ordinary neighborhood because the stores in expensive neighborhoods, even the grocery stores, tend to be more expensive and have more "high end" merchandise you really don't need. Plus, we all tend to emulate our neigbhors even if we think we don't. So, if everyone around you spends a lot, you will pick up on that to some degree.

....This is yet another reason why it's important to resist stretching to live in a neighborhood if you can't easily afford, because you're going to feel poor, even if you're not.
I like to read up on Thomas J. Staley.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Kiyosaki is a charlatan, but he was absolutely right about this.
What do you mean by that?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:54 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,234,278 times
Kids born in the 1970's were probably the last generation of kids who's parents retired at 40+ years from a company with a nice gold pin and a pension. Some of these kids went to school, got good grades, went to college and were offered their first credit card.

Eyes wide, they were told all they could do with their lives if they stuck to the plan. They graduate college in debt, but still see their parents lifestyle which they aspire to, not realizing the disadvantage that they have started out at. Working their first cubicle job, the middle manager takes them out to a nice restaurant for lunch. The middle manager has a fully loaded Maxima, with leather seats, which is much nicer than the piece of 5hit they drive. It smells like success! Aspirations build alongside unreasonable expectations as the college grad toils away in the cubicle at 17 dollars an hour.

Time passes.

Ikea had a sale, mortgage rates were at historic lows, and what the hell, Acura had a graduate program with attractive lease options. The in-laws paid for the wedding, but the honeymoon was financed. It was the time of my life! Might as well start a family, since I have "made it." Now the house is furnished with three flat screen televisions, hardwood floors and nice stainless steel appliances. They think, "I've arrived."

The folly is they have built a dream perpetuated on a false promise. They have given chase to the idea of a good life, much like a drunk sticks a dollar into a strippers g-string.

Spend some money, be somebody.

The economy is much like a cabaret. It's a hustle. More robbery occurs in the isles of the local mall than in the alley way behind it, except in this case it is self-inflicted at 28% interest and called retail therapy.

"Cubicle life sucks, but I have an image to uphold. I can't let the boss see me driving a piece of 5hit car."

The boss is meanwhile writing the young gogetters pink slip.

This is the mentality that keeps people living above their means. It's expected and ingrained.

Last edited by Spraynard Kruger; 07-15-2010 at 04:10 AM..

Old 07-15-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Kids born in the 1970's were probably the last generation of kids who's parents retired at 40+ years from a company with a nice gold pin and a pension. Some of these kids went to school, got good grades, went to college and were offered their first credit card.

Eyes wide, they were told all they could do with their lives if they stuck to the plan. They graduate college in debt, but still see their parents lifestyle which they aspire to, not realizing the disadvantage that they have started out at. Working their first cubicle job, the middle manager takes them out to a nice restaurant for lunch. The middle manager has a fully loaded Maxima, with leather seats, which is much nicer than the piece of 5hit they drive. It smells like success! Aspirations build alongside unreasonable expectations as the college grad toils away in the cubicle at 17 dollars an hour.

Time passes.

Ikea had a sale, mortgage rates were at historic lows, and what the hell, Acura had a graduate program with attractive lease options. The in-laws paid for the wedding, but the honeymoon was financed. It was the time of my life! Might as well start a family, since I have "made it." Now the house is furnished with three flat screen televisions, hardwood floors and nice stainless steel appliances. They think, "I've arrived."

The folly is they have built a dream perpetuated on a false promise. They have given chase to the idea of a good life, much like a drunk sticks a dollar into a strippers g-string.

Spend some money, be somebody.

The economy is much like a cabaret. It's a hustle. More robbery occurs in the isles of the local mall than in the alley way behind it, except in this case it is self-inflicted at 28% interest and called retail therapy.

"Cubicle life sucks, but I have an image to uphold. I can't let the boss see me driving a piece of 5hit car."

The boss is meanwhile writing the young gogetters pink slip.

This is the mentality that keeps people living above their means. It's expected and ingrained.
Is it even worth it go to college anymore if you want to retire early?

There are graduates with heavy debt and no job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance