Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 11:37 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,385,554 times

Advertisements

Texas User wrote in another thread :
Quote:
I see over 4% APY for Checking Account but there are too many things you have to do like withdraw certain amount, 10 transaction a month and 1 direct deposit.
And it got me wondering. I can't imagine shopping 10 times a month, or eating out 10 times a month.

I never have that much activity on any of my accounts. My paycheck is direct deposited once a month. I have about 7 to 8 direct credits taken out. I go to the bank about once every 2 months to withdraw cash. I actually hand-write a check maybe once every 3 months. I don't even own a debit or ATM card. Yes, I'm very boring

Why do banks insist on all these transactions? With the new banking rules, it's not like they're going to be getting people on overdrafts now. (Well, the people that don't opt-in anyway. And the people that watch their balances)

Wouldn't it be easier on the bank - and profitable - if there were less transactions, and less to watch? Why not give high-transaction customers an incentive to stop moving money unnecessarily with minuscule transactions? Why not reward the low-transaction customers?

What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 12:00 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,159,772 times
The bank's thinking: The less you use your account, the easier it is for you to move your account. The idea of tying you up with debit card transactions (Although frankly, I never saw the idea behind that one, to my thinking it goes through and it's done so what's the big whoop) and direct deposits and automatic debits, means you'll think twice about going to a new bank.

I mean -- my useage? We're self employed so direct deposit is out. But I'd have to change ALL my autodebits. I have about 12... And my bank is out of the way, so I mail in my deposits. They used to pay for postage, but they don't anymore.

The other reason I haven't gone to a closer bank -- most banks want me to open a small business checking account. We are a small business, but we don't have the sort of activity that requires us to have a small business checking account. We'd get fee'd out the wazoo with a small business checking account. A personal account opened with our DBA is better... but the banks want that money....

But the biggest reason we stay where we are? I bought two boxes of checks because they were cheaper that way, and I have still have tons left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance