Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 12:07 PM

83 posts, read 160,267 times

Advertisements

I am buying a car from an individual in a different state.

I am going to pick up the car on a Sunday. I can't believe the people at my bank can't give me the best option, they don't sound too smart about it. Hopefully someone here will have some helpful input.

I need a way that I don't have to give him the funds up front before I am with the car, that also guarantees he gets the funds so he can let me drive away.

So far I have came up with the following. If I get a cashiers check for the full amount and take it with me, my bank is available on Sunday to verify the funds and claims that there would be no way for me to stop it before he could cash it. So that guarantees him the funds. The seller is sort of pushing that I send him the money first so he can make sure it is good.

I have verified that the guy is who he says he is, I know where he works, and plenty of details on him.

Also there is the issue that I should get down there and NOT want the car for some reason (again unlikely but possible), or if the car gets hit by a meteorite before I can get it, I have to wait 90 days to get a refund on the cashiers check. If something goes wrong, I can't wait 90 days to get this amount of money back !!. I don't want to fly with that much cash !!!!

How the heck can we do this >>???????????????????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,898,346 times
Make the check payable to you, and sign it over to him, He can still verify the check is good, and if for some reason the deal does not go thru you can keep the check and cash/redeposit it you account. You only out the fee for the cashiers check.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:59 PM

11,750 posts, read 14,559,260 times
I would think going there with a cashier's check (or cash, but I assume you're financing it) should satisfy all his valid concerns.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:01 PM

15,630 posts, read 26,105,565 times
Paypal. You can transfer via your computer at a wi-fi site and he can make sure it's transferred on his computer.....

Old 07-13-2010, 05:51 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,015,028 times
Cashier's check or money order, to be given on the day you pick up the car. Paypal is a good idea too, you would have recourse through Paypal if there were a problem.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:52 AM

680 posts, read 1,912,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Cashier's check or money order, to be given on the day you pick up the car. Paypal is a good idea too, you would have recourse through Paypal if there were a problem.
How much is this car you are looking to purchase? Can you meet the seller during banking hours?

If I was the seller, I would not accept a cashier's check nor a money order from someone I could not trust... and it's pretty evident that there is not enough trust here. When it comes to large amounts of money being transferred between stangers, I'm usually pretty cautious.

As a seller, I would not be able to verify the cashier's check until Monday... and even then, those Nigerian Check Scams have shown that banks are wiling to cash cashier's checks before they have "completely cleared."

PayPal is also a service that definitely does not protect a SELLER. If you decide you don't like the car for WHATEVER reason, you can file a dispute with PayPal and cause a freeze of my funds... and I wouldn't want to deal with that.

Obviously, these are worst case scenarios.... and in this case you are the BUYER... so if the Seller is cool with any of these, most of the possible outcomes are in your favor.

My suggestion: Find a way to buy this car during banking business hours... Wire Transfers, Cash, etc...

If this has to be done on a Sunday, perhaps you can sign a NOTARIZED purchase contract, give the seller a cashier's check, and drive away.... BUT allow him to hang on to the title until your check clears so that he feels comfortable....

Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 AM

995 posts, read 3,919,793 times
Very interesting situation. I'd love to hear a good solution to transact on non-banking days.

I came across the following site when I googled cashier's check fraud.

Cashier's Check Fraud - How to Spot Cashier's Check Fraud - Examples of Scams

Old 07-14-2010, 08:10 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,489,921 times
what about cash?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:43 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,575,838 times
I personally would only do it during banking hours. The first car I sold was for $2300 cash. The second was quite a bit more at $9400, so we did all the paperwork right in front of the bank manager and the bank manager then printed out a cashiers check and handed it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance