Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,584 times

Advertisements

How do I sign up for things like internet, cable, cell phone and other services with a bad credit rating (husband induced, I'm recently divorced), but with a fair amount of cash? I have some money from the divorce, a small inheritance and an insurance policy. I look really bad on paper, but would have no problem paying the bill. Is there any way around this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 04:41 PM

245 posts, read 584,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistergoldenhair2010 View Post
How do I sign up for things like internet, cable, cell phone and other services with a bad credit rating (husband induced, I'm recently divorced), but with a fair amount of cash? I have some money from the divorce, a small inheritance and an insurance policy. I look really bad on paper, but would have no problem paying the bill. Is there any way around this?
Umm...how are you on the Internet NOW??

Try getting a pre-paid credit card from Western Union or another outfit that'll put your name on the card.Then use the card to get Internet service.
And a cell phone.
And cable.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:44 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,088,241 times
Default For utility type things...

Water, electric, gas you can probably get by with a deposit. Cell companies might want you to get a pre- paid plan.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
Umm...how are you on the Internet NOW??

Try getting a pre-paid credit card from Western Union or another outfit that'll put your name on the card.Then use the card to get Internet service.
And a cell phone.
And cable.
I'm at a friend's house. I'm borrowing a laptop and using their internet.

Thanks, I can do a pre-paid card. I'm just not very savvy about how to get around these matters.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Water, electric, gas you can probably get by with a deposit. Cell companies might want you to get a pre- paid plan.
I think that I'll have to do pre-paid on the cell. I walked into a Verizon store the other day and after half an hour they were still throwing more questions at me than answers - and asking for a sizable deposit.

Anybody have any ideas on a good (high volume) prepaid?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,921,255 times
I am also "on my own" now, and no job. After my ex left, I switched all my services over into my name. I'm not old enough to officially retire, but that's what I put down on any application I fill out: Retired. No one questions it.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:41 PM

9,923 posts, read 23,067,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
I am also "on my own" now, and no job. After my ex left, I switched all my services over into my name. I'm not old enough to officially retire, but that's what I put down on any application I fill out: Retired. No one questions it.
Sounds like a good plan, however, your credit may be better than the OP's

Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,868,665 times
At one time Wells Fargo had a secured credit card. I referred a person to them and the gal asked how he new about it as it was not advertised as such. Anyway he put a large amount of deposit on it and was a go for it from then on. They can't refuse any purchase as the money is already there. The CASH up front is the deal...then pay off any balance statement that they send you and your deposit is still whole...building a credit rating.

Good luck.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
I think you can say you are self-employed, and show them your bank/investment statements that verify that you have the assets. If you have a checking account, you ought to be able to qualify for a debit card, which can't be distinguished from a credit card.

Some landline providers, as I recall, will hook up a phone for you if you pay in advance for a certain service contract. That would be a lot cheaper than a cell phone, and you can get any prepaid cell for times when you actually need one, like tracfone, which can be as low as 20c a minute.

If people give you a runaround, sometimes they soften up if you say you are willing to pay six months in advance for service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance