Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:55 AM

4,096 posts, read 11,439,242 times

Advertisements

Darn, two have already recommended Your Money or Your Life. Not an investment book, but a way of looking at money and its relationship to our life.

I even buy it used and give it to young people looking for answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 05:02 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,053,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Darn, two have already recommended Your Money or Your Life. Not an investment book, but a way of looking at money and its relationship to our life.

OMGosh I thought I was the only one who did that.........LOL

I've been doing that for a few years now.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:04 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,053,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ever wonder why all these authors are writing books about being rich...shouldn't they not have to? ha ha ha..

kind of reminds me of a psychic convention photo i saw and everyone had name tags...shouldn't they just know?
Being Psychic has nothing to do with knowing everything.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:54 AM

106,060 posts, read 108,015,953 times
i guess then the psychics should be walking around the convention going "where do i know you from"? ha ha

Old 08-21-2010, 07:34 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,383,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I've directed a few young people to this -- and it's free

(No, I am not associated!)

Old 08-21-2010, 06:39 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,830,520 times
"The Millionaire Next Door". READ it, ABSORB it (3 or 4 reads should be enough), LIVE it.

I had a dog-eared copy that I would lend to others. One young lady at a place I worked for a time saw someone reading it and checked it out of the library. After reading it she said, "hey golfgod, I think this is you they're describing". I just smiled. It was easy for me to live that lifestyle, I was raised in it. Came out of a very middle class family and each of my siblings have net worths above the one million dollar range, two of us well above it.

Many of the employees at that company complained that they were unerpaid, and in a way they were. We didn't pay as much as some other companies but we were very generous is "family leave" time, letting people work from home if possible (obviously our warehouse folks couldn't do that) and generally being "easy" on our staff.

One of my staff once told me that, "it's easy for you, you're earning a lot more than me". That was true, I was earning in the high $50K range, she was earning about $30K, this was in the early-mid '90s. I pointed out to her that I was driving a 9 year old Chevy Celebrity (purchased used) and that she bought a NEW, king cab pick up truck EVERY THREE YEARS. So I was driving something that had cost me about $9K in '87 (when I was earning about $45K and she was buying a new truck that cost her ONE FULL YEAR'S PAY, and doing it every third year.

Dave Ramsey's books are good. Ray Lucia's advice is good too.

Reading it without practicing it does you no good however. And most people are NOT going to put it into practice! It's like diet books. Top seller, never followed.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:35 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,166,827 times
Bob Clyatt's "Work Less Live More" is my favorite.

Amazon.com: Work Less, Live More: The Way to Semi-Retirement (9781413307054): Robert Clyatt:…

I also like Rags to Riches.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:02 AM

24 posts, read 12,594 times
In my experience, The Millionaire Next Door is the best finance book. This book is all about making profit and enjoy a lifestyle from that but never spend the principal. The writers have been successful to make the reader understand its theme. They quoted this “Wealth is not the same as income. If you make a good income each year and spend it all, you are not getting wealthier, you are just living high. Wealth is what you accumulate, not what you spend.” A must read book that you don't want to miss.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:14 AM

4,082 posts, read 2,974,889 times
My vote is for The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need by Andrew Tobias. It covers a broad range of investing and personal finance topics. You can get more detailed information from other books on a specific topic, but Tobias is the book to go to for your introduction to this information.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:47 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,696,672 times
My ONLY personal finance book back in the day was "Wealth Without Risk" by Charles Givens. I got lots of good tips from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance