Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:05 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,850,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Bad idea.

Study after study shows people always spend more with a credit card than paying cash.

Keep one or two credit cards with high limits only for true emergencies.

Pay cash for everything else.
It' a bad idea to only use it for only unexpected entertaiment reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 02:14 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,908,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It' a bad idea to only use it for only unexpected entertaiment reasons?
WTF is an unexpected entertainment reason?

"This is an emergency! I am in dire need of going to the movies!"

Old 08-22-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
WTF is an unexpected entertainment reason?

"This is an emergency! I am in dire need of going to the movies!"
Meet a girl online and suggests we meet up for a first date in between paychecks. Or after I paid my rent and have a set amount of money to run me into the next paycheck.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:29 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,379,772 times
Quote:
Meet a girl online and suggests we meet up for a first date in between paychecks. Or after I paid my rent and have a set amount of money to run me into the next paycheck.
If you need more money after paying your bills or 'until the next paycheck' .... you're over-spending.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I see. Are you running each month completely paycheck-to-paycheck with your critical expenses (rent, utilities, food, car payment if you have one)? As in, do you have literally nothing left at the end of the month/pay period?

If not, why not set aside like $25 a paycheck and not spend it on anything, for these types of things?

If you're wanting to use your CC for "emergencies only," IMHO a date isn't an emergency. Plus, not to go deeper...but do you want to get into a relationship with that much financial insecurity? Just a thought.

If I guy that I went out of a date with I later found out had to use credit to pay for a < $100 evening because he LITERALLY didn't have the cash, I probably wouldn't continue dating him. Not because of the fact he didn't have money--but because that shows a lack of financial foresight.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
If you need more money after paying your bills or 'until the next paycheck' .... you're over-spending.
I make a rule not to spend too heavily after I pay my rent because that is the TIGHT PERIOD of the month.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I see. Are you running each month completely paycheck-to-paycheck with your critical expenses (rent, utilities, food, car payment if you have one)? As in, do you have literally nothing left at the end of the month/pay period?

If not, why not set aside like $25 a paycheck and not spend it on anything, for these types of things?

If you're wanting to use your CC for "emergencies only," IMHO a date isn't an emergency. Plus, not to go deeper...but do you want to get into a relationship with that much financial insecurity? Just a thought.

If I guy that I went out of a date with I later found out had to use credit to pay for a < $100 evening because he LITERALLY didn't have the cash, I probably wouldn't continue dating him. Not because of the fact he didn't have money--but because that shows a lack of financial foresight.

So the WAY the guy is paying for a date is now a problem????? I said I wanted my credit card to be FUN STUFF ONLY. Not emergencies. I would use cash for emergencies

Old 08-22-2010, 02:44 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,622,427 times
Keep a credit balance so that even if your payment is late you have enough there to cover the minimum payment

Old 08-22-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
So the WAY the guy is paying for a date is now a problem????? I said I wanted my credit card to be FUN STUFF ONLY. Not emergencies. I would use cash for emergencies
Uh no... that's not what I said. It's the fact that the reason he is paying with a credit card is not for convenience sake, but because he can't manage his money well enough to handle the cost of a simple date.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 08-22-2010 at 03:07 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 03:01 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,142,036 times
My rule for credit cards?

Don't use them to spend any money that doesn't already exist in my checking account.
You heard me...CHECKING ACCOUNT. Not in your savings, not that will be there next week because of your paycheck, not in your emergency account...

It's like my dad said - this card is for convenience and organization only (when they break down your bills for you). Not for spending money you don't have yet.

Think of it as a debit card with an additional layer of security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance