Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:09 AM

15,115 posts, read 32,194,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryolson929 View Post
When I moved to NM, a long time ago, and then back to MN, I was not wise. Granted it was a long time ago but if I had it to do all over again I would have gotten just enough bank drafts or cashier's checks from my old bank to open a new account and kept out some cash because my money was tied up for 10 days each time before my new bank account came into effect. What an inconvenience!
Problems like this don't exist anymore. When I moved to Tucson in 1988, I had already opened a checking account with a bank there six months before I moved. I called the bank, and they mailed me all the information and paperwork that I needed to start the account. So when I got there, I already had it.

But it's now easier to open bank accounts from out of town, and credit unions are the best. Plus, you can use any 7-11 ATM with no charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 01:36 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

But it's now easier to open bank accounts from out of town, and credit unions are the best. Plus, you can use any 7-11 ATM with no charge.

You won't be doing that in Texas. Banks require that you be physically present, with photo ID, to open an account---and that goes for all the jointers of a joint account. If your ID doesn't have a Texas address, there is a week or two hold before your account is activated.

If you have a government check payable to two people (like tax refund check to people who have filed jointly), and you are only one of them, you can't even deposit that check in your own account, unless the other payee turns up at the bank and presents photo ID.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:26 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,267,457 times
Hi CT!

I opened an online checking and savings with a bank in Florida already and we are not even going to Florida for a while yet.

Wanted to get started ahead of time.

Did it within minutes online, checks and debit card was sent to my address in Ohio and will change all of that when we finally get to Florida.

Credit Unions are also a great start.

If you qualify for Navy Fed you are in great shape. If not, many other Credit Unions to chose from.

I cannot remember from the Florida forum where you are moving to in Florida.

I wanted something close as I want to deal face to face with my bank and several of the Florida forum members suggested the bank and I did the research and found one I like.

DM me if you have any questions.

If you are like me you want that all set up before you move.

Sunny

Old 09-15-2010, 05:46 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,392,814 times
You can't. The Patriot Act requires a real person to look at you and your drivers license or other acceptable ID in person. I can't even open a new account from across the street from the bank I have been banking at for 40 years.

Well, I looked this up and it is possible for a bank to open an account without actually having the customer in front of them. I can tell you that most banks do not. Section 326 of the USA PAtriot Act requires rigorous customer identification steps which most banks interpret as having a real person sign in front of them.

Last edited by Wilson513; 09-15-2010 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-15-2010, 05:50 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,737,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
You can't. The Patriot Act requires a real person to look at you and your drivers license or other acceptable ID in person. I can't even open a new account from across the street from the bank I have been banking at for 40 years.
Really. I have never set foot in the bank I have my money on.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:53 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,267,457 times
Quote:

Well, I looked this up and it is possible for a bank to open an account without actually having the customer in front of them. I can tell you that most banks do not. Section 326 of the USA PAtriot Act requires rigorous customer identification steps which most banks interpret as having a real person sign in front of them.

Wrong.

I opened two checking and savings accounts online in the last few months.

Right from my laptop in my living room from Ohio.

The law requires you to ID yourself and they will ask for Driver License info, credit report questions, etc to make sure it is you.

One with a bank in Florida and one with a Credit Union in Virginia.

You can open checking accounts with many banks right from your computer and have your account, routing number, online passwords etc within minutes.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:45 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,138,607 times
Quote:

I see you edited this but I was thinking it had to be possible, what with ING and other online only banks.

Sunny, this is the "story" - if I choose Tampa area to live I will be looking for a new bank.

If my father finally is able to buy in SE FL then I will stick with my current one as they are all around there.

However, they seem to be expanding in FL so I hope they make their way to more, even if just bigger, towns/cities.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:13 PM

3,031 posts, read 7,901,024 times
I have lived in North Florida for over 20 years and use my credit union out of Denver,get free ATM in USA,can deposit,never an error all accounts pay interest.I have had this account for over 30 years.I use my debit card as a credit card so no pin needed.We are going north for 2-3 months,ATM's free.Locally have bank for ck cashing & notary etc.Bank on line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance