Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 08:12 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,122,630 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience and/or knowledge of what happens when one fails to pay property taxes and how it takes for the related foreclosure threats? I know there are penalties for late payment, but how long before they threaten to take your property and house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,781,577 times
The properties I've seen foreclosed upon for back taxes have been delinquent 2-3 years about the time they have gone up for re-sale. I suspect the foreclosure process began at least 6 mos. prior.

If you are able to pay your mortgage but behind on your taxes it is best to try to work with the county for a payment plan. Go to your county treasurer's office and find out your options. Try to take a payment to be credited toward your delinquent tax amount if you think you may be able to work your way out and eventually catch up your tax payments.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:19 PM

243 posts, read 1,627,452 times
Well I'm a mortgage CSR...My first question would be is your house paid off or do you have a mortgage on it. The reason I ask is because they will have your mortgage company pay the taxes for you, but if you have no mortgage, then they will try to put the house up for tax sale. It is important to call your tax locality to see how they will handle this delinquent tax. Usually the tax locality will notify the mortgage company (if you have a mortgage), the mortgage company will pay the delinquent taxes out of escrow (even if there is no money there or you are non-escrowed). Once your escrow is reviewed you will have a rather substantial escrow shortage and you monthly payment will increase. It normally takes about 3 months for the bank to begin foreclosing on your house. If you believe this will happen, i can give you some sort of hint that will help you with your mortgage payment. You can request for your mortgage company to spread you escrow shortage over 36 months (for the sake of your payment). This way you wouldn't be obligated to pay as much, however, you will carry this burden for 3 years. My best advice is to have the shortage spread over 36 months and try to payoff of shortage before the 36 months is up.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:44 PM

20 posts, read 86,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Anyone have experience and/or knowledge of what happens when one fails to pay property taxes and how it takes for the related foreclosure threats? I know there are penalties for late payment, but how long before they threaten to take your property and house?
I think it varies from state to state, but it's usually 5 years before the County puts your property up for tax sale. They will keep sending you "tax default notices" during that time to try to get you to pay up. In the meantime, for every month/year of non-payment, you will accrue a monthly penalty amount that is added to the principal amount. You will have to pay off the entire balance in total; they have the right to put your property up for tax sale if any portion of the balance remains outstanding.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:26 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,363,030 times
I believe in my area, a tax sale happens when you are delinquent 3 years. However, taxes are billed a year in arrears, here, so to go to tax sale, you would currently have to be behind all of 2007, 2008 and 2009. 2010 isn't due yet. I know someone who has their house paid off in full, but was behind 2.5 years in taxes on a million dollar home. They were told they were in danger of having the house go to tax sale if they got another payment behind.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtaylo24 View Post
Well I'm a mortgage CSR...My first question would be is your house paid off or do you have a mortgage on it. The reason I ask is because they will have your mortgage company pay the taxes for you, but if you have no mortgage, then they will try to put the house up for tax sale. It is important to call your tax locality to see how they will handle this delinquent tax. Usually the tax locality will notify the mortgage company (if you have a mortgage), the mortgage company will pay the delinquent taxes out of escrow (even if there is no money there or you are non-escrowed). Once your escrow is reviewed you will have a rather substantial escrow shortage and you monthly payment will increase. It normally takes about 3 months for the bank to begin foreclosing on your house. If you believe this will happen, i can give you some sort of hint that will help you with your mortgage payment. You can request for your mortgage company to spread you escrow shortage over 36 months (for the sake of your payment). This way you wouldn't be obligated to pay as much, however, you will carry this burden for 3 years. My best advice is to have the shortage spread over 36 months and try to payoff of shortage before the 36 months is up.
Paid for the house in full so no mortgage. However, it is not technically finished, hasn't had final inspections and not certificate of occupancy. I just discovered the period to protest the taxes passed--it was a period of 2 weeks after recieving the "Valuation Statement" last April! I still plan to protest the increase in tax.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:34 PM

229 posts, read 572,479 times
You should talk to the county before doing anything drastic. They will work with you, I'm pretty sure, but if you miss the date to 'protest' it is a done deal until the next year - at least here in MN. If your mortgage is paid, don't quibble about something you can't undo. It's not worth it to have a lien or a judgement against you.

I worked at the courthouse and talked to the tax department about my house (I'd missed the deadline too). Keep in mind these are folks just like you and me who are working for a living and they have to abide by the rules. They couldn't do anything for me at that time because the deadline was past but they were very nice and explained it to me.

Talk to them and ask if there is anything they can do to help. Or, as Mtaylo said, set up a plan to pay it.

Last edited by Maryolson929; 09-14-2010 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Needs more explanation

Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryolson929 View Post
You should talk to the county before doing anything drastic. They will work with you, I'm pretty sure, but if you miss the date to 'protest' it is a done deal until the next year - at least here in MN. If your mortgage is paid, don't quibble about something you can't undo. It's not worth it to have a lien or a judgement against you.

I worked at the courthouse and talked to the tax department about my house (I'd missed the deadline too). Keep in mind these are folks just like you and me who are working for a living and they have to abide by the rules. They couldn't do anything for me at that time because the deadline was past but they were very nice and explained it to me.

Talk to them and ask if there is anything they can do to help. Or, as Mtaylo said, set up a plan to pay it.
Not a quibble issue (I wish); don't have the money. Will try to set up payment plan but that's tough because they'll probably want large payments so I'll send what I can and hope for the best. I know many others are in the same boat.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:19 PM

Just a note: my property taxes increased 300% in one year and that's with an exemption!

Old 09-25-2010, 10:08 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,084,101 times
I think property taxes are not fair. How can it be right to buy something and pay taxes on it for the rest of the time you own it even if you pay it off in full? I think the government knows this is just one way for them to seize peoples assets. Just raise the taxes high enough so People can no longer pay them. Bogus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance