Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:56 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,962,656 times

Advertisements

Have you had to deal with this company and what was the outcome?

They are very NASTY...but if you know your rights they "must" back off.

A lot of folks today are faceing very deep financial troubles and this is only compounded by debts being turned over to "Credit collection nightmares"...and their ruthless "ways" to collect money.

Most of the collectors get a "chunk" of the collection fees as "commissions"..

If you have had to deal with DCS let me know by PM.

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 20,318 times
We just got a letter from DCS and we where told we could pay half of the debt or pay and two other options we couldn't do. We are on Obama's plan to keep our house but this is a second mort. So we are worried they can take our house. We are on social security and a very small pension. I wouldn't give them my bank information but I was stupid & gave them my sister's name. They said we had till Tuesday to come up with money. Can they take our house. What should we do?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:16 PM

32,753 posts, read 35,950,249 times
Holy guacamole, you gave them your sisters name? If they call her, tell her to report the harassment to the Federal Trade Commission.

Don't talk to them on the phone. OK, speak to them if you must and tell them that all future communication will be in writing. Send a letter, keep a copy, asking them to only contact you through the mail. Sent it return receipt so you know that they have received your request. Don't give them your bank information!

Debt Collection FAQs: A Guide for Consumers

Can federal benefits be garnished?

Many federal benefits are exempt from garnishment, including:

* Social Security Benefits
* Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Benefits
* Veterans’ Benefits
* Civil Service and Federal Retirement and Disability Benefits
* Service Members’ Pay
* Military Annuities and Survivors’ Benefits
* Student Assistance
* Railroad Retirement Benefits
* Merchant Seamen Wages
* Longshoremen’s and Harbor Workers’ Death and Disability Benefits
* Foreign Service Retirement and Disability Benefits
* Compensation for Injury, Death, or Detention of Employees of U.S. Contractors Outside the U.S.
* Federal Emergency Management Agency Federal Disaster Assistance

Don't worry; nothings going to happen on Tuesday. If they don't get their way, they'll still be sending you mail in six months asking for money. But, you have to do something. What is the nature of the debt? Is it credit card debt? Go over here and ask questions.

CREDITBOARDS.COM - Home

Old 02-14-2011, 04:55 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,333,701 times
Yep, just let them know that you don't deal with these kinds of matters on the phone and that all communications must be in writing from now on. If they continue to call, then file a complaint for harassment. Once you tell them not to call any more they cannot do so. Period.

Never, ever, give anyone your bank account information or allow them access to your account. If you do, close that account and open a new one.

Do not send them any money until you have a signed letter from them indicating what they will accept as a payment amount. They bought the debt for pennies on the dollar, so don't let them bully you into their fees and interest - you're only negotiating on the original debt amount, not their bogus fees.

Never deal with debt collectors over the phone. Get everything in writing so you have a complete record of what agreements you reached.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:44 AM

70 posts, read 222,646 times
Yes, if you've already shared your banking information with them, then you'd better close this account. It's quite true that these CAs buy junk debt some of which are even past the SOL. It's better you're aware of the FDCPA norms and don't get harassed any more.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:12 AM

14 posts, read 93,339 times
thank u guys for the help and info . im in collectio with DCS and they have given me false information to get me to give them info.. like a dummyu i did .. but ill use u guys info and i already closed my account so they cant get me there anyway.. im unemployed at the time so itll make it pretty difficult to make any payment any ways.. any more info would be appreciated on how i can at least lower my debt the original bebt is $2330 and it is know $8233.. student loan from 1983 i know i have to pay eventually . but is there a way to low the amount?? thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 01:09 PM

9,611 posts, read 21,135,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaciuos View Post
any more info would be appreciated on how i can at least lower my debt the original bebt is $2330 and it is know $8233.. student loan from 1983 i know i have to pay eventually . but is there a way to low the amount?? thanks
You need to try to settle with them. In order to do this you have to have cash available, they won't accept long-term repayment on a settlement.

What I would do (and have done) is start setting money aside specifically for this purpose. When they contact you, tell them you will settle for however much you have saved up. Do not give them anything unless they agree to accept that amount as payment in full. The first few times they probably won't consider it, but when you get to the point that you can offer 30% or so you might have some success. And when they do accept, make them send you a letter stating that they are accepting that amount as settlement in full of the debt. After you receive the letter send them the payment in the form of a cashier's check or money order by certified mail, return receipt requested. DO NOT SET UP AN AUTOMATIC DRAFT FOR PAYMENT. They will push you to do this, but regardless of what they say you don't have to pay this way.

Being unemployed and, I assume, without any major assets, you are pretty much "judgement proof" at this point, so if they threaten legal action don't worry too much about it.

When you get the reciept back stating the payment was received, put that with the settlement letter and a photocopy of the check or money order and file it in a place where you will be able to find it for a long, long time.

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2011, 03:06 PM

thank u duster1979 .. sounds like a plan.. all though i have accepted a plan with them already but i plan to appeal this, becuase it was not what i though it would be .. they had told me i would pay them $150 with three installment of $50 a month for threee month. then pay $2.330 for the rest.. when they sent me the papers for this it was for 8,233.. so i closed my account so that it wouldn't go through.. i will push until they settle... thanks

Old 07-24-2011, 03:10 PM

22,801 posts, read 11,986,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaciuos View Post
the original bebt is $2330 and it is know $8233
Going from $2330 to $8233, this sounds like it's pretty old and may be past the SOL.
You're in Puerto Rico? The Open SOL there is 3 years. If it is past SOL and you make a written agreement, carrying your signature, or a payment with your signature on it then the SOL may be re-set. If so then they would be free to legally sue you for the full amount.

You need to research the laws where you are living. If it is SOL then you have a legal right to send them a letter informing them that it is SOL.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Going from $2330 to $8233, this sounds like it's pretty old and may be past the SOL.
You're in Puerto Rico? The Open SOL there is 3 years. If it is past SOL and you make a written agreement, carrying your signature, or a payment with your signature on it then the SOL may be re-set. If so then they would be free to legally sue you for the full amount.

You need to research the laws where you are living. If it is SOL then you have a legal right to send them a letter informing them that it is SOL.

yeah ur right it is old 1983 i think. but the loan was originally in new york.. what is SOL? sorry im a virgin..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance