Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,033,436 times

Advertisements

Like I implied in my original post. If you can figure out how to get $49k/year into your 401k, the rest of the strategies involved in building wealth become a walk in the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 AM

444 posts, read 1,245,675 times
The biggest thing is to not to have debt & risk. Don't drive new cars & use CC's. Don't have a mortgage over 25% of your monthly income. Invest in good growth mutual funds.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 AM

18 posts, read 25,945 times
In my opinion, investing in gold and real estate brings back a lot of money, but as you have said suppose anyone doesn't has got that much of amount to spend , then he can simply try his luck in acting...

Old 09-27-2010, 08:00 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,530,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
The biggest thing is to not to have debt & risk.
is mutually exclusive from

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
Don't have a mortgage over 25% of your monthly income. Invest in good growth mutual funds.
Mortgage is debt and growth mutual funds are often the riskiest.

However, these (mortgage and growth funds) are what a young person should be doing. It's OK to borrow and it is OK to invest in risky funds - when you're 22. Rates are so low and growth funds are fairly tax efficient (low interest and dividends).

Old 09-27-2010, 09:04 AM

444 posts, read 1,245,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
is mutually exclusive from

Mortgage is debt and growth mutual funds are often the riskiest.

However, these (mortgage and growth funds) are what a young person should be doing. It's OK to borrow and it is OK to invest in risky funds - when you're 22. Rates are so low and growth funds are fairly tax efficient (low interest and dividends).

My comment on debt was referring to car loans, credit cards, student loans, personal loans, etc...

Old 09-27-2010, 10:30 AM

680 posts, read 1,915,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Like I implied in my original post. If you can figure out how to get $49k/year into your 401k, the rest of the strategies involved in building wealth become a walk in the park.
Hi NJBest, can you help me understand how it's possible to get $49K into one's 401K?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:12 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,157,024 times
If you're young risk is your friend. Read the Morningstar investment books on investing in mutual funds and don't be worrried so much about keeping your money "safe". In the long run the market will reward risk. And you're in it for the long run...

Amazon.com: Find the Right Mutual Fund: Morningstar Mutual Fund Investing Workbook, Level 1 (9780471711858): Christine Benz: Books

This is first book in the series....

Last edited by Tallysmom; 09-27-2010 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: I can't spell...

Old 09-27-2010, 11:15 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,180,974 times
My husband and I both worked, but only lived off of one salary when we were starting out. We used the other salary to quickly pay off student loans, and after that for investments. We had second jobs to save for the down payment on a house. We took advantage of free tuition for grad school from our employers. We bought a fixer upper first house in a great neighborhood, did the work ourselves, and turned a huge profit when sold it because of a job relocation. We've repeated that process several times, each time reinvesting the money in a down payment, so now our current home is nearly paid for. When we started a family, I decided to stay home with kids and work part time from home--he was free to travel more extensively for work and build his career. We still live well below our means, we're still saving, but we have zero debt except for what's left on the house, and have great savings for retirement and college for the kids.

Selling a house now would be tough, but this is a great time to buy at a bargain price--if you can build even more equity by doing improvements yourself, then the payoff increases even more long term. I'm not going to give you investment advice, but there are real opportunities out there with companies who'll be able to ride the recession out and come out strong. You just have to do your research and be smart about it.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,033,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post
Hi NJBest, can you help me understand how it's possible to get $49K into one's 401K?
Well, the only real way is to have income high enough in a manner that you can actually put that kind of money away. I mention $49K because that is the maximum amount that anyone can put into their 401k. The exception is those less beneficial employer sponsored 401K's that have a ridiculously low limit of 16.5K or so.

Look up solo 401K and get your ducks aligned to qualify for one.

Last edited by NJBest; 09-27-2010 at 12:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance