Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:33 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,241,421 times

Advertisements

Join a reserve branch of the military, just work once a weekend a month for at least $500 or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 PM

3,500 posts, read 6,147,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
Join a reserve branch of the military, just work once a weekend a month for at least $500 or something.
Until they send you to Afghanistan.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:35 AM

18,656 posts, read 33,251,193 times
If you join the Reserves in a "critical specialty" (which is defined every year by that branch of the Reserves) the government will pay off a significant amount of your school loans for each year of Reserve duty. It's a lot of paperwork to get it through, but when I was in Army Medical Reserves, the gov. paid off about $3K a year of my loans. I was in "pre-surgical nurse" category, a critical specialty. I was "pre" for a year and then went into the actual category. I could have gone in as a psych RN, which was my main experience, but that wasn't critical.
A non-RN friend of mine went in under some artillery designation, which was critical then.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:41 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,700,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbristowwannab View Post
So I graduated in May 2010 and just today discovered that my monthly student loan payments will be about $575 a month. I have about $40,000 in loans...not bad for a private school I suppose. However, I was gullible at 18 and believed that the second I graduated I would find an amazing job and have all the money in the world.

Six months after graduation, I have a job that pays $12 an hour (can't find anything higher) and I'm about to have a baby in November. With my mortgage payment and all the other bills I pay just to live, I am at a complete loss of what to do.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!! I never would've gone to school if I had been able to look in a crystal ball....
You've got tons of responses so hopefully you've gotten some good advice. While I didn't read all these pages of responses I want to add-

don't stress over this.
There are TONS of jobs you could take to get your loans either paid for or deferred. You'll have to check with Dept of Ed- they have the list on their site. Plus, your state may also have some, too.

Get a job HERE in one of these fields. Get your student loans deferred. Then make your payments so that ALL the $ goes to principle. My daughter has just done this. She was eligible for deferrment but didn't do it because she has an income. I persuaded her to do it and now her monthly payment goes all to her loan...NONE to interest. She'll have these paid off in no time.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2010, 03:12 AM

3,852 posts, read 12,841,431 times
Quote:
I will get flamed for this but for the average person college is a waste of money since the whole system is set up as a scam. Many promises few deliveries of good jobs.
dropping out and starting my own business was probably the best choice I ever made. Unless you can get a 3.5+ gpa, college is a complete waste of time for most. Over hyped and over sold. Now if college was affordable, as in tuition under 1k/year then it would be a good place for most but these days spending 10k/year to attend school only leads to debt.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:46 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,040,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
dropping out and starting my own business was probably the best choice I ever made. Unless you can get a 3.5+ gpa, college is a complete waste of time for most. Over hyped and over sold. Now if college was affordable, as in tuition under 1k/year then it would be a good place for most but these days spending 10k/year to attend school only leads to debt.
Yea I agree with the post you responded to and agree that it's over hyped and over sold. Especially when people are spending like ridiculous amounts like 40K per year.

I think it all depends on the school, the degree and the cirriculum. The problem though when you are a teenager, it's hard to know what a good school or cirriculum is. How does a teen determine that, ya know?

Old 10-16-2010, 07:41 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,002,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Yea I agree with the post you responded to and agree that it's over hyped and over sold. Especially when people are spending like ridiculous amounts like 40K per year.

I think it all depends on the school, the degree and the cirriculum. The problem though when you are a teenager, it's hard to know what a good school or cirriculum is. How does a teen determine that, ya know?
Teenagers are fed throughout their high school career "if you go to college, you'll get a good job." What they forget to tell high schoolers is the debt associated with the schooling, and most 'good jobs' out of the gate upon graduating don't pay extremely well.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:45 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,509,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
GRRRRR. Posts like this make me so mad. The OP made really bad decisions. She needs to suck it up & deal with her debt, not hide her money & foist her obligations onto the rest of us.
Yeah but ironically that is what banks/Wall St. does and they get off fine doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance