Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 27,741 times

Advertisements

Wells Fargo is threatening to sue over a credit card debt. I stopped making payment on the account in February due to financial hardship. There was an income reduction at work (I work for Wells Fargo). I tried to work out a payment plan with them, but they wouldn't put anything in writing and refused my offers. The account is now over 6 months old and charged off at the end of September. I got a letter from then that the account will not be turned over to a third party but they will sue unless I make the full payment. I owed a little of $10K before they started adding fees etc and the balance is now over $11K. About 2 months ago they offered a reduction of about 30% of the balance but I have to come up with the full payment over 3 months. I don't have any lumpsum amount and can only do monthly payment. I asked them for 0% to make monthly payment over 5 years but they refused. What do I do? If they go ahead and sue me, how do I respond to the summon? Can I fight it even though I owe the money? I'm in North Carolina. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 05:02 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,421,804 times
Get an attorney. This is not good when your employer is suing you.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Get an attorney. This is not good when your employer is suing you.
I can't afford an attorney.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Basically they are doing this more and more lately especailly on such amounts. They will get a judgment then wait often refiling it for years as required.I would recommend you showup when summoned tho.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:34 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,632 times
Maybe if you threaten bankruptcy? I dunno never did it but one would think that if threatened with a chap 7 where they get nothing they'd prefer some sort of payment schedule instead.

Good luck to you my friend, I hope everything works out for you.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:01 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,329 times
They are just posturing and threatening. Keep going back and forth. Try to save some sort of lump sum, whether it is $3000-5000. When you have that lump sum, tell them that you'll write them a check if they put in writing that they will accept that payment in full for your debt. Get the piece of paper in writing FIRST and then write the check.

Let them threaten, I doubt they will actually sue you anytime soon.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:05 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
There are laws that govern what a debt colection can do and not do. WF is acting as its own agent. TI don't know if this company can help you or not, but they were able to hel me. They have offices in several states. Bankruptcy is never good, but in some situations it is the only choice and its fairly cheap when compared to the debt incured. Starat here and read carefully. If they don't have license in your state they can answer general debt collection questions. FDCPA|Debt Collection | Debt Collections |FCRA |Fair Credit Reporting Act |Fair Debt Collection Practices Act . You may be able to lower the balance by using a debt-reduction agency. But be warned. A good deal of the paynent goes into their pockets and not on reduction of the debt

DO NOT AGREE to anything else without the advice of an attorney. You don't want to get in any deeper by agreeing to something you don't understand.

Just remember it "ain't over until the fat lady sings" and your curtain hasn't opened yet. .

Old 10-10-2010, 09:30 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,283 times
Lawyer fees are expensive for them too, your debt isn't that high compared to some, they may ignore you in a few months...

If you had 50k debt and a job, it'd be different though.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:25 PM

Thank you very much everyone. I sent them a certified mail today offering to pay the actual balance minus all the extra fees over 5 years with no interest. I asked them to put it in writing if they accept my offer. IF not, I don't think there is anything else I can offer them.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:33 PM

362 posts, read 392,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyP71 View Post
Thank you very much everyone. I sent them a certified mail today offering to pay the actual balance minus all the extra fees over 5 years with no interest. I asked them to put it in writing if they accept my offer. IF not, I don't think there is anything else I can offer them.
Very good idea. If they don't take it go to Consumer credit counseling. The wil basically get you that same deal and do it for free. Don't go to the ones that chage you for this service. There are community based CCC's with no fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance