Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:46 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,668,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
BTW, this is probably a good place to remind people that the biggest problem most people make when they have committed what I will call a business or tax mistake is the false statements they make about the facts to other persons such as law enforcement, tax collectors, bank security people, etc. On the sheer facts, the case above is a winner. But when the derfwad client starts explaining things in a reasonable way, he will surely destroy his defenses and probably commit a few felonies in the process.

Rule of thumb: Never speak with law enforcement persons about anything, ever, other than which way a fleeing felon ran. If they need the information, your attorney can give it to them.

Usually the most serious crime in the mix is lying about what happened.

Good advice.

My attorney has a large mounted fish on his office wall. One day, I decided to read the brass plaque on the fish....expecting it to say the species, weight, where caught, etc. But what it says is, "I wouldn't be here if I had kept my big mouth shut...". LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 07:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Why aren't you MORE concerned with the GIANT red flag of how the $90k got transferred/ deposited into your current account?

You DO know that legally you need to claim that $90k as income on your tax return and that you are legally required to pay taxes on that income. There is no such thing as "safe-keeping" money for a friend or family member. I totally get that you're trying to help your friend, but you have seriously put yourself in legal/financial jeopardy by "helping". Consult an attorney ASAP about how to get out of the jam you're in as quickly as possible.
He could always claim it was a loan from the friend---

But the fact that the friend is the one hiding assets is the real crime--and I mean that literally
I believe it IS a crime to do that trying to deceive about assets in a legal proceeding
So he is certainly an active accessory to that if the mortgage company finds out he could be in trouble

Old 11-18-2017, 07:21 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
Is this "money laundering?"

Old 11-18-2017, 07:24 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
That isn't the situation here AT ALL. OP's friend has to short-sell his house because he "allegedly" doesn't have enough money to bring to the closing table (he signed a legally binding agreement to take out a mortgage & repay that mortgage)....but HE DOES REALLY HAVE THAT MONEY (it's "hiding" in OP's bank account). OP's friend thought he was above the law and for whatever reason didn't need to pay off his debts -that no one forced him to take on....nor did anyone promise him his home value would only go UP.

OP's friend should be afraid of the government. He is blatantly committing mortgage fraud and stiffing the bank with somewhere up to $90k that he is able, yet unwilling, to pay back.
You don't know the friend's (home owner's) situation to know how far that 90K would go to make the mortgage company whole
But the idea that he is trying to hide assets from the mortgage company is illegal--whether he thinks he got shafted or not--legally he is supposed to be honest about his assets...

Old 11-18-2017, 09:00 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
SEVEN YEAR OLD THREAD

Brought back from someone with 20,000 posts. Hmm.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:23 PM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
Oh good Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance