Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 05:39 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
do you live with roommates? its certainly an option but its a pretty desperate option for someone in a relationship in their 30's. I don't think katestar is at that level of desperation.
Yes, and I hope to continue doing so until I'm married or have a net worth north of $250,000. Whichever comes first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Yes, and I hope to continue doing so until I'm married or have a net worth north of $250,000. Whichever comes first.
well, I think I made an incorrect assumption about you. I figured you were older and married. I had roommates also before I moved in with my wife. I believe katestar is in a long term relationship so I doubt she is looking to take on a roommate.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
well, I think I made an incorrect assumption about you. I figured you were older and married. I had roommates also before I moved in with my wife. I believe katestar is in a long term relationship so I doubt she is looking to take on a roommate.
Perhaps so.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:53 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,280 times
Quote:
Yes! I lived with roommates and/or partners ever since I moved out of my parents house after college. I live with my partner now and we have a baby coming. I've thought of getting a bigger place and possibly renting out the room, but every time I really consider it, I want to shoot myself. I feel that I've accomplished enough in my life that I can afford our $900/mos rent without roommates. Now mind you, we have a very small apartment and purposefully didn't go for something bigger to save money.

I hope to increase my salary by at least 50% in the next 5 years or so, that will help. We know to save everything, no extravagances or luxuries here, but we don't put away every penny, we like to enjoy life a little too

Old 01-15-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Yes! I lived with roommates and/or partners ever since I moved out of my parents house after college. I live with my partner now and we have a baby coming. I've thought of getting a bigger place and possibly renting out the room, but every time I really consider it, I want to shoot myself. I feel that I've accomplished enough in my life that I can afford our $900/mos rent without roommates. Now mind you, we have a very small apartment and purposefully didn't go for something bigger to save money.

I hope to increase my salary by at least 50% in the next 5 years or so, that will help. We know to save everything, no extravagances or luxuries here, but we don't put away every penny, we like to enjoy life a little too
From the years you did have roommates, did you put the difference towards retirement?

Old 01-18-2014, 04:12 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I would rather enjoy life while I am younger, than have a bunch of money when I am old.
That's exactly what my 23 year old son said to me. When you are "old" you might want a place to live and food to eat.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:37 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
we sadly had to say good by to our friends who were also of the i will spend it now club.

well unexpectedly they both made it to retirement age and due to job loss they were forced to retire.

being of the belief of why waste money saving it ,i rather spend it while we are young , it left them in a terrible position and one they deeply regretted.

they now had to move away from family and friends to another part of the country where they could afford to live as nyc was no longer an option..

they were soooooo depressed and were beating themselves up for being so stupid.

being financially ignorant about retirement planning they had no clue how little what they did have would generate.

the same story was mine , when my folks had to pack up and move as well as they had to find an area they could afford down south. they missed the best parts of daily life with us and their grandkids.

as they say nothing is ever a problem until it is a problem.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-19-2014 at 03:54 AM..

Old 01-19-2014, 08:10 AM

131 posts, read 224,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Hahaha - OP just needed someone to talk to tonight.
Now he is just talking, but in 40 or 50 years when he has an empty belly and jack squat to his name, he'll be howling for you to give him his "fair share" of what you accumulated through self-discipline and hard work.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
doesnt it always pan out like that. then they turn it into a class thing. you see it all the time on city data.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:07 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
It's not just about retirement.

The beauty of life is being able to give. You cannot give what you don't have. If you are constantly spending money, you have nothing to give when you leave this earth. The person with a $3 million retirement portfolio and a paid off house can pass all of his earnings to his / her descendants or donate it to charity.

The whole point is... a person with $1 million, can exist indefinitely on $40K / year (pegged to inflation) using the safe withdrawal rate of 4% per year. Then donate the rest to charity. They will never deplete their savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance