Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 08:27 PM

13 posts, read 82,898 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm 24 years old. I only have a bank of america checking account. I live in New York City. I opened it back in 2005 or so when i was in college and opened it at the bank. Its a student account and i still use it even though i graduated college last year. However, i have no job whatsoever. I however have opened an ing direct savings account online and it is great and did this probably 3 years ago. But to those people who open a chase checking account online, should i be fine even though i have unemployed? I am looking at the application and it ask me what is my occupation etc. Even though i'm unemployed, i have money in my bank of america checking account and would transfer money from there.

Would i be fine? The account i want is the chase better banking checking account. It requires $1500 minimum in the account in order for there to be no fees. I would like to transfer about 5000 or so from bank of america account to chase as my first deposit. Would everything be fine since i am unemployed even though i saved money the last few years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 09:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
On the occupation line, just say "Retired". If anybody questions it, just say you might come out of retirement and go back to work some day, because you're still quite young to be retired. That's not a lie.

If you're not comfortable with that, say "Self-employed" and if they come back with a query, tell them you are a freelance writer, or that you go around to rock concerts selling PBJ sandwiches in the parking lots making $40K a year. Or "Student", studying under a private mentor. There are millions of people who are living well. quite lawfully and legitimately, with no visible "employer" in the picture.

Employment status has nothing to do with eligibility for an ordinary bank account.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-18-2010 at 09:57 AM..

Old 10-18-2010, 10:22 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
Chase blows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance