Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 03:38 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Obamacare will save lots of lives and now everyone has access to affordable healthcare. Best president ever!
There's nothing affordable about Obamacare. You'll just get the bill in your taxes and in higher prices of things. It just spreads the high costs around more evenly, doing nothing to address the sh*tty way of doing business by the medical industyr and doing nothing to encourage healthier lifestyles among citizens so they don't get so many chronic diseases in the first places (such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, & high blood pressure).

Even proponents of Obama, such as Warren Buffet, admit that Obamacare will do very little to stop the runaway train in health care costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Umm....you don't know the numbers but its a statistical fact? Anyhow, regardless of what the actual numbers are your reasoning here makes little sense. Its not the percentage of people that are not working at age 65 that matter, but rather the percentage of people that are 65 that would like to work but are unable to find it. The senior unemployment rate is no where near 95%.

Gee....come to your house?
User ID....I wonder if you know these numbers:

The Employee Benefit Research Institute's annual retirement confidence survey has consistently found that a big chunk of workers -- 41% in 2010 -- leave their jobs earlier than they'd planned. The reasons include:
  • Health problems or disability (54%).
  • Changes at their company, such as downsizing or closure (26%).
  • Having to care for a spouse or another family member (19%).
Hidden retirement mistakes - Liz Pulliam Weston - MSN Money

Old 10-31-2010, 04:06 AM

Quote:
The thread was created to talk about retirement savings, or the lack thereof. I'm not sure whether you are trying to conflate planning for old age with retirement savings/retirement, obviously the latter is just an example of the former. I'm certainly planning for old age, but I don't plan to retire.

Anyhow, if one doesn't desire a traditional retirement then one does need to save for retirement.
It still seems to me like you're being deliberately obtuse here.

OK, you don't believe in retirement accounts and you run a business. Great.

--Is the business going to run itself with no effort on your part when you're old? Great. But there are very few businesses like that.

--Are you really sure you're going to be able to stop working when you want to vs. when circumstances force you to? I think many people end up retiring early because they didn't take care of themselves...but even if you do all the right things, it's still possible you won't be able to work as a result of circumstances beyong your control.

In short, if you don't like retirement accounts, what is your plan for old age? If it's "Work at my business(es) until I drop dead"....well that's not a plan. Maybe you answered this already...I hope you'll forgive me for not reading all the posts here.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:11 AM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times
the company i work for specializes in taking over companies not by buying them. when companies fall on hard times or the owners wish to get out our company will basically buy the usable inventory, offer the owner a temporary job and with that get the people to just slide over and work for the new company along with all the customer accounts.

the businesses have no value at all. 30 million dollar companies with no value other then the people that make up the company.

if there is no real estate going with your business ofton the business itself leaves you with nothing of value at the end. you may have enjoyed a nice income for years but at the end of the game it may be worth nothing.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:58 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
There's nothing affordable about Obamacare. You'll just get the bill in your taxes and in higher prices of things. It just spreads the high costs around more evenly, doing nothing to address the sh*tty way of doing business by the medical industyr and doing nothing to encourage healthier lifestyles among citizens so they don't get so many chronic diseases in the first places (such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, & high blood pressure).

Even proponents of Obama, such as Warren Buffet, admit that Obamacare will do very little to stop the runaway train in health care costs.
Higher taxes but it will save lives and people will be more healthier and living longer.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:16 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,261 times
I also don't understand why some people think they can't save for retirement AND enjoy life.
I mean-- hell you are only putting about 15% of your income into a retirement account. Use the other 85% to enjoy life.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:33 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:

If I had my way defined pensions would be nothing but a memory.
Good thing you don't rule the world. I've literally bled for the pension(s) I'll collect- and contributed a ton of my own money.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:34 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Just have a high income and still be frugal and you are set.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:17 AM

413 posts, read 1,164,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I'm 24, and have saved $75,000 for retirement to date. I contribute 15% of my salary to my 401K, and I max out both my wife and my roth ira's. I plan to retire when I'm 60 (in 36 years-- or 2046). This is why I save for retirement:

1. There will be no social security in 2046. Anyone who thinks there will is kidding themselves.
2. Medical costs will be much higher than they currently are (even with health/disability insurance)
3. I don't want my kids (if I have any) to have to take care of me
4. There are going to be no pensions in 2046 (hell-- there is hardly any left now!) You will need more money to generate reliable income.
5. Being old is painful. You don't want to be in pain AND poor.

The goal for me is $3,000,000 by the time I retire... which will probably be just enough to scrape by in 2046.
You must make a substantial amount of money to be able to save up $75k at such a tender age.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:56 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
Having retirement savings is planning for old age, we get that you dont want to retire, but that doesnt mean that people who save for retirement are planning on sitting in a rocking chair for the rest of their life. This is a dumb thread.
Really? Good thing I never suggest that everyone who saves for retirement is planning on sitting in a rocking chair. The purpose of the thread is not to critique those that do save for retirement, but rather consider the other option. Get it? But naturally penny-picking misers have transformed it into a thread about the virtue of savings.

What is dumb is the consistent pigeonholing instead of reading what is actually stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance