Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:51 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times

Advertisements

I haven't written a check in over 2 years.

I saw a man the other day writing a check for something and I rarely see anyone doing that anymore.. , everyone whips out their ATM Debit Card...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,396 times
I'm so glad I'm not alone in not balancing my checkbook. 1% checks 99%DebitCard

Old 11-07-2010, 07:17 PM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Yep, I still balance/reconcile my checkbook against my credit union statement every month. Even though I use the online banking to see how many transactions have cleared, I still record those in my checkbook register to get an accurate picture of what I actually have in my account. Works for me.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:42 PM

385 posts, read 1,454,950 times
I still balance my checkbook, just to make sure there aren't any checks or debit card payments I forget about.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 AM

412 posts, read 1,229,416 times
I definitely still balance my checkbook. Keeping up with a checkbook balance gives me a realistic picture of how much money I actually have at any given time.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:52 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonangel View Post
I definitely still balance my checkbook. Keeping up with a checkbook balance gives me a realistic picture of how much money I actually have at any given time.
Pop into your online bank account a couple of times a day and you will have a much more realistic picture of how much money you actually have at any given time..
Checks and balancing are last century...

Old 11-10-2010, 03:58 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Pop into your online bank account a couple of times a day and you will have a much more realistic picture of how much money you actually have at any given time..
Checks and balancing are last century...
Not if there are outstanding checks.

I don't write many checks either - but sometimes there is no getting around it. For example, class fees for school. When my son was involved on a sports team - we wrote checks. When I send my nieces and nephews birthday money in a card - I send a check. I don't want to send cash in the mail. Just a few examples.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:29 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
My take is that balancing is not necessary if you pay the majority of your bills online, write a limited number of checks, and also carry a sufficient balance so that when a set of checks and payments clear all at once you don't over-draft your account. In this situation, what is really to reconcile? Your online balance is what is in your account minus any outstanding checks (which are minimal).

Old 11-11-2010, 04:45 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default Something else to consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
My take is that balancing is not necessary if you pay the majority of your bills online, write a limited number of checks, and also carry a sufficient balance so that when a set of checks and payments clear all at once you don't over-draft your account. In this situation, what is really to reconcile? Your online balance is what is in your account minus any outstanding checks (which are minimal).
I think there is an aspect to all this that you are missing. And that is checking for fraud and for unauthorized charges. If your online balance is the same as your checkbook balance, then all is well. I check this at least once a week - it is very quick to do and gives me peace of mind. Also, at the beginning of the month, I always look at the automatic deposits online to be sure they have been posted - there are just three of them, but I want to know is something isn't there all of a sudden.

Just because your online balance has been correct for many years doesn't mean you couldn't have a nasty surprise someday. I actually know two people who have been the victims of fraud - one caught it early and received full restitution from the bank, while the other let things go so long (the amounts were relatively small) without realizing anything was wrong that he only got partial restitution.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:34 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Yeah, but I think it's fun to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance