Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,874 times

Advertisements

I need to find a lawyer to help me file a bankruptcy as I incurred a tremendous amount of debt before I was able to get on disability. Currently I am on SSDI and am disabled. As you can imagine with SSDI I have a very fixed income and so do not have much money. My disability is mental health related. I have been diagnosed with acute generalized anxiety disorder and severe agoraphobia and because of this I am homebound. I am unable to travel away from my home. I need to find an attorney who would be able to work with me and find alternatives as I would not be able to attend the actual bankruptcy hearing at the court house. My situation is desperate and must proceed with my bankruptcy as the creditors are litigating against me currently and some have already won judgments against me and are now levying my bank account! Because of this I am unable to even use my bank account and fear that they may attach to my SSDI check leaving me with no income and unable to meet my most basic needs of food or rent. If there is anyway you can assist me with this matter I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 04:11 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I've never heard of an attorney coming to your home. But you can try calling Legal Aid Services, they should be able to help you with your problems. I don't know if there are waivers for not attending the hearing. You don't actually go to a bankruptcy hearing, it's a meeting of the creditors, and you have to be there in case any show up. When the bankruptcy is dismissed, you get a letter in the mail.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I've never heard of an attorney coming to your home. But you can try calling Legal Aid Services, they should be able to help you with your problems. I don't know if there are waivers for not attending the hearing. You don't actually go to a bankruptcy hearing, it's a meeting of the creditors, and you have to be there in case any show up. When the bankruptcy is dismissed, you get a letter in the mail.
good advice: legal services will be able to help if there is a reason and a true need; sounds like there is. No, I am sure the attonery will not come to your home. You will need someone to appear for you. In fact, with your situation shouldn't you have someone as your guardian or something like that?

Nita

Old 07-29-2009, 07:50 PM

Your SSDI cannot be garnished, and they need to know that you're on SSDI. If they're garnishing your bank account, it's illegal, and the bank should not be letting them do this. You need to call Legal Aid immediately, and they'll be able to help you. But I doubt if they have attorney that will come to your home. You should have asomeone that helps you from IHSS that can take you to your appointments.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Your SSDI cannot be garnished, and they need to know that you're on SSDI. If they're garnishing your bank account, it's illegal, and the bank should not be letting them do this. You need to call Legal Aid immediately, and they'll be able to help you. But I doubt if they have attorney that will come to your home. You should have asomeone that helps you from IHSS that can take you to your appointments.
think you are right, no one can garish or put a hold on a bank accoun and that goes for a SSDI check.\.

Nita

Old 08-06-2009, 12:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,715 times
Not to sound cold-hearted, but . . .
"Disabled" SSDI recipient gets money from government, gets heavily into debt, "can't leave house", wants free attorney, wants attorney to come to home, "can't" appear at creditor's meeting, wants free input from forum members, . . . is there anything else we can do for you?

Do you really have no family, no friends, no support system, no government-funded resources, just a monthly check from us, a computer and on-line access, and a list of your needs?

Can you find work in a computer-related filed? You write well and appear to be very articulate. Your best option may be to terminate your status as a victim and join the ranks of people who "do what they have to do" . No offense, just one of many who are weary of "takers" who never stop asking for more. If you are one of the truly needy, there are many who wlll gladly help you. If not, you need to take care of business just like the rest of us. IMHO

Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smithton View Post
"Disabled" SSDI recipient gets money from government, gets heavily into debt, "can't leave house", wants free attorney, wants attorney to come to home, "can't" appear at creditor's meeting, wants free input from forum members, . . . is there anything else we can do for you?

Do you really have no family, no friends, no support system, no government-funded resources, just a monthly check from us, a computer and on-line access, and a list of your needs?

Can you find work in a computer-related filed? You write well and appear to be very articulate. Your best option may be to terminate your status as a victim and join the ranks of people who "do what they have to do" . No offense, just one of many who are weary of "takers" who never stop asking for more. If you are one of the truly needy, there are many who wlll gladly help you. If not, you need to take care of business just like the rest of us. IMHO
This is true. If the OP truly has problems, the only recourse is to contact the Legal Aid Society and they will evaluate the situation.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:52 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smithton View Post

I think you're being a bit hard on the OP without knowing all the circumstances. True, some individuals need a little push and the suggestion about doing computer work (from home) might be helpful as long as the income does not jeapardize the OP's SS disability benefits. I'm in a similar situation but due to physical disability--none of my friends or family are able to provide anything more than moral support. Let's give this OP the benefit of the doubt. There are many of us who are NOT "takers" but find ourselves between a rock and a hard place.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 4,995 times
I too am over-indebted. I was informed by Arvest Bank that they would honor a garnishment on my Social Security/SSI if thy get an order from the court to do so. Why will they not tell the court that my funds are ungarnishable? My direct deposit goes there, so they know where my money comes from.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 4,995 times
I thought that a creditor could accept any amount of money and could not refuse to take it. Security Finance says that they can only take the whole payment. Is that correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance