U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,376 times

Advertisements

I recently had a judgment filed against me for a $1000 cap one credit card that went into collections. I live in NJ, and according to some internet information regarding my state's rules, there is a $1000 allowed in my bank account that they cannot touch and I am allowed a car that they cannot take. Does this sound correct and will they abide by these laws? It sounds like it would be easy for them to pull the money and then say they made a mistake or make you point out to them that they illegially took your money. Secondly, besides listing my bank account on the application for the cc, how are the lawyers or whoever puts a levy on your account able to find your bank account?
It seems you could just open up another bank account in another city to avoid this. I know you have to give your ss# when you open an account, but does this information then go somewhere that they can just go on the computer and find your account where ever it is? Seems like the banks would not be very motivated to deal with lawyers all day asking questions about one of their customers accounts. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 09:39 PM

258 posts, read 437,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddhatter View Post
I recently had a judgment filed against me for a $1000 cap one credit card that went into collections. I live in NJ, and according to some internet information regarding my state's rules, there is a $1000 allowed in my bank account that they cannot touch and I am allowed a car that they cannot take. Does this sound correct and will they abide by these laws? It sounds like it would be easy for them to pull the money and then say they made a mistake or make you point out to them that they illegially took your money. Secondly, besides listing my bank account on the application for the cc, how are the lawyers or whoever puts a levy on your account able to find your bank account?
It seems you could just open up another bank account in another city to avoid this. I know you have to give your ss# when you open an account, but does this information then go somewhere that they can just go on the computer and find your account where ever it is? Seems like the banks would not be very motivated to deal with lawyers all day asking questions about one of their customers accounts. Thanks in advance.

Simple solution take your money out of your bank account and put it somewhere else.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:06 PM

9,811 posts, read 20,872,553 times
Open a bank account in a state other than NJ. Don't use any inaccurate information when dealing with the bank.

Leave your old bank account open with a few dollars (the minimum your old bank requires) that way you will know when they execute on the account and they also will not try to look elsewhere.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:53 PM

5,547 posts, read 7,758,564 times
Why don't you just contact the bank and make payment arrangements to PAY IT OFF?

It's only $!000, fer chrissakes. Pay your bills.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:07 AM

13,548 posts, read 17,090,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Why don't you just contact the bank and make payment arrangements to PAY IT OFF?

It's only $!000, fer chrissakes. Pay your bills.
Why don't you not worry about being his moral accountant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance