Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:34 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,232 times

Advertisements

Should have been a journalist, publishing headlines like that, hah! Anyway, guys, America keeps burning down. OMG! WTF??

Please are there any POLICE/FIRE-men and women who wanna comment on this?

I've been commenting on some of these fires in another thread. The issues gotten so damn hot I had to start a new thread devoted to the topic of FINANCIAL ISSUES are causing a lot of FIRES burning down Americans' homes, not to mention causing injuries and (mostly) fatalities (Most times you asphyxiate relatively-quickly on the smoke and burn to a crisp post-mortem). (I know this also because I rode my bike near a forest fire once!)

Not only American homes (mainly smaller multi-family apartment units and homes converted in to multi-unit apartments it seems) but American businesses here and there are going up in smoke too...and not just at 4:20 pm either.

Here in my neck of swamp yankee Appalachia, a home burned completely last week (no one home at the time, apparently). Oh yeah, then there was another two or three the other day but not in my home town. Also around here old empty or partially empty industrial buildings are mysteriously having fires (some real big, some small) that usually start after midnight. Oh yeah, plus that night in the fall when someone cut a swath through Providence lighting about 4 or 5 fires at least, some of which caught real good and some fizzled.

Here are just two of the latest in the news, if I did another 2 minutes of research online I could probably post 5-20 more from the last month from around the nation.

Police officer's son accused of setting fire to mother's home arraigned on arson charges | WPRI.com

4 childen, 1 adult killed in Redmond apartment fire

It's not too hard to figure out what's going on here. Lives imploding financially, people emotionally come unbalanced, etc. Also, think about the vast increase in people doubling up on home occupancy to save money during the Great Recession (oh wait a minute, didn't that end in June 2010? yuk yuk).

When you have more people living together things are more volatile and basically there is a higher chance for somebody to do something dumb. Something that could cause a FIRE.

Whatever the case may be, this is certainly a sign of the times. BTW, notice any mainstream media covering this topic? What's that you say? The brainiacs at the NYT haven't covered this??

P.S. Anything burn down in your town last week?

P.S.S. Happy New Year y'all. Blessings to all the Good Eggs out there!

P.S.S.S. (Okay, that's silly!) Fire-resistant blankets on sale at your nearest WalMart. 99 cents made in China. You buy, you like!

Last edited by POhdNcrzy; 01-01-2011 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: To be or not to be too tired to edit too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 08:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
You migh also loo to see if the hoems are older homes besides in a state of disrepair. If you look at fire i any area mosrt are pretty concentrated i area by a large per centage. most are i areas where homes in disrepair are located. They tend to have more space heaters and other more dangerous heating or bad electrical. Abandoned home are even mroe of a target for vagrents starting open fires.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You migh also loo to see if the hoems are older homes besides in a state of disrepair. If you look at fire i any area mosrt are pretty concentrated i area by a large per centage. most are i areas where homes in disrepair are located. They tend to have more space heaters and other more dangerous heating or bad electrical. Abandoned home are even mroe of a target for vagrents starting open fires.
Yes, there are many old unimproved dwellings in the US, especially residential rental units. I wonder if there is a stock of older housing that's reached a level of crumminess now where fire becomes much more likely.

Whatever the case, a ton of stuff is burning down lately. I can't believe this hasn't been covered anywhere in the media (that I know of).

Old 01-06-2011, 07:56 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,192,775 times
That first post sounds like when there is that one guy muttering on the bus, where you find an excuse to move to a seat farther away.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times
1. I haven't noticed more fires than usual in my area, so this may be a local phenomenon for you.

2. It is wintertime. In the wintertime, people light more fires than in the rest of the year, so accidents are more likely to happen.

3. The one part I agree with in your post is that with more people in a house, there are more chances for someone to accidently start a fire.

4. Have you actually done even an unscientific count to see if the numbers of fires per month are higher this winter than in past winters? If not, then don't berate the media for not jumping all over this "story".

Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Whatever the case, a ton of stuff is burning down lately. I can't believe this hasn't been covered anywhere in the media (that I know of).
Maybe it's because "a ton of stuff is" NOT " burning down lately"!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
I live in a poorer city and house fires aren't uncommon. The houses are older, people overload the circuits and bang! electrical fire. People lose their power and start lighting candles for light (Or even use candles for romantic lighting) and bang! curtains are set on fire.

People lose their lives because instead of replacing batteries in smoke alarms they dismantle them so they stop chirping. People lose their lives because they put bars over all the windows to keep the bad guys out, and don't spend the extra money to get breakaway bars (pull the chain on the inside of the window, cotter pins come out and the bars swing open) and they are trapped.

And while these things are tragic, they aren't necessarily caused by the economic realities of today. To my thinking you're jumping to conclusions...

Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
This sounds like my old neighborhood in Detroit. Many years ago, back during the economic hard times of the late 70's --80's, parts od Detroit simply died, including my area on the East Side. A combination of factors, incluidng high unemployment, plunging house prices, high crime, etc, caused neighborhoods to die seemingly overnight.

Many resorted to torching their own properties, or at least the detached garages, to lower the tax value. It seemed there was a fire a week! Usually they were abandoned homes, we never knew if it was valdals, or people torching them to collect enough insurance money to pay off the mortgage. They would still be stuck with taxes on the land itself, but less than taxes on the improved property.

Of course, amy homes burned due to old, outdated, faulty wiring, and unsafe habits, such as using space heaters, etc.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:25 PM

Maybe it's different where you live, but it's really goin' up in flames around here. We have about a fire every other day lately.

Employee accused of setting store on fire | Turn to 10

Taunton City Hall fire ruled arson | Turn to 10

Sticking your head in the sand never works, although it's certainly the great American pastime.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:17 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Sticking your head in the sand never works, although it's certainly the great American pastime.
How is it sticking your head in the sand when what YOU describe is not happening HERE?

Seriously, there is no arson epidemic in my area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance