Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,361 times

Advertisements

Bought a car from a so called friend. She's letting me make payments, no finance charges. She has a lien on the title and I have full coverage insurance on it. Picked it up November 24, 2010 and it would not pass inspection to get the plates til December 20, 2010. I don't feel as thought I should make a payment til January 20, 2011 since it took so long to get it to pass. She called today and wants it back. What should I do? Take it back or what? I told her before Christmas I couldn't make a payment til January, her mom told me last week that this weekend or the first of next week would be ok. I'm at a loss. I've already spent money on it to get it on the road and now she wants it back. Somebody please give me some advice!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,705,470 times
See a lawyer. My non-lawyer's perspective: assuming your purchase of the car in November was "as-is", you took the risk that it would not pass inspection. Pay up.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,361 times
The only thing she told me about the car was the slave cylinder was bad. I told her no problem, an easy enough fix. Nothing was ever said about "as is". I told her every time I took it to be inspecte and she said she didn't know what was wrong with it. I told her I couldn't make a payment til January 2011. She was fine with that. At the time anyway. She wanted it back if I "couldn't" pay for it or didn't want it any longer. Her grandfather left her the money to buy her first car and this is it. I had no problem agreeing to her getting it back, EVENTUALLY. Not right after I've gone to all the trouble of fixing it and finally getting it on the road. It was in her mothers name anyway. She is the one who told me I could pay this coming weekend or next week. I think I'm just going to take it back and say the h--- with it. Lesson learned I guess. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH A FRIEND!

Old 01-13-2011, 08:56 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,070 times
I'll agree. You should have had it inspected.

What was the original agreement? Were you supposed to make a payment in December? If you couldn't make a payment until January, why did you take the car in November?

And frankly, who cares if her MOM told you that you could wait....the agreement was not with her mom. Pay her or give it back. She still has a loan on the car that she is paying but you have the car!

Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
What does your momma say to do?

Old 01-15-2011, 01:15 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,873,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeySlick View Post
The only thing she told me about the car was the slave cylinder was bad. I told her no problem, an easy enough fix. Nothing was ever said about "as is". I told her every time I took it to be inspecte and she said she didn't know what was wrong with it. I told her I couldn't make a payment til January 2011. She was fine with that. At the time anyway. She wanted it back if I "couldn't" pay for it or didn't want it any longer. Her grandfather left her the money to buy her first car and this is it. I had no problem agreeing to her getting it back, EVENTUALLY. Not right after I've gone to all the trouble of fixing it and finally getting it on the road. It was in her mothers name anyway. She is the one who told me I could pay this coming weekend or next week. I think I'm just going to take it back and say the h--- with it. Lesson learned I guess. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH A FRIEND!
All used cars are "As is" unless purchased through a dealer who give you a written warrantee.
As far as delaying the payment, why..? It will be paid off sooner if you start paying sooner. If you didn't have the money to make the January payment, that should have been discussed before you purchased the car. Don't buy anything you can't pay for..! I think she gave you a break selling you the car and carrying you. It may be junk, that's your fault, not hers.. Hope you learned a lesson, but it doesn't sound like you did, or you wouldn't have all the excuses...
If you know nothing about cars, you should have had it inspected
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance