Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 06:09 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you like banks when they give you money and hate them when they expect you to pay it back.
Uh. Please read my entire post.

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-22-2011 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: Deleted personal attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you like banks when they give you money and hate them when they expect you to pay it back.
Okaaayyy...since I'm obviously not allowed to defend myself against your very WRONG posting, I'm just going to say that you need to read my entire post before going off half cocked. The banks loaned me NOTHING. HELLLLLLOOOOOOO unemployment insurance is NOT a loan.

BTW, I consider bank worshippers to be mindless sheep. Get a mind of your own before it's too late. Banks are evil entities that get away with what you or I as individuals would NOT.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:39 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
BTW, I consider bank worshippers to be mindless sheep. Get a mind of your own before it's too late. Banks are evil entities that get away with what you or I as individuals would NOT.
Funny -- I consider bank haters the mindless sheep. The vast majority of banks are not evil entities at all. Are there bad banks? Yeah -- but painting all of them with the same brush is ridiculous.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:49 PM

Well, charging interest for imaginery (meaning not REAL money, just figures on a puter screen) money loaned IS evil and most banks that I know of do practice that, Compound that with the fact that when you pay it back, you're paying it back with REAL money. So... basically banks are loaning theoretical money and getting real cash money (you know, the out-in-circulation stuff) returned to them so they are effectively taking money out of circulation (IE keeping it for themselves).

Also, anyone who finances a home with a bank needs to realize (because I doubt very much the bank itself is going to be up-front about this little tidbit) that they will be paying for 3 houses essentially, after interest.

Oh, and lastly, the 2 presidents who had plans for an interest free banking system (hence free the wage slaves) were both assasinated. No proof of anything but it's made a lot of people wonder.

I could give you links, but you'd probably ignore them. But I've done my fair share of reading about these "pillars of society" and that's it. So if the bank-lovers aren't mindless sheep, what could doing a little research about banks hurt ? Just sayin'.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:11 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
My bank gave out the full amortization schedule when I signed for a loan.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I see these places all around, usually in or on the edge of downwardly mobile-slash-scary-slash-cheesy neighborhoods. Sometimes they are combined with pawn brokers or bail bondsmen. They have really tacky neon signs flashing that they will cash your check, or buy your gold & silver.

Have you EVER felt it necessary to go into one of these places? Can anyone go into a place like that and not feel "dirty?"

I do watch Pawn Stars on the History Channel, so I do see the legitimacy of some pawn brokers, in buying and selling antiques & collectibles. But when it comes to people pawning their crappy stuff to pay a bill or pay off a bookie....no.

And why on earth would someone need to cash a check at a place like that? If you can't get a bank account, something's seriously wrong, right? You're either an illegal alien (and haven't figured out that you can get a bank account despite that), or you're on the run from the law. Or maybe the check you are trying to cash maybe isn't written out to you (meaning you stole it or "found" it) or it's from an unseemly source.

Maybe I'm missing something. Is there any legitmate reason you would need to cash a check at a check-cashing place?

There is a consumer reporting agency called ChexSystems which has a really big database of people who owe banks money on accounts which were closed by the bank. (For example, banks will often close an account with negative balances of unpaid NSF charges.)

Since these people had accounts which were closed by their bank, they now need to find another bank to open an account.

But when they go to another bank to try opening an account, the bank checks the ChexSystems database, finds the person owes some other bank money, and the person gets rejected. They have to wait five years (until ChexSystems drops them off their list) to open another bank account.

That's a big reason why people go to check-cashing stores. Also, some immigrants come from cultures where there is a lot of distrust of banks, and they avoid banks.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,971 times
Does anyone think that people use check cashing places to cash their checks - especially checks issued by private parties rather than businesses who issue W-2's to file with our taxes - as a way of hiding money for tax reasons...so they don't have to pay taxes on it? Immigrants could fall into this category...they may be intimidated by having to file a tax return. Or... If someone was employed over the long term by an individual who paid them with a personal check...this would be to their advantage because they could exclude these funds from their tax returns. Many folks don't issue a 1099 for this type of person they pay w/a personal check. A check cashing place would be ideal for these people. Also, if they went directly to the bank that the check was drawn on, would the bank flag those checks once they noticed a pattern of someone coming in to cash a check on a regular basis? I've wondered about this because of noticing some people I suspect of working "under the table" without reporting all of their income. Example of some fields where this could be prevalent: landscapers, house cleaners, repairmen, massage therapists, manicurists and hairdressers, etc. Again, these could be fields that might attract immigrants....and I know some in those fields.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Does anyone think that people use check cashing places to cash their checks - especially checks issued by private parties rather than businesses who issue W-2's to file with our taxes - as a way of hiding money for tax reasons...so they don't have to pay taxes on it? Immigrants could fall into this category...they may be intimidated by having to file a tax return. Or... If someone was employed over the long term by an individual who paid them with a personal check...this would be to their advantage because they could exclude these funds from their tax returns. Many folks don't issue a 1099 for this type of person they pay w/a personal check. A check cashing place would be ideal for these people. Also, if they went directly to the bank that the check was drawn on, would the bank flag those checks once they noticed a pattern of someone coming in to cash a check on a regular basis? I've wondered about this because of noticing some people I suspect of working "under the table" without reporting all of their income. Example of some fields where this could be prevalent: landscapers, house cleaners, repairmen, massage therapists, manicurists and hairdressers, etc. Again, these could be fields that might attract immigrants....and I know some in those fields.
No. If I write someone a check, it's traceable. Doesn't matter where they cash it.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post

In my opinion, the amount of interest that they charge is criminal and these places shouldn't be allowed to operate.

Yup. I paused one of those pay day "loan" ads on tv. I read the fine print at the bottom. 96 F'ing % interest rate. I just about s**t myself like a baby. I guess since they aren't really considered a bank they can charge whatever rates they want.
And those rent a furniture/tv/computer joints holy jumping Jesus. I did the calcs on a bottom of the line $400 basic laptop that you can get at Wally World if you made the total amount of payments it would cost you about double what it costs new.

Those types of places simply prey on flat out desperate people.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:13 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
...people who get themselves into bad situations

Don't they need more help?

You spent $5,000 to save a dog. Do you realize how many people you could have fed or kept off of the streets for that?

Your posts in this thread both disgust and sadden me.

The thing is...the dog will give you a lifetime of love and devotion and never ask for anything more than pat on the head and a toss of a stick.

A person will take your 5k, blow it on cheap booze and condoms, then come back asking for more $.

I choose the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance