U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 PM

9,802 posts, read 18,760,337 times

Advertisements

I recently open a free checking/savings account at US BANK & they were quite nice. I did have to pay a $5.00 shipping charge for my free 200 checks. No min balance is required & i can use a walk up atm, drive thru atm, drop chute or walk in. US BANK also has plenty of branches incl 2 in beaumont, ca, 1 in redlands & 1 in yucaipa. The yucaipa branch is exactly 4 miles away. Chase is only 1 mile away but im NOT giving them $10.00 month. Chase bank fees are crazy now. Ill be closing my chase account by this thurs. If i dont close it by 2/10 ill be charged the service fee. I still have a chase cc but i wouldnt doubt it if chase lowers my credit limit or add a annual fee. If US BANK starts charging a service fee for the free basic checking/savings acct then ill go elsewhere.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41160154...consumer_news/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,303,607 times
I would never use Chase. Any bank that charges employees to cash their pay checks are dogs in my book.

I get better service with Capital One. No fees at all and they pay me for having my money with them.

busta

Old 01-29-2011, 12:22 PM

4,247 posts, read 10,683,386 times
Be part owner and get with a Credit Union.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 PM

16,533 posts, read 9,171,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Be part owner and get with a Credit Union.
Belonged to a credit union for over 20 years and have never paid a fee. There are fees if you overdraw, etc. but I don't go there.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I would never use Chase. Any bank that charges employees to cash their pay checks are dogs in my book.

I get better service with Capital One. No fees at all and they pay me for having my money with them.

busta
If you dont have a checking or savings account with chase they charge $6.00. Its crazy that banks incl us bank charge a fee to cash a check from that bank unless you have a account with the bank.

Banks sure have gotten greedy & the top 3 worse banks in the nation are bank of america, citibank & chase.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:02 PM

965 posts, read 2,849,082 times

The era of consumer satisfaction is dying faster than Eddie Murphy's career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post

busta
Good lord, serious? wow even Walmart allows their associates to cash their checks for free even though they aren't a bank. But they offer small money services.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:22 PM

110 posts, read 260,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
The era of consumer satisfaction is dying faster than Eddie Murphy's career.
Such dissatisfaction can be directly transformed into consumer action by the very simple act of joining a credit union. In most cases satisfaction will be achieved, at least when it comes to fees.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlstraQ View Post
Such dissatisfaction can be directly transformed into consumer action by the very simple act of joining a credit union. In most cases satisfaction will be achieved, at least when it comes to fees.
I would join a credit union if their was one nearby but their isnt. Chase is only 1 mile away but i switched to US BANK which is 4 miles away. Had it not been for the service charge by chase i would not of switched + US BANK has branches in alot of locations compared to credit unions.

I closed my checking account at chase today but according to the bank automated system my account is still active. Ill check again monday & if its still active ill have to talk to the mgr.

I have a feeling chase will either cancel, increase my intrest rate, lower my credit limit or charge a annual or monthly fee on my chase credit card. I use my cc to pay for my internet service, phone, gas, etc but no big ticket items. 200 more points (1.00 per point) & im eliglble for a 25.00 (2500 points) gift card good at select stores or arco gas station (Arco charges a transaction fee of .85).

Old 01-29-2011, 10:55 PM

965 posts, read 2,849,082 times
Well I doubt they'd be able to do that without notice and due reason.

Quote:
Oh believe me, I will. I'm watching Wells Fargo like a hawk and if I notice even one fee that screams bs, I'll cancel. I warned them once before about them charging me a fee a few months back on my savings account.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 PM

20,793 posts, read 54,650,996 times
I think the possible reason for US Bank not charging fees is that they are headquartered in MN where bank fees like you are talking about are not the norm. Yes, you will get overdraft fees, etc. but that isn't the same as having to have x dollars or you get a $10/monthly fee. We bank at Wells Fargo and have for over 30 years (through the various buy outs) and have never paid an account fee just to have an account. We get free checks and don't pay shipping on them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or