Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetkings01 View Post
He pretty much said he used some type of forms that he wont tell me about(dont care to know anyway) and did it online. I have no idea what he put down or what.....but I do know he was issued a refund from the IRS in the amount of $48-$55K which he used to purchase a vehicle. The IRS hit him with a $5K penalty and he told me that after paying the penalty the whole thing was over and done with. I'm just telling you what he and a couple others told me and I dont know that part for sure, but one thing that I'm 100% certain of is they all got refunds from the IRS in the amounts of $48-$55K and I dont plan on explaining this anymore!
Actually, you haven't explained anything. You have no idea HOW he did this. You didn't see any of the forms, documents, etc. All you know is that a known liar (or defrauder, if you prefer) told you something and you believe it. Here's an idea: why don't YOU try this little trick and let us know in a couple of years how it works out for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,415 times
Quote:
He pretty much said he used some type of forms that he wont tell me about(dont care to know anyway) and did it online
ah, those "secret" IRS forms....riiiigghhht....the ones the government doesn't want you to know about! haha

Quote:
I have no idea what he put down or what.....but I do know he was issued a refund from the IRS in the amount of $48-$55K which he used to purchase a vehicle.
You know that how? Did you see the IRS check? Their tax return?

Quote:
The IRS hit him with a $5K penalty and he told me that after paying the penalty the whole thing was over and done with.
Calling Bullsh*t on this...the IRS will never let you keep money that is theirs. The IRS does some crazy stuff, but they aren't that crazy!

Quote:
I'm just telling you what he and a couple others told me and I dont know that part for sure,
Proof by anecdotal evidence....ya ever notice that its never someone saying "I did this and it works!" Its always..."I have this family member/ friend/ex-husband/co-worker THEY did this and it works!"

Quote:
one thing that I'm 100% certain of is they all got refunds from the IRS in the amounts of $48-$55K and I dont plan on explaining this anymore!
Did I miss where you started to explain this?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:58 AM

72 posts, read 451,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Actually, you haven't explained anything. You have no idea HOW he did this. You didn't see any of the forms, documents, etc. All you know is that a known liar (or defrauder, if you prefer) told you something and you believe it. Here's an idea: why don't YOU try this little trick and let us know in a couple of years how it works out for you?
Why do I sense anger in your post? Calm down.....its really not that serious! If you have family members your close to you pretty much know their financial situation. I know damn well he doesn't have $20K to buy a truck and pay for it cash and I know damn well his wife doesn't either. I know for a fact he did it, but if you want to be ignorant and get on your high horse mrs/mr I know it all.......than be my guest. If what I said wasn't true than why would I even start a thread and arguing with you jerks for the past 3 days?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
ah, those "secret" IRS forms....riiiigghhht....the ones the government doesn't want you to know about! haha

You know that how? Did you see the IRS check? Their tax return?

Calling Bullsh*t on this...the IRS will never let you keep money that is theirs. The IRS does some crazy stuff, but they aren't that crazy!

Proof by anecdotal evidence....ya ever notice that its never someone saying "I did this and it works!" Its always..."I have this family member/ friend/ex-husband/co-worker THEY did this and it works!"

Did I miss where you started to explain this?
I'm just curious....are you well liked on this board? You just come off as a very stubborn person when shown proof that people have actually been issued refunds from this "scam" you still say no way the IRS sent them the money! I never said it wasn't a scam and if you read my OP you would see that I was asking a question of the consequences of claiming this on a tax refund since the people I know for a fact claimed it said they only received a $5K penalty from the government! But since your so hell bent on proving me wrong by spewing your garbage, you overlooked that part and assume I'm a liar just trying to get a rise out of people! To answer your questions....

#1 - I know it because he sat me down for 2 hrs explaining it to me. I also spoke with 2 other family members he did it for and all said they got hit with the penaltly but had the checks direct deposited into their bank accounts. They all bought fairly new cars with cash.

#2 - Who said the IRS said they could keep the money? Did you hear me say that or are you putting words in my mouth? They paid the penalty so obviously the IRS knows they did it, but by my uncle asking for a small cut after you receive the check....what does he stand to gain from this if the IRS doesn't even issue the refunds? He's not asking for a cut upfront.....only after you receive the refund.

#3 - The reason "I" cant say I did this is because "I" never have and never will! I have more to lose than them since I'm a 30yr old black man with a 16 month old son, stay @ home wife and home that we got a mortgage on when we were both 27. I worked hard to be in the position I'm in, but I have people in my life that weren't as blessed as I am or not as dedicated so they look for the easy way out. My whole purpose of this thread was to gather info to bring back to them and let them know......."Hey you guys are really gonna put yourself in a hole doing this and it aint worth it" but it's hard to do that once you google it and you have a hard time finding anything that backs up your argument against it.

I'll bet broadbill will read this, ignore it and carry on with argument that I'm a liar and I dont know what I'm talking about. So carry on sir.........

Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 AM

Went back and read a page of broadbill's post..........def a know it all!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Why do I sense anger in your post? Calm down.....its really not that serious! If you have family members your close to you pretty much know their financial situation. I know damn well he doesn't have $20K to buy a truck and pay for it cash and I know damn well his wife doesn't either. I know for a fact he did it, but if you want to be ignorant and get on your high horse mrs/mr I know it all.......than be my guest. If what I said wasn't true than why would I even start a thread and arguing with you jerks for the past 3 days?
There's no anger. Just amusement. You have no proof of exactly what your relative did. Just his word. I'm just pointing that out, which seems to bother you. So seriously ... if you want to know how this is done ... DO it.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
There's no anger. Just amusement. You have no proof of exactly what your relative did. Just his word. I'm just pointing that out, which seems to bother you. So seriously ... if you want to know how this is done ... DO it.
You pretty much added nothing to the discussion! If my uncle gives me his word, then I believe it. Your the one who seems to want/need proof, if you have no answer(s) to my original question then please move along.....nothing to see here!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
You pretty much added nothing to the discussion! If my uncle gives me his word, then I believe it. Your the one who seems to want/need proof, if you have no answer(s) to my original question then please move along.....nothing to see here!
I think it's pretty obvious that everyone here (me included) is trying to get you to understand that the answer to your original question is... yes, it has to be paid back. You're the one arguing that it's not the case because your relative told you so. The IRS has clearly stated that it's not legitimate and that it has to be paid back + penalties.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:54 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,415 times
Quote:
I think it's pretty obvious that everyone here (me included) is trying to get you to understand that the answer to your original question is... yes, it has to be paid back. You're the one arguing that it's not the case because your relative told you so. The IRS has clearly stated that it's not legitimate and that it has to be paid back + penalties.
I guess you have your answer streetkings01. Not only that, you have incriminated your Uncle in this scam when you mentioned he "helps" other people with the paperwork to claim this credit in exchange for a cut of the money. On a public discussion forum, no less.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:13 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
He pretty much said he used some type of forms that he wont tell me about(dont care to know anyway) and did it online. I have no idea what he put down or what.....but I do know he was issued a refund from the IRS in the amount of $48-$55K which he used to purchase a vehicle. The IRS hit him with a $5K penalty and he told me that after paying the penalty the whole thing was over and done with. I'm just telling you what he and a couple others told me and I dont know that part for sure, but one thing that I'm 100% certain of is they all got refunds from the IRS in the amounts of $48-$55K and I dont plan on explaining this anymore!
Sounds like he knows what he did was wrong, and he's lucky he didn't get caught and is trying to keep you from doing it and getting caught.

OR he won the lottery and is trying to keep it from relatives who will come of out of the woodwork with their hands open... good excuse to use to explain the new cars and any other new stuff he got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance