U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:20 AM

3,600 posts, read 6,914,324 times

Advertisements

Even if you had full medical coverage, it is likely that it didn't cover the entire hospital bill. Most insurance plans have co-pays, deductibles, and a certain percentage that you have to pay. My insurance pays 90% if I use certain providers, for example, after I meet my deductible. I'm responsible for the other 10%. Even if your insurance company paid, you probably still owed the hospital your portion. Medical bills are not likely to show up on a credit report, by the way, since they aren't credit. The collection and garnishment might show up.

You can go to the courthouse and get a copy of the judgment against you from the clerk. You can also ask to see what evidence was presented that you owed the debt.

You can go to the hospital and ask their billing department to see what was paid on your account, how much you owed, and any records of them attempting to contact you or your husband (the insured). You'll be able to see exactly what the insurance company paid.

You need to stop blaming everyone else for what happened to you and start researching this. Did "full coverage" actually mean that they were paying 100%, like Medicaid, or were there certain things or percentages that insurance didn't cover? Did your former husband hide bills from you, or did he pay the bills and not let you know about the medical expenses? What did the court judgment say? It is rare that garnishments allow them to take more than a certain percentage of your paycheck - even judges know that you still have to eat and pay rent. Did you give the collectors electronic access to your checking account? Is that how they got the money out? If you think that there is something shady going on with the garnishment department, have you written a letter to the regional managers or to BofA headquarters to report your concerns? They won't be happy to learn about that if it is indeed happening - banks like BofA have much tighter standards than the local Farmers & Mechanics S&L is likely to have.

Just go and talk to the hospital billing department and take a look at your account. Then you'll see whether or not you actually owe the money and why. In the future, you need to pay much more attention to your finances - there's no reason that you should have been surprised by any of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 11:42 AM

21 posts, read 77,210 times
Yes I did follow through and had the hospital resubmit in 2007/2008 and not a single call or letter until they served me in 2010 for unpaid medical bills not a portion that the insurance did not cover but the entire bill. If your last contact with these companies were yes we resumbmitted and never received any contact again until years later what was I supposed to think. This is very small town, I know several people who have dealt with this collection agency and no one has ever had a bank levy!! I owe these 2,192.58 its not a huge amount. If there are laws stating your wages cannot be garnished for more than 25 percent but they can take the entire paycheck from the account seems unfair. I'm not blaming anyone but I know that the way this collection agency works is not a computered generated name that gets spit out they have actual files that collectors pick and choose from!! I understand I owe but the way this agency works is borderline illegal if not illegal. I'm not the first one to question their practices either!!

Old 01-17-2012, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 804 times
i am going through a similar situation my bank account was stripped of 1800.00 by a sheriff for a law firm that never even contacted me about this judgement which wasfrom 1998. I have called them numerous times asking why they didntgive me a chance to validate this debt Idont remember having a sears account nor ever received supoenas court papers nor any paperwork in ref to this debt. I have fileda motion with the court but have to wait to see whAT HAPPENS IAM TOTALLY BROKE NOW AND AFRAID TO PUT ANY MONEY INMY CHECKING ACCOUNT. So i know is it legal for them to do this without trying to contact me first this was 14 yearss ago and they use the excuse it was sent toan old address how which was changed in 2005 did they find my checking account

Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 PM

14,468 posts, read 15,783,082 times
Default statute of limitations protects you the consumer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_moon75 View Post
Its bank of america and yes they can sue you without you being there or having knowledge of it. The crappy part is that I want this place investigated for their collection practices because I know that its not just "random" I was told by this same person how she has done this to other people because she had problems with them but people she knew had their files misplaced. I had a falling out with her and was in the process of taking her to small claims court that all of sudden these bills that I had no knowledge still existed came to surface. I know people who have been garnished by this same company and it took months of calls from the collections department, to court for judgement to the actual garnishment and none of them have had their bank accounts levied even though they owed more than I did. Its not tens of thousands of dollars it was 1950.00 I owed!!
Forget the collection place. They are sleaze and will do anything to collect.
you need to call an attorney-OP what state are you in?? statute of limitations on medical bills is 7 years in most states, after that it is AGAINST FEDERAL law for them to take money, garnish, or proffer a levy on your private bank account.

Medical debt collection rules, advice and information

If you are legally divorced and it was your ex's bill, you are NOT responsible for one cent. Third party collections sweatshops are there to threaten and eke out money many times from bad debt that by law should have been written off. They count on debtors not knowing the law, making a payment on an old expired debt, so the statute of limitations is voided and they resume collections.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:15 PM

827 posts, read 985,931 times
I went to my bank this past friday for a cash withdraw.Capitol one said they don't have the money on hand.I said OK I will be back tomorrow Sat.Capital 1 said they will call me when they get it.Today monday May14 they called and said they MAY have money by Wednesday.I read they have 1 business day to get my money they said they do not have a time limit.I'm waiting for the FDIC to get back to me.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:36 PM

28 posts, read 100,280 times
When they levy your account do they just take out what you owed or do they freeze it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance