Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:34 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
My income affects how much I can afford to pay as rent. What I can afford as rent is the same as what I can afford as a mortgage payment.

If I can afford to pay $1000 a month for rent, then I can afford to pay $1000 for mortgage and real estate taxes...and no more.
I get it now .. but a lot of people don't do that. When we were renting, we rented as inexpensively as possible, so we could save to buy a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 02:35 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
All you need to do is determine one month of expenses, then multiply it by 6. But, also don't forget to include expenses that don't occur monthly, such as an annual motor vehicle tax, tax return payments, or auto insurance (if you don't pay monthly), etc.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:04 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
All you need to do is determine one month of expenses, then multiply it by 6. But, also don't forget to include expenses that don't occur monthly, such as an annual motor vehicle tax, tax return payments, or auto insurance (if you don't pay monthly), etc.
Alternately, to catch some of those less frequent expenses, add up all your expenses for a 12 month period, and divide by 2. If you balance your account in a program like Quicken or Quickbooks, this is easy to do. If you do everything on a cash basis, and don't keep track, it will be much more difficult. But then, that means you aren't living with a budget either, and that is not the way to get financially healthy.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:23 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
My income affects how much I can afford to pay as rent. What I can afford as rent is the same as what I can afford as a mortgage payment.

If I can afford to pay $1000 a month for rent, then I can afford to pay $1000 for mortgage and real estate taxes...and no more.
YOu may make decisions that way(by calculating the absolute max you can pay for rent and still put food on your own table) but other people don't and to do this this way is not smart.
Most people have a maximum price they will pay for rent(which is less than what they can actually afford) and then try to find a place that meets their needs at the lowest they can. Often this price is much lower. So like I previously said in this case and most cases rent has nothing to do with what you can afford in a mortgage payment.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:19 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I get it now .. but a lot of people don't do that. When we were renting, we rented as inexpensively as possible, so we could save to buy a house.
A thousand bucks a month IS cheap here. That's rent and utilities though, not just rent.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:42 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
General rule-of-thumb with home ownership is you're going to pay 0.8% to 1% of the cost of the home per year for all the expenses of maintenance, insurance, taxes, etc.

https://www.caniretireyet.com/rentin...ome-ownership/

Old 06-19-2019, 06:48 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times
8 year old thread resurrection!

Old 06-19-2019, 07:05 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
If your house payment is more than your rent, then you would be living beyond your means. Get a smaller house.
What are you talking about?! Do you think everyone lives in a tiny home?? Rent has nothing to do with housing costs whatsoever. Plenty of people rent a one or two bedroom apartment, almost nobody buys a two bedroom house nor do they even make those anywhere lol. Maybe a townhouse has two bedrooms, not a real house. Beyond your means is defined as unable to afford the house payments reasonably, that’s it. If I’m making $50,000/month and move from a temporary one bedroom at $1,300/month to a house with $10,000/month in payments that’s not beyond my means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
General rule-of-thumb with home ownership is you're going to pay 0.8% to 1% of the cost of the home per year for all the expenses of maintenance, insurance, taxes, etc.

Guess whoever wrote that is an absolute idiot then. The average property taxes alone are more than 1% per year! Nevada has some of the cheapest property taxes in the US and it’s still 0.78% effective tax. There’s no way your maintenance costs averaged over 20 years are going to run low enough to be 0.80% even in Nevada. It would be much closer to 1.5-2% most places, especially in Texas where property taxes alone are well over 2%.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
its common to put money away in an emergency fund in case you need it.

my question is this, what if i dont know what my expenses are?

i mean i currently know what they are, but i wont know what they are down the line when i eventually get a house.

is it just based off what your expenses are now, or do you kind of predict what theyll be down the line.

thanks.
You base it off your current expenses. Once you buy a house you adjust

Old 06-20-2019, 01:05 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post

not in these parts ...taxes alone on a 600-700k average home are 12-18k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance