Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

Bankrupsyis the solution for him.he is young and he is youg enigh to recover form it in some eyars. but remmeebr thathe has to live seven years andf then his credit will have to be reestablished it does get to high level automatically. That will mean some years after at high interest rates compared t good credit. But he likely never really estblished good credit i the first place. he needs to realise now important this is i the future to save alot of money on inetrest or i mnay case now even qaultify for such things as auto manufacturers very low rates. Alot of people are finding they do not qualify now for those advertised rates ;"for well qualified buyers".Now going forward not only good credit at higher levels but debt to income will be more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 10:37 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
texdav, I know I'm not the first person on any forum to beg you to stop texting and please write out what you say. The little I can decipher shows me that you have a lot to say and contribute and I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing I could read your posts.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:33 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Montana
Well crap. Unfortunately they can garnish wages in Montana. Do you know how much he makes per week?

Old 04-06-2011, 11:57 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Had he not gone to the hospital, he would've died. I am having a hard time with the fact he is only 20 and looking at bankruptcy. There has to be some other way.
but but but we don't need healthcare reform.

I'd look into the bankruptcy option. It's not like he's going to be buying a house any time soon. Also, he can move towns. If he's in a rut, having him move in wouldn't be a bad thing.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:25 AM

52 posts, read 70,495 times
Nobody has mentioned the first step, which is asking the debt collectors to validate the debts. If they don't have the right paperwork, they have no right to collect and won't be able to garnish his wages.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:26 AM

70 posts, read 223,032 times
Quote:
its a great motivator to actually save up and pay cash. That'll save you boatloads in interest.
Yes, it's truly a great motivator to save and pay in cash. It's all about creating a proper budget, and that we can do if we're able to identify expenses that we may actually do without. With the debt volume our interest rate a re bound to fall.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:50 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missed View Post
Nobody has mentioned the first step, which is asking the debt collectors to validate the debts. If they don't have the right paperwork, they have no right to collect and won't be able to garnish his wages.
Unfortunately you have to do that within 30 days of their dunning letter for it to have any teeth. That time has probably already passed.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:43 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Well crap. Unfortunately they can garnish wages in Montana. Do you know how much he makes per week?
We sat down and wrote everything out-what bills he has every month what bills he has every three months ect.... After rent, insulin/durable medical supplies for his insulin pump, utilities, gas, food and car insurance, he has less than $50 left at the end of the month. If anything happens like car needs fixing, he has to save for at least two months. The bankruptcy attorney said he has a better than good shot based on all the bills are medical and he has no extra income at the end of the month. Looking good so far-I want to thank everyone for the help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance