Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:27 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,169,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
The point was that you spend that much MORE by using plastic, than handing over cold hard cash.

So, my premise is correct AND your statement is wrong.
I just LOVE blanket statements. Not everyone that uses credit cards overspends. YOU might, but I don't. I am on a budget. I use credit as a convenience. When I go to the grocery store I have a list of what I need to buy. As I walk around I might find some great deals to add to the basket for my pantry, but more often than not, I don't. And when we wrote checks for groceries (before there were debit cards! I'm OLD!) we did the exact same thing.

So my spending would be that same cash or credit.

I use a price book, so I know what are normal sale prices and what are deal prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 01:13 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,044,734 times
It's not like cash is hard to get these days. Maybe 20 (30?) years ago when there wasn't an ATM machine on every corner and you actually had to go to the bank only paying in cash may have resulted in less spending.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I decide what I'm going out to buy first. I decide what method to pay for that item after.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:18 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,170,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Not everyone that uses credit cards overspends. YOU might, but I don't. I am on a budget. I use credit as a convenience.
Yup. I laugh at the "you spend more" claims, I've got a monthly budget too and I spend within regardless of payment form.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,691,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You forgot one: Earn flight miles. I have several free round trips on southwest waiting for me.
My mom does this. She puts everything (including groceries) on the credit card, and pays it off when the bill comes every month. She and my dad go on cruises a couple times a year, and it costs maybe just a couple hundred dollars, because the rewards points cover the rest.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:35 PM

77,974 posts, read 60,153,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
This is why I say read...

It's talking about HOW MUCH MORE PEOPLE SPEND using plastic over cash... NOT INTEREST!!!

Thank you for making my point.
Then why the heck did you reference interest rates in your post.....

What we have here is a miscommunication followed by you saying that you never wrote stuff when it's right there in the thread.

Ugh.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 PM

77,974 posts, read 60,153,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Yup. I laugh at the "you spend more" claims, I've got a monthly budget too and I spend within regardless of payment form.
Bingo. I save first, whatever is left I can spend.

Seems like some people can't grasp that crazy dynamic around here.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:03 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,102,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Then why the heck did you reference interest rates in your post.....

What we have here is a miscommunication followed by you saying that you never wrote stuff when it's right there in the thread.

Ugh.

No Genius. The Article Referenced the fact that people will spend 12-18% MORE using plastic rather than green.

As I said... It may help if you do some reading...

As to those who CLAIM that they do not spend more...
Perhaps.

Perhaps.

IF it is true... IF... You are rare, and kudos to you.

But I'd say that many (Not all) of those who believe that are incorrect.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:22 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,415,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
"If you're smart, you use credit as a tool" . . . to steal all you can from those who are not smart. Are you proud of yourself for that?
I'm not stealing from anyone. I didn't force stupid people to rack up debt that they can't afford. With a minority of exceptions, that's their problem. In fact, I'M paying for them now - in the form of all the bailouts and future taxes I'll need to pay to get us all out of this collective mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance