Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:56 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,424 times

Advertisements

I spend as little as possible for a number of reasons. First of all I am in my early 30's and ever since being in the job market things have seldom been stable. I graduated during the dot-com and by the time I moved to Cali it was all over and we were in a recession. I worked for 3-4 years at crappy retail jobs making minimum wage until I landed something. After that experience of barely squeaking by each month I still live almost exactly the same. I know what a dollar is worth.

I now do pretty well. But the problem is that where I live- the Bay Area- the cost of real estate is so high that what would be considered a very good income elsewhere is just so-so here and if you want to buy a house, well good luck: You will blow all of your income on it. Thus the long term game plan is to save save save and then move out of state where houses a affordable. Then afterward we would buy a house and basically have no debt to speak of. We already have some retirement savings thus whatever we would save in our new location would partially go towards saving for retirement.

As is now, we barely spend anything. We drive rather old, high-mileage beater cars. We still have a crappy TV found on the curb. In fact most of the furniture and stuff we have in our rental is curbside crap-some of which is surprisingly nice. We rarely eat out. I taught myself how to repair cars thus I've replaced the brakes, clutch, radiator, and a few other things in the car. Most of the clothes comes from Goodwill. I could go on and on. But at the end of the day the only thing I care about is saving money so we can move out of here. Reason being- there is a lot less available work in other places in my field. I very well might have to change careers and would likely make a lot less. Then again- if we owned our house outright and had no debts... then who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 01:18 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I take no risks.

That's impossible. Doing what you're doing is actually quite risky. This statement indicates that you're not of aware of the risks you take, which is often the riskiest path of all.

Honestly, if you're serious that you'd kill yourself if you were out of work....I'd say you've got some serious psychological / emotional problems. I don't mean that as an insult or attack, just something you might want to look at.

BTW, my friend who only worked sporadically for 5 years also thought about killing himself. I don't understand what's so hard about having some kind of cushion to fall back on so that a person won't want to kill himself. Seems like a less stressful and more enjoyable way to live, IMO.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I can't recall ever being sick enough that I couldn't work. And I've always had a job. The day I got out of the Navy, I already had a job lined up.
What's happened in the past does not guarantee the future. I guess next you're going to tell us that since you're not dead yet, you'll never die.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
True. But for a lot of people, if you have some level of disposable income, there is nothing wrong with spending on occasional wants. As long as doing so does not involve spending money one does not have.
I don't have a problem with that. We all spend money on things that are not absolute needs.

But as Jean Chatzky detailed in her book The Difference, 69% of people live either payday to payday or are going further in debt. This was based on a survey of 5000 American households before the recession hit full force in 2008. It's sad and unnecessary that so many people live like that.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
What's happened in the past does not guarantee the future. I guess next you're going to tell us that since you're not dead yet, you'll never die.
well, I won't know until it happens, will I?

if the time comes I cannot work, though, I'll end it. There is no other reason to live except work.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 PM

106,643 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Anyone want to go partners on a life insurance policy on ole tkramer???? we want to profit from this .

Old 04-01-2011, 06:58 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we want to profit from this .
No. You don't. Profiting from anything but your own labor is wrong.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
well, I won't know until it happens, will I?

if the time comes I cannot work, though, I'll end it. There is no other reason to live except work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance